Question About Tech and BIG 10

F

FallOnTheFlats

Does anybody know if the Big 10 has serious interest in adding Tech? Have the Big 10 and Tech had talks about Tech joining? Is there any possibility Tech could join the Big 10 in the next few years? I'm wondering if there is any information, as opposed to conjecture, about this.

byteback

Dodd-Like
There were lots and I mean...lots of rumors that there was serious discussions. There were multiple threads on here and The Hive.

But it was never confirmed an actual discussion took place. The Institute denied any discussion took place.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

gtbuzz2011

Dodd-Like
I doubt we'd push for another away game against Clemson just to bolt in the next five years. Unless the landscape changes significantly, I'd say we're committed to the ACC.

TheTaxJacket

Dodd-Like
There was a ton of speculation at rivals too.

Nothing materialized and nobody knows if real discussions took place.

I don't think there is anything there.

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Listening to the posters on these boards who actually seem to have connections to the industry or the school, it sounds like we're open to discussions and we've talked to the Big 10, just like a bunch of other schools. I would say conversations have been sporadic over several years.

All schools are involved in conversations to varying degrees. We won't know that things have gotten serious until 24 hours before an announcement, and by then it will have been decide.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I would assume we are solid in ACC

UNLESS someone else bolts.

And that may depend on umd's exit fee case.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Proof existed that we were staying in the ACC. People just chose not to acknowledge it.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Does anybody know if the Big 10 has serious interest in adding Tech? Have the Big 10 and Tech had talks about Tech joining? Is there any possibility Tech could join the Big 10 in the next few years? I'm wondering if there is any information, as opposed to conjecture, about this.
ITT: Conjecture.

Hazely

Varsity Lurker
I sat next to ESPN's B1G blogger, Adam Rittenberg, on a plane to Miami after Christmas. (He drew the short stick and had to cover NIU in the Orange Bowl.)

When asked about conference expansion, he said it's up to Tech whether they want to join or not. B1G wants GT (and the ATL cable subscriptions to their TV network).

Y Jacket

Flats Noob
I sat next to ESPN's B1G blogger, Adam Rittenberg, on a plane to Miami after Christmas. (He drew the short stick and had to cover NIU in the Orange Bowl.)

When asked about conference expansion, he said it's up to Tech whether they want to join or not. B1G wants GT (and the ATL cable subscriptions to their TV network).
I think this is the point. Any look at the Big I taking MD and Rutgers leads to GT fitting the same model. And an expectation that the Big I called GT before taking Rutgers (no proof on my part). Watching whether MD and Rutgers can bring in the kind of money that was projected for MD will tell you how much the Big I will continue to want GT. I doubt we go anywhere in the next several years but I expect we always have an invite to the Big I if one of the big football schools in the ACC decides to do something.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Back when this was all starting I emailed president Peterson saying I wanted us to go to the Big Ten and reach out to UVA to come with us. I said the move to include Louisville was a panicked move that shows a lack of direction at the top.

Peterson responded by saying he independently and others closely assoiated with the athletic association are constantly assessing our situation and feel the ACC is our best option at this time. He said he just can't see our fans going to Lafayette, Madison, or Lansing, or elsewhere on a regular basis.

Take it for what it's worth.