Random Observations on a Painful Day

MariettaJacket

Varsity Lurker
1. Today convinced me again that the Almighty does not care about college football.

2. I am on the fence about Chan from a personal perspective, but you are kidding yourselves if you think he is gone after two years of going .500. It is not going to happen and you are wasting your time discussing it. It would be a sad day and a pathetic statement about Tech, and college football in general, if a change was made under the present circumstances.

3. Whatever you say about this game, it's been many a year since we won a game, with the quarterback who has taken every snap during the season knocked out at half and the starting Tailback not playing more than a handful of snaps. Who among us would have predicted a victory before the game if we had known that would be the case?????????????

3. The last two seasons and this game are no more predictive of the future than the last two basketball seasons are predictive of this basketball season. Not to say we will win next year in football as we wish we would, but let's not panic about the football team based on this season or this game. Remember Joe Hamilton's first two seasons, especially his first season and a half? Remember George's first two seasons?

4. Breaking down this game, David Greene was the difference. He is an exceptional college quarterback. He makes the Georgia offense go. Take him away and it is a mediocre/decent offense, but certainly not a BCS offense. We did ok on defense, given the turnovers, etc.

5. Our offense was ineffective. Even a UGAG grad could figure that out. But what did this game prove? That our coaches can't coach a QB and score points with a quarterback who hasn't played a snap this season. That we can't run the ball well with running backs who were second string to a walk on player who was 5th string before injuries, as hard a runner and as good a guy as he is?

Let's be real about he hand that was dealt us this year. All of this against an exceptionally good defense. Big surprise that we couldn't put the ball in the endzone like we wanted.

7. It was inexcusable to let UGAG block that punt. That blunder I can't tolerate. No excuse. We blocked one against BYU and never came close again this season. I don't understand that. If there is any legitimate criticism of this staff, it is the special teams, which only got worse through the season, even considering JS's two late season TDs.

8. I make no great predictions about our future. It pains me to watch the controversy over Chan and Braine. We are not a school that handles controversy well and our coaches, admin and players don't handle controversy well, either. It's not our style and we are unacostumed to it. We are not an SEC School. :-)

9. The next two years will tell the tale (as is happening with our BBall program). Next year, we will have a proven QB, far more speed and big play potential in the backfield, as good a receiver's corp, and the potential for as good a defense (which is just fine). We are headed toward a top 15 recruiting class if we don't mess it up. We are poised for a far better team and record than this year. It is not a pipe dream.

10. Chan needs to give some major attention to his PR with the Tech folks. It sounds so obvious that it is ridiculous, but it is something he has not done, or at least not done in an organized and thoughtful way.

11. Finally, a word about the UGAGs all over our stadium. It upset me too. But, I remember a day when it was worse and a day when it was not as bad. The fact is that UGAG is on an emotional high, undeserved and overated as they are, and their fans are on a roll. We are on the other side of the equation.

Also, practically speaking, we have many a corporate seat that can make their way to the opposition, we have lots of fans with UGAG spouses, relatives, etc, we are nice people who share their seats unlike the SEC moron mentality, we are in Atlanta, where it is easy to go the game and it is not a 6 hour expedition just to see if you can get a ticket (who among our fans would often take all day to go the Athens with the hope and prayer of getting a ticket), etc.

Remember this too. It always seems like their are more of them than there really are. Think back to the Braves-Cubs. It seemed like a 1/3 of the crowd were Cubbies but after they won there were barely 5k in the stands to salute the victors. It only takes 20 out of 200 in a section to make it seem like they are everywhere.

Our time will come, as painful as the wait is, Our Time Will Come---AGAIN.

12. I really do hate the SOBs. Pauland the guys, go up there and tear them up. We all need it and will appreciate it.

CG MUST upgrade talent and improve depth. I saw Richt substituting one good player after another. When one of ours makes a bonehead play, we have no one to replace him. CG can't take anyone out of the game and that just reinforces stupid plays.

Great post! It is harder than it should be to be a Tech fan. The truth is that 80% to 90% of the state is against us. The local news media has a natural lean against us. The venom and hate is unmistakeable. I was in the upper north with some of my friends and it felt like Custer's last stand up there. We were heckled and jeered the entire game in OUR HOME STADIUM! It finally came to fist to cuffs and melee broke out. It was about 12 realitively composed and civilized Tech fans against 10,000 rabid, drunk, and completely obnoxious UGA fans. Calmer heads prevailed before it turned into something really ugly.

Things will get better one day. Tech will be back. The indomitable spirit of Tech and her fans is what keeps her at the top. It just won't be easy. There are going to have to be some changes though or it will always be 12 against 10,000. And as much as I like playing as the underdog, those odds are even a bit too much for me. I don't know what the right answers are. I know that Tech fans can't agree on what the right questions are. Whatever the course, my flag is still flying this morning and that won't change. I suppose in the end its our expectations that should change. And so I have to submit, is that the question? Do we expect too much from this little research institute on North Ave.? The college sports landscape has changed dramatically in the last 10 years alone. It's as close to semi-pro sports as it could be these days with coaches making millions and kids looking for the best opportunity to play and be drafted rather than the best college for them to learn and mature into young adults. Are we being realistic about what Tech is and what Tech "should" be?

Anyway, sorry for the rambling rant but this morning has given way to reflection after a very bad day. What are your thoughts?

You are crazy...you said that Ugag is underseving and overated. They are 10-2, rated in the top 10, won the SEC last year and beat FSU, they are going to play again in the SEC Championship when they are having a rebuilding year, and most of all, they completely abused us on the field..again.

I don't like Ugag either, but you gotta give em the respect they deserve for continually abusing us. At least wait a few days before calling a team overrated that just beat us by 17! What does that say about us???

Golly, u really bring out some thoughful pts. Some are blah, but most are poignant.
Your most excellent pt was #10 about Coach Chan & his PR effort, or lack of, with GT fans. Next was #7 & continued downhill slide of our STs. I thought Coach Wilson was the answer, but STs were every bit as bad as last yr.
U are so right about #8 GT & Tech fans not handling controversy very well. This may be the worst split in the history of the Ga Tech family.

The hand we've been dealt was dealt by Chan Gailey!!!

Good post MJ. Have a few points wanted to make comments on: 3) However if you had told me that we would gain over 400 yards and that Suggs would come in and throw two touchdowns and have 175 yards of passing, I would have before the game told you that we would win. By the way the rythym and timing of Suggs vs Ball was quite different and I am in no way a Suggs fan. 5) Thought we beat them on the line of scrimmage and putting up over 400 yards was surprising to me. Certainly did not take advantage of it as they seemed to do. This year our problems seem to be when we get to the opposing teams 35-40 yard line. 9) Not sure that we will have a proven QB. Bell has got to take major strides in off season to accomplish this. Have concerns about how well he sees the field and what is going to happen. No shotgun? Gailey says that he just has not put it in yet. Huh? Does it take that long to put something like that in. We have had it every year since I can remember. Are we the only team that does not have it? Not sure we will have better talent next year and this is where you and I may be the most apart. I see our truly good players graduating this year and don't feel that recruiting is going that well. What we have recruited to date is certainly not highly thought of in the recruiting services. I no the drill of recruiting services don't know what they are talking about. But year in and year out I believe you are way more likely to have a good recruiting class by having the services confirm that. Really concerned with recruiting more than I am anything else. Hope I am wrong. Where do you get that we are heading for a top fifteen recruiting class- Rivals has us 60th and eighth in the conference?

Finally it was only three short years ago that we had a three game winning streak going and I was wondering if we could get up to five or six. I long for those days. Had not happened since the sixties. Hope we don't have to wait that long.

Excellent posts Marietta Jacket and Big buck...

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down like that.. excellent read..

I think Gailey needs to communicate that his goals are a little higher than they are.. its fine to say what we expect to do... but WHEN does he expect to do it??

Good post MJ. Question, why is it you think we will have a top 15 recruiting class? THWG

MariettaJacket, you made some good observations, many that I agree totally with. First and foremost
I agree that Chan shouldn't be canned this year and yes I just as you have my reservations about whether he will ultimately succeed or not.

I heard a famous coach say once that there was very little difference in coaches as it pertains to their understanding of the game of football.

He went on to say that football was a very simple game that really held no secrets and he emphasized
that what separated the winners from the others were the coaches that could relate to the kids the game plan in a way that was clear to them and also inspire the kids to carry out the plan with confidence and enthusiasm. He also went on to say that the mark of a good coach was the one that won the games that he was supposed to win.
He used George Welsh as an example. He said that George won at Navy although he was outmanned for the most part and then George went to Virginia and while he had better talent than he did at Navy
that it was not the top of the line.
He also said that George rarely lost to a teaqm that he should beat and used him as a yardstick to make his point.

That is the thing that bothers me with our present
group. We beat Auburn like a drum and manhandle FSU but then get blown out by Duke. Someone is not getting their message across somewhere.
I have been a big Tech supporter since 1945 and I've seen some great and not so great performances
in that time.
I listened with interest when a caller asked Chan if he was going to hire an OC after this season and he indicated that he didn't think so because he was happy with the offense. Well, we are 110th out of 117 nationally in scoring offense and Chan's answer pained me. He also answered another caller who inquired if he was going to sign a punter and again he said he would not and went on to say that he would try to get a walk on to come on board. We punted for a 19.3 average yesterday and again this causes one to scratch his head.

Another concern is that our team failed to improve as the season unfolded and neither did our young QB. This smells like coaching. I know we were thin but we have some very good talent as attested by the fact that we tied FSU with FIVE first team all ACC team. And that was without the two smith kids, Jonathan and Daryl who was second team. By the way I read that Daryl would be the first LB taken by the NFL.

What i'm saying though in a long convoluted sort of way is that Chan needs to look at himself and his staff before he embarks on another season. As Bear said on many occasions that a HC could not hide a weak assistant coach because his product would always show up on Saturday afternoon.

Good post MJ. Question, why is it you think we will have a top 15 recruiting class?

He must know of some silent commits that the rest of us don't know about.

Back