Question for the oldtimers (colors)

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
This may be redundant, but...

I recall my dad (played in '49/'50) telling me the story of the introduction of the Navy color.
As I recall it had something to do with Tech going to a bowl (maybe it WAS a regular season game, but I recal it being a bowl FWIW), and somehow the jerseys didn't get shipped, or didn't get packed - whichever, the jerseys didn't show up on time, and the Tech trainers had to get the olny jerseys that they could find, and these happened to be navy.

This happened in the way back then - 60 some years ago....

if this is true, and I assume it is, doesn't this count as "tradition" as much as any ?

I think its a cool story and worthy of "Tech folklore" IMO......

Is this the story oldtimers ?

One of the earliest known times that navy blue was worn was the 1939 Orange Bowl vs Missouri (game played 1-1-40). Tech wore blue under Dodd in his first year (1945) and Tech actually wore blue helmets some during the '40s. Dodd had Tech in blue many times in the '40s and '50s. In the '50s, blue was worn on the road when other schools wanted to wear white at home.

Looking at old photos, it appears to me that Tech wore Navy (or possibly black) sweatshirts to begin with.

gt_team.jpg

1916 GT Team Photo

RamblinBuzz

I wonder if thats the same bowl game that I'm referring to - do you happen to know ? (ie being forced to use them under the circumstances)

Just an interesting story IMO

Gold Rush -

Since Missouri wore "gold" jerseys, Tech broke out blue so to have a clear contrast between both schools. This is from the 1940 Blueprint. My understanding is that Tech chose blue because it had worn it before at some point in its history.

Navy or black is fine with me for trim or numbers, the real push ought to be to establish "OLD GOLD" as the shade of gold - not canary, not cheddar, not yellow, but OLD GOLD - it goes beautifully with both Navy and Black.

Back