Re: Academic Casualties from summer

rpwreck

Varsity Lurker
From a pretty unimpeachable source, only one player is in danger of becoming ineligible after summer school, and he is likely to make it. On the other hand, had the recent changes not been made, we would have likely lost around 10 more and be pretty much "out of business."

that is GREAT news across the board.

a. that we did not lose any
b. that changes are in place THAT ARE WORKING

NOW I WONDER HOW MANY WOULD STILL BE IN SCHOOL IF THE CHANGES WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE EARLIER

rpwreck. I hope your right. I haven't heard anything. Just alot of "I don't know anything about it right now". Time will tell

"NOW I WONDER HOW MANY WOULD STILL BE IN SCHOOL IF THE CHANGES WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE EARLIER."

From what I'v e been led to believe from this source, which is pretty close to the horse's mouth, almost all -- if not all -- of the spring casualties would be back this fall had the changes been made earlier. And this would have nothing to do with any playing fast and loose with the rules. It would've just been a matter of common sense and compassion.

that is PATHETIC!

People should be FIRED. We took responsiblity for those young men.

Do they know what FAILING out of school has done to these kids?

When they were being recruited no one was telling them they would fail out. All that was being said was WE HAVE A SUPPORT system in place. What a joke.

1 or 2 I can understand, but that many is unbelievable.

Originally posted by law_bee:
that is PATHETIC!

People should be FIRED. We took responsiblity for those young men.

Do they know what FAILING out of school has done to these kids?

When they were being recruited no one was telling them they would fail out. All that was being said was WE HAVE A SUPPORT system in place. What a joke.

1 or 2 I can understand, but that many is unbelievable.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not all the problems are fixed though. There are still some attitudes left in the GTAA that feel they shouldn't even bother to lift a finger to help those kids that did flunk out. They think their responsibility to these kids ended as soon as the ink hit the gradebook.

LawBee, thank you for expressing my sentiments. Not only damage to the kids, their families, but the reputation of Georgia Tech (in thier respective areas) as well. One could easily shed tears for the kids.

Rotten feeling as you think about it.

You know what, if a kid was doing his work and needed help he didn't get I agree 100% lawbee. But if a kid just didn't go to class or turn in his work then I'm not so sure I'm too worried about him. We have a responsibility to provide all the support and help they need to make it. But is has been mentioned that at least some failed out because they couldn't be bothered to show up at an AFROTC course. If that's true, it's all on them as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also a little worried about what you mean by "compassion" helping them avoid flunking out. Just what does that mean?

NCJacket, I don't know, but if I was a teacher, and I knew any of my students were busting their tails trying to learn the subject and was a tad short, I would think of some extra work or some way to help that kid.

If the kid did not show up for his classes, I would not help him at all.

Maybe that is what they mean by compassion. To me, the objective of a teacher is to help a student learn, not try to pass or fail him. I would have compassion on someone really trying and would bend over backwards to help him learn the subject material.

Father Time

ahsoisee, I have absolutely no problem with that scenario. But I don't know why our academic counseling program would have any effect on that kind of compassion from profs. I thought they were supposed to stay away from the classrooms or any influence on grades. Maybe you're saying that if the kids got the right support the teachers would look at them that way?

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
NCJacket, I don't know, but if I was a teacher, and I knew any of my students were busting their tails trying to learn the subject and was a tad short, I would think of some extra work or some way to help that kid.

If the kid did not show up for his classes, I would not help him at all.

Maybe that is what they mean by compassion. To me, the objective of a teacher is to help a student learn, not try to pass or fail him. I would have compassion on someone really trying and would bend over backwards to help him learn the subject material.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahsoisee, that's a dicey proposition. As an educator, I also have kids that do the best they can but still fall short of passing by a point or two. You are limited by the course syllabus which outlines the grading criteria, etc. This is, in effect, a written contract for the students as to what is expected of them in the course. As much as you would like to do so, you generally can't give them "extra work" unless there's a provision for such or maybe department policy.

This grades fiasco ultimately is the fault of Ms. Moore, who let down the very students she was assigned to help.

DownEast, I know what you are saying and it is good to stay within the rules. Rules are not made to be broken, however, I would exercise personal compassion and judgement if merited and would accept the consequencies if it became a problem.

If I was convinced the student gave it all he had and fell short by a point or two, I feel sure I would try to help the student make the grade, regardless of whether he was an SA or a regular student.

I do not like to use personal experiences, but I will at this time. I had little difficulty reading something and retaining it long enough to pass tests. I just did not have to study to make good grades.

My son came along and would try as hard as he could to study and make good grades, but he could not. It became evident later in high school, he had a visual problem with reading.

He could hear something orally and not forget it, but he had great difficulty with learning from reading. He really tried hard, but it was extremely difficult for him.

Over the years, he has learned to cope with the problem and make allowances for it, but it was hard in school.

Is it fair that a student who tries extremely hard and comes within a point or two of passing a course be discarded, when another student does not have to try and makes a passing grade?

For those reasons, I would be willing to help a student that I know in my heart is really trying. I would not consider it breaking a rule, but being compassionate to help a fellow human when it is merited.

If a rule is to help a person fine, if it tends to inadvertantly harm others, it appears to me it is up to the one who uses the rules to make allowances for any disadvantages it may bring to some.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to help those across the board when they are a point or two short, only those that are giving it their all.

By the way, I was mostly referring to the students for this quarter. I had heard some of the SAs from the last quarter were cutting classes. I would not help any student cutting classes or was not trying.

Father Time

Originally posted by ncjacket:
You know what, if a kid was doing his work and needed help he didn't get I agree 100% lawbee. But if a kid just didn't go to class or turn in his work then I'm not so sure I'm too worried about him. We have a responsibility to provide all the support and help they need to make it. But is has been mentioned that at least some failed out because they couldn't be bothered to show up at an AFROTC course. If that's true, it's all on them as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also a little worried about what you mean by "compassion" helping them avoid flunking out. Just what does that mean?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with you completely. And since I don't really know the real story - I'm not casting aspersions on either the SAs or the academic support people. As far as I'm concerned we had a problem and hopefully we got it fixed. If we fell short on what we promised the SAs, I hope we somehow make that right.

Originally posted by rpwreck:
From a pretty unimpeachable source, only one player is in danger of becoming ineligible after summer school, and he is likely to make it. On the other hand, had the recent changes not been made, we would have likely lost around 10 more and be pretty much "out of business."
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I've just heard the same thing from a very good source.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

Is it fair that a student who tries extremely hard and comes within a point or two of passing a course be discarded, when another student does not have to try and makes a passing grade?

If a rule is to help a person fine, if it tends to inadvertantly harm others, it appears to me it is up to the one who uses the rules to make allowances for any disadvantages it may bring to some.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why Ahso, you old liberal, relativist, situational ethicist dickens,you!

I absolutely agree.

Originally posted by rpwreck:

From what I've been led to believe from this source, which is pretty close to the horse's mouth, almost all -- if not all -- of the spring casualties would be back this fall had the changes been made earlier. And this would have nothing to do with any playing fast and loose with the rules. It would've just been a matter of common sense and compassion.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
Common sense and compassion....hmmmmm
pat.gif

So bdg, any comments? Did you miss the discussion above about what that might mean? Why is it you never discuss anything intelligently, just take things out of context and make snide editorial comments? How about your definition of common sense and compassion? Anything???

Back