Question for football experts....

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
In my time as a football fan I have noticed that QBs are developed, and few disagree with the importance of experience when it comes to that position. QBs who looked horrible at first then turned into superstars are common.

But RBs seem to have it or they don't. I can't think of any RBs that were average runners who developed into superstars. (I think I am not paying close enough attention.) Granted I'm feeling pretty good after predicting that Jones would have a poor game against us because he is too slow to hurt a fast front 7. This is also true of Suggs who everyone at VT loves and who has kept VT's other RB (also named Jones) from being a Heismann candidate.

So Daniels had looked average to me (I'm not alone) but then rips two big runs against FSU and I am wondering, is it possible for him to be 'developing' into a dominating rusher? Is it possible that hints of future greatness is what we saw in those two runs or were we just experiencing normal statistical variation?

I am guessing that we will just have to wait and see to know for sure, but maybe some of y'all have some insight that this layman can't see.

(I'm no expert but I will offer my opinion)

I agree that running back is very much a talent and instinct driven position. For the most part you either have it or don't. "Vision", "balance", "burst", "slippery" are all descriptive words most often used for great running backs. Those traits can't be coached or practiced.

However I do believe experience can make one better at anything. So can confidence in your ability. I think PJ is gaining some of this.

At the same time I don't think an average back can become a great back with experience and confidence. You can bump yourself up some, but at some point talent will shake out the studs.

I haven't seen an abundance of raw talent from PJ. I think he could be a good back for Tech if he keeps improving. After Saturday there is definately a lot more to be hopeful about with PJ. What PJ doesn't have in talent, he more than makes up for in HEART. I'll take heart anyday over a guy whose loaded with talent and doesn't give a flip (cough*Jasper Sanks*cough).

There is hope; there are examples of running backs blossoming late. Terrel Davis and Priest Holmes come to mind.

The thing is, he has been knocked for not having breakaway speed.

He has looked slower than Woods IMHO for instance.

Yet he held his own in the open field against the FSU DBs. I think this FSU D is overrated when guys actually compare them to the FSU D's from the 90s. Compared to those D's I think this FSU D is relatively slow.

But still, they are way faster than average.

I think I was wrong about his speed (it is good enough) and it might just be that he is gaining important confidence out there.

First of all, there are no experts around here. So don't expect too much from us.

But IMO, you can teach a kid to be a better running back, but there are some intangibles as well as the speed, strengths demands as well. Some guys seem to be able to "feel" the hole before it opens, or either they can see it very early.

PJ is a tough kid and does look better than last year. I still don't think he has the speed to be a true feature back but he is very serviceable. I think Ace has a little better package overall when he's healthy and Woods does look quicker. I think the secret for us this year is to have the right guy in for what we're running at a given point in the game.

I will offer my opinion.

Almost any player can be coached up and made to be a better player, but you cannot make a Rolls Royce out of a Ford or Chevrolet standard sedan.

Father

besides what others have said, dont forget that PJ has never gotten the majority of practice snaps or reps until this year

multiple reps to the point where the play is acted out naturally, with the mind able to focus on the reality on the field - and reacting to it, it takes time and practice

PJ (as you saw) has good wide-open speed, but he is not the fastest getting into 5th gear.
=
Hollings, in comparison was probably the quickest accelerating RB - esp around a corner, that ive ever seen!
-
when you are still a bit hesitant and thinking too much about the running of the play, you hit the holes a little slow and they are already getting filled

look at the tape on the TD run and see how fast PJ is already going when he exits the hole - that gives him enough time to put it into 5th gear

PJ will improve his vision and wiggle as he runs the plays more often. Then he will need to work on his "JFB mental toughness" game and become a leader on this team - or watchout, there are others wanting to tote the rock

PJ's dash shocked me. I didn't think he had the speed.

PJ looked a lot better this game. He seemed a lot more decisive than before. I think he decided where he was going quicker at FSU and could work up more speed than in previous games by the time he got to the hole. I was also impressed by his balance. The big run came on a cut back. He also had a first down run where he was hit and spun off the FSU man.

I don't think he has much explosive acceleration though. Did anyone see TJ Duckett's run where they did a toss sweep right? The Redskins had a line of defenders strung out to the sideline and TJ nearly came to a stop searching for an opening. He spotted one and suddenly exploded threw a tiny hole and over a man or two for 10 or 11 yards. I don't think PJ has that.

Back