Real issue: GT finished 6th in the ACC

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Totally unacceptable & lower eschelon of the conference. By record we actually tied for 5th, but lost to the team we tied with, Clemson. We also lost to the 7th place team, WF. Wake beat the dregs, NCar & Duke, & beat Tech. Everybody else handled the Deacons.
We've gone from tying for the ACC in '98 to finishing 2nd in '99 all the way to 6th in '02. If recruits see we can't compete in the ACC, how will we ever compete with Ga, Aub, ND & Bowl teams, all of whom is on our near future schedule?
Is Gailey & staff capable of winning the ACC? Is this the staff to outcoach the staffs @ FSU, Maryland, Georgia, Auburn? Can U see this staff doing that?

You are correct to focus on the ACC picture. As bad as we were yesterday, it was not a conference game. And looking at the conference, we are having to fight for our lives to stay in the middle. That does not bode well for the future of the program. Maryland, UVA and Wake have all upgraded their coaching staffs and passed us. Chan better hit the trail hard or we are going to become Duke.

I would rather go 1-10 with a win over UGA, than go 8-0 in the conference and lose to UGA. Your conference concerns are true and important, but I don't run into alot of Tobacco Road Alumni in Church with smirks about how somebody's team looked like the School for the Deaf and Dumb yesterday.
BOO

Beating Ga won't get Tech to a BCS Bowl, winning the conference will. The Gator Bowl is starting to look good to me now, but even that is unattainable without ACC Ws.
Yeah, I got the phone calls last night & today & it hurts. But when they start pointing out that we don't even compete in the ACC, that's when u realize the program, as a whole, has slipped a long ways.
The defining point is your conference. Look at how people still perceive Virginia as a rising star even though they lost the game that means the most to them. Or gander @ Wash St who lost their 2 biggest games, Ohio St & state rival Washington. If they make the Rose Bowl they'll have a healing salve & will still be perceived as the best team west of the Big12.

It was not long ago that we were behind FSU only and played them very close. We are dropping and dropping fast. According to those who are supposed to know, we have fallen way behind most other schools in our conference in recruiting also. If that is true, buckle your seat belts!! Gravity sucks.

WE were also one of only 2 teams to defeat Virginia in the conference(us & FSU) and one of 3 to beat N. C. State(us, Maryland, Virginia).

Back