Question for RM: Zone blocking vs Scheme blocking

BeerNutts

Not a Noob
I understand we are running a scheme blocking, which I take to mean every OL'man has someone specifcally they are going to block as opposed to a Zone blocking (which we've run in the past), which has the OL blocking someone in their zone, not a particular player.

Why are we running the scheme blocking this year, and not zone blocking? From Gailey, he implied it is because our guys are not big/strong enough, yet they are athletic enough to do alot of pulling.

Your thoughts?

We are not big enough or strong enough right now to run a smash mouth running game. I know in time we will be, you try and utilize your strengths that will help you be successful.

Right now one of the things i hate is that we have a lot of deep hand offs which allows the DL to get penatration and blow the play up before it starts. I would however like to see quicker hitting traps and more quick sweeps where PJ and TC and running downhill fast.

I think if you go back and look some of our most successful plays have been the sweeps. again, i would like to see the TE more involved but they have to catch the ball.

Just my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

"I would however like to see quicker hitting traps and more quick sweeps where PJ and TC and running downhill fast."
I right here widja on this one JD. I've seen this problem in HS ball more than college, where the O Line opens a dang good hole but it collapses by the time the runner gets up to the line. I like to see our offense use the fast hitting plays since our line is still a bit green. When they get another year or two, we can run those plays that meander a while before getting out of the back field. Don't know why we would want to, but....................
When one goes to the "head" at halftime, one likes to get in there, get done, and get out VERY QUICKLY, no dilly dallying around in there. That's the way I like my offense. Give that man the ball and kick him in the ...... Fast !!!!!
and get him out of that backfield.

Back