Ranking ACC/SEC Coaches

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Saw this on r/cfb, Collins ranked 26/28 only above the likes of Matt Luke and Willie Taggart:

https://www.postandcourier.com/colu...cle_87a14b04-650a-11e9-baba-5337e6c27191.html

The list: Ranking ACC and SEC coaches
1. Dabo Swinney, Clemson

2. Nick Saban, Alabama

3. Dan Mullen, Florida

4. Kirby Smart, Georgia

5. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M

6. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

7. Dave Clawson, Wake Forest

8. Dave Doeren, N.C. State

9. Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh

10. David Cutcliffe, Duke

11. Mark Stoops, Kentucky

12. Dino Babers, Syracuse

13. Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia

14. Will Muschamp, South Carolina

15. Barry Odom, Missouri

16. Ed Orgeron, LSU

17. Steve Addazio, Boston College

18. Joe Moorhead, Mississippi State

19. Scott Satterfield, Louisville

20. Manny Diaz, Miami

21. Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech

22. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt

23. Mack Brown, North Carolina

24. Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee

25. Chad Morris, Arkansas

26. Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech

27. Matt Luke, Ole Miss

28. Willie Taggart, Florida State
26. Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech
ACC rank: 13

ACC Coastal rank: 7

2018 rank: NA

He went 15-10 in two years at Temple. Following Paul Johnson’s triple-option era, he must reintroduce fans on The Flats to such concepts as back-to-back passes and tight ends.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I hate these dumb things.

Just weighted-average their win total on the size of their fan base and call it a day

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
His rating is where it is because he doesn't have any p5 head coaching experience. Recruiting is a critical part of being a college coach, and based on that alone he is far better than where they list him.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
His rating is where it is because he doesn't have any p5 head coaching experience. Recruiting is a critical part of being a college coach, and based on that alone he is far better than where they list him.
What about Manny Diaz? He has zero head coaching experience, period. He's ahead of a few decent names there. That list is horseshit.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
What about Manny Diaz? He has zero head coaching experience, period. He's ahead of a few decent names there. That list is horseshit.
Yeah, true. I'd say it's a hybrid of coaching success, coaching experience, name recognition of the coach, name recognition of the school, and size of the fan base. Given that FSU falls favorably on most of these, it's a pretty big indictment on Taggart as a coach.

FullMetalBuzz

Posting from your mom’s house
Some of these make no sense.

Kirby ranked above Jimbo? Jimbo rebuilt FSU and won a natty while Kirby came into a stacked program and has continued their perennial underachieving.

Mack Brown at 23? Not much respect for another coach with a title.

Collins makes sense - with no Power 5 experience and no lower division titles like Satterfield he needs to earn his way up the charts.

BuckNasty

Damn Good Rat
Kirby is not that great of a coach. Last year they had a bunch of dumb play calls and lost to every above average team they played.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Kirby is not that great of a coach. Last year they had a bunch of dumb play calls and lost to every above average team they played.
I was thinking that as well, but I didn't want to jinx it by saying it.

donsue

Flats Noob
Yeah, true. I'd say it's a hybrid of coaching success, coaching experience, name recognition of the coach, name recognition of the school, and size of the fan base. Given that FSU falls favorably on most of these, it's a pretty big indictment on Taggart as a coach.
That is a fact. That was as big of a panic hire as has been in a long time...and they threw 5.2 million a year for 6 years at him

18in32

Petard Hoister
Kirby came into a stacked program and has continued their perennial underachieving
Huh? I have confidence that UGA will slide back into late-Richt-era underachieving, but the past 2 years have been pretty good for UGA. Unfortunately. Whatever it is, it hasn't been a continuation of the later-Richt era at all.

BuckNasty

Damn Good Rat
Huh? I have confidence that UGA will slide back into late-Richt-era underachieving, but the past 2 years have been pretty good for UGA. Unfortunately. Whatever it is, it hasn't been a continuation of the later-Richt era at all.
I guess it depends where you draw the line but they were 1 play from an NC game appearance in 2012.

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
List is garbage. Malzahn and Doering in top 10. Really? And what’s the justification for Diaz not being in bottom 3? Total crap.

MACHETE

Dodd-Like
CGC should be off the list as "too new to rate". That's what most HR departments of big corporates would do for new hires during 1st eval cycle.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Clawson and Doeren ahead of Cutcliffe? WTF?
Based on recent results, I don't think that's a stretch. NC State has been pretty solid top-but-not-Clemson team in the Atlantic, and Wake Forest smashed Duke last year (and had a similar record). Despite having our number, Duke has been pretty mediocre the last couple of years.

Granted, Cutcliffe did produce a top 10 draft pick.

Last edited:

johncu

Dodd-Like
Based on recent results, I don't think that's a stretch. NC State has been pretty solid top-but-not-Clemson team in the Atlantic, and Wake Forest smashed Duke last year (and had a similar record). Despite having our number, Duke has been pretty mediocre the last couple of years.

Granted, Cutcliffe did produce a top 10 draft pick.
Duke is decidedly mediocre, and has been throughout Cutcliffe's tenure. That's the whole point - Duke was arguably the worst FBS football program not too long ago. Cutcliffe's run has been very similar to Doeren's, only Doeren has MUCH more of a structural advantage. And Cutcliffe actually made an ACCCG. I don't see an argument for Clawson at all. In 5 years, he has yet to have a winning conference record. Cutcliffe won 10 games and a division title at one point.