Reasons for the problems

Oh, GW, I'm not trying to cast doubt on what you're saying or anything. I just wanted some clarification around your statement about the 40/60/80 rule, since it contradicted what I've heard from other sources.

Thanks again for sharing your information.

We both could be correct, but I think for the benefit of Ga. Tech, Clough should have had a press release when it occured, not once everyone realizes we are screwed.

The ramifications are staggering when you think that every FB SA will have to be a full time student year around. The $$$ alone is reason to fight the legislation. Clough is a great politician. He could have persuaded a great number of people if that was his true intent.
I will contact my sources from the meeting and try to find out what really went down.

No one from the AA has even mentioned it. Who is on the ball over there?

Isn't Moore the lady who used to be Dean of Students or something like that. I could be mistaken but I believe she is the infamous Dean D***. If that is the case then this woman truly hates life in general and especially males. Had a few meetings with her in college and she didn't leave a favorable impression.

GTPilot, you are right, Moore is the same man-hating-one you are talking about. I had dealings with her as well back in the day. She was kicked off the Hill, and landed in the AA. As much as she disliked males, she seemed to really have it in for the whole "Student Athlete" concept.

Who she has pictures on is the real question.

1. DB-clueless on how Tech works and the support and type of support needed for SA's
2. Director of Academics-she would love for the SA's to be regular students. You go meet her and tell me if she relates well to todays SA's. She and GOL were constantly @ each others throat. Ask anyone in the building.
3. The Hill has changed the way the system works. There is no rounding of GPA's (the truncating formula was changed). A half a point makes a big difference for alot of SA's. Other minor academic issues.
4. CG-Football had no specific academic advisor for fall semester. The chickens were running the hen house. CG was/is a newbie and finding out the hard way. Football had three advisors under GOL and none in the Fall.
5. the players-the young players did not have anyone breathing down their necks, and therefore, had no idea what MaTech was all about. Nor did they have an advocate to check their progress.

One of these things can be overcome, but all together, you have the potential for disaster. The 40/60/80 that Clough has implemented will make it even tougher going forward.

Originally posted by General Wood:
1. DB-clueless on how Tech works and the support and type of support needed for SA's
2. Director of Academics-she would love for the SA's to be regular students. You go meet her and tell me if she relates well to todays SA's. She and GOL were constantly @ each others throat. Ask anyone in the building.
3. The Hill has changed the way the system works. There is no rounding of GPA's (the truncating formula was changed). A half a point makes a big difference for alot of SA's. Other minor academic issues.
4. CG-Football had no specific academic advisor for fall semester. The chickens were running the hen house. CG was/is a newbie and finding out the hard way. Football had three advisors under GOL and none in the Fall.
5. the players-the young players did not have anyone breathing down their necks, and therefore, had no idea what MaTech was all about. Nor did they have an advocate to check their progress.

One of these things can be overcome, but all together, you have the potential for disaster. The 40/60/80 that Clough has implemented will make it even tougher going forward.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Originally posted by General Wood:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GW: Thanks for the insight here ... no checks and balances on an ongoing basis - recipe for disaster! Oh my!!

Let’s see now if I can put all this together.

We have a narrow and academically challenging curriculum supported by: 1) fellow Tech grads that were abused by the system and have rationalized this as just another learning tool to make future Tech grads tougher/better, and 2) a Board of regents and state legislature who have far more sympathy to UGA and are more than willing to restrict any effort to broaden Tech’s curriculum.

The challenge this presents Georgia Tech has been compounded by higher graduation/progression requirements imposed by the NCAA (with Dr. Clough and Dave Braine sleeping late the morning of the NCAA vote) and a turnover in the GTAA academic support staff who seem to be unaware that their mission is to see that SAs get all available means of assistance to ensure they can complete Tech’s academic requirements successfully. Their failure to complete this mission was compounded with staff vacancies being allowed to go unfilled on the football side for over a year; as yet unnoticed by the new guy Chan Gailey.

While these events are unfolding, for a variety of reasons Tech fans and administration have been aggressively pursuing expansion of BDS and elevated levels of sports competition to fill the new seats. For specifics see the 2003 schedule and our efforts to bring Miami into the ACC, even if we walk with FSU (for god’s sake) and Clemson to join a new conference with some “real players”.

As events seem to be unfolding, these disparate objectives seem to be on a collision course with no sanity driving the bus. As Yogi Berra once said, “When you come to the fork in the road, take it”.

It’s going to be interesting watching these events unfold, if you are a UGA fan. For Tech fans, riding in the back of the bus, the terror has just begun.

I am not familiar with the "40/60/80". Does this have to with the numbers of hours accumulated?

Yes, a SA must have 40% of their degree complete after 2 years, 60% after three, 80% after four. If the average TECH student takes five years, It makes it very tough (understatement) to meet the numbers for a SA.

Back