Question Re: next year's new ACC bowl lineup

jescho

Varsity Lurker
Question Re: next year\'s new ACC bowl lineup

I haven't read any news stories about how the new ACC and new Big East bowl bids are being affected by the changes next year.

It seems obvious that restructuring of the bids will need to be examined and certainly changed. It makes sense that the ACC should annex a Big East bowl bid, but which one:
BCS - BE #1 (of course this one is questionable)
Gator - BE #2
Insight - BE #3
Contenntal BE #4
San Fransisco BE #5

The Insight seems the logical choice. And something has to be done with the Gator and Contenental bowls, new ACC #2 vs new BE #2 & new ACC #5 vs new BE #4 are hardly compelling games anymore.

This is a big issue that I have read nothing about. Has anybody read or (dare I ask) heard of any potential changes?

Re: Question Re: next year\'s new ACC bowl lineup

Yes. I read in the AJC when the expansion mess was going on where the commissioner of the ACC (Swofford, I think it is?) said that the ACC expansion would definitely force the bowls to reconsider the bowl lineups. There was even a quote from one of the bowls which carried one of the lower-ranked Big East schools and they confirmed that they would definitely be looking at revisiting the guaranteed bowl matchups with Va Tech and Miami out of the picture.

I don't think this has actually happened yet and I expect it will most likely occur sometime during this football and bowl season.

Back