Question regarding coaching philosophies

Buzz4Him

Flats Noob
BigBee always had the philosophy to play in a way to make the other team beat you. Keep the game close until the 4th quarter and then pull out the win. The only 2 instances that come to mind was the UGAg game in '00 and the Navy game last year.

I thought the Navy game was him sending a message to FSU for our game with him next week. The UGAg game was payback for the "fumble-gate" that the AUC ran in '99.

This used to drive me nuts, but it also made for some exciting games.

Anyway, my question is what is CG's philosophy?

The Vandy game tends to make me think that he likes to go ahead and get up on the opponent and then nail the lid shut. Do you think that this is the case and we will start seeing a new type of football? One where we get up big early and then let the 2nd teamers and reserves play a lot of the snd half and/or 4th quarter?

Originally posted by Buzz4Him:
BigBee always had the philosophy to play in a way to make the other team beat you. Keep the game close until the 4th quarter and then pull out the win. The only 2 instances that come to mind was the UGAg game in '00 and the Navy game last year.

I thought the Navy game was him sending a message to FSU for our game with him next week. The UGAg game was payback for the "fumble-gate" that the AUC ran in '99.

This used to drive me nuts, but it also made for some exciting games.

Anyway, my question is what is CG's philosophy?

The Vandy game tends to make me think that he likes to go ahead and get up on the opponent and then nail the lid shut. Do you think that this is the case and we will start seeing a new type of football? One where we get up big early and then let the 2nd teamers and reserves play a lot of the snd half and/or 4th quarter?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">1st, I don't think any coach wants to "keep the game close till the 4th quarter." There's no advantage to it. All coaches would rather take the lead and finish off the opponent as soon as possible. I think you're saying O'Leary was conservative, and, thus didn't take as many risks (to avoid mistakes) and let the other team make mistakes. But no coach really wants to keep the game close; that's absurd.

As for you thinking we'll take the lead early and let the 2nd teamers play, that's a little cocky.
All our games have the potential to be tough, and I doubt the 2nd teamers will be able to play that much outside of Vandy and UConn (and Duke of course
smile.gif

Back