Recruiting against Duke?

ParkinJacket

Varsity Lurker
There have been a few poster here lately that don't like the fact that we're battling teams like Duke for players. For some reason, these players' athletic ability and football aptitude are diminished when Duke is recruiting them.

Well, apparently somebody agrees: Tom Lemming of ESPN. I mean, come on - they only have gotten verbals from 3 of the top 14 HS QBs of this year's recruiting class.

Look at the insiders.

Duke has 3 QB commitments. One is very highly touted but he might end up playing basketball. Of the other 2, one appears to be offered only by Duke. The other QB is from Maryland but wasn't offered by Friedgen. Roof is clearly making a lot of early offers in the hopes of getting some recruits under the radar. A good strategy for a football coach at a school that is overshadowed by its basketball program. However, don't confuse that with it being a great class.

Re: Look at the insiders.

I don't understand your point 3518. The three Duke has commits from are already rated in the top 15 by Lemming. That doesn't mean they will end up there but to question them doesn't really make sense to me. Also they all rate higher than the kid Cox who they originally had a commit from who backed out and picked ugag. Sounds like they're doing well at QB at least.

Well, the thing is, the profile of a S-A for Duke much more closely fits the profile of a S-A for Tech than does the football factories, and I mean that in an academic point of view, NOT an athletic point of view. There are many high profile prospects that have no chance at Tech or Duke that are heavily recruited by Miami, UGA, etc. The academicly high achieving athlete will naturally be more inclined for Tech and Duke than the less astute athelete would be.

It's not necessarily a fact that athletes we are competing with Duke for are not top prospects, but rather a function of their academics being strong.

Where's the dead horse Instant Graemlin?

You guys have to understand

Duke cannot outrecruit anyone at this point. They have zero to offer. So they throw scholarships at everyone and anyone they can with the hopes of getting some in roads.

Now then... let Maryland or Penn State or someone offer these same recruits and Duke will lose 90% of these "comitted" players.

Roof has a sound strategy... it may or may not hold up.

I hope I'm wrong, but:
Let's not discount Duke and Wake Forrest either very much. I have stated here before and again that these two schools may be the very ones to knock the biggies out of winning the conference championship. Duke is like playing someone in checkers. You may beat them game after game, but once they get one man up on you, they play like the world champions. Duke is a coming on team with a good coach. Let's respect them just as we would a Rattlesnake.

NCJacket, my point is...

You can't say Duke is having a great recruiting year based on one position by one recruiting analyst with a mixed track record. A lot of people on this board want to romanticize recruiting. 5 star recruits who don't pan out are remembered along with 2 star recruits who make it big time. Also, players who were highly recruited get remembered as being lightly recruited. All I want for Tech to do is go back to the standard with O'Leary where graduation rates were increasing from 39 to 57 percent. The 39 percent was always deceptively low. It was the result of the B*** L**** debacle. It's ridiculous that we have players in the last 2 years who've made Academic All-ACC who wouldn't be recruited now.

Re: NCJacket, my point is...

I agree with you 3518, I simply didn't get what you were saying about their QBs. I don't think you can really question that they're doing well at that position. And I do agree with how some people make way too much of the services, but you can't ignore them totally either. And no matter how well they recruit at one position that doesn't make a good class.

3518, my point is

that not one person said that Duke was having a great recruiting class. Yet you say this twice. Duke is recruiting better athletes than they have in the past. These 2 "top 15" qbs are probably 3 stars. We all know that some 5 stars dont pan out and that some 2 stars become great. All the original post was saying is that we should respect the fact that Duke has offered a recruit more now than we should have 4 years ago.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekhair.gif <-- A Dukie after we torch them this year

I wouldn\'t worry about offering a kid who

was offered by Duke if said kid was also offered by FSU, Miami, UGA, UF, etc...

But if the kid's ONLY offers were from Duke, Vandy, UConn, Rutgers, etc. then I would be skeptical. If you have a bunch of kids like the above, then you need to worry about your future competitiveness.

Any committments we have at this point

are high Div 1 prospects. We have only offered a few players. These are our top targets. We are not taking second tier players in July.

AT THIS TIME, who else has offered them is not very relevant. Most of the big name southern schools have not offered that many scholarships, and the ones they have offered are mostly going to the same 100 or so kids.

We have some offers out to kids in that group also. Not that many of those kids make early decisions, so we probably won't know how we did with them until after the season is over.

If you do a search at rivals, you will see we have landed several of our very limited existing offers. This says a lot about Chan's philosophy, a lot about how we are doing so far, and a lot about what we think of the players we have committments from.

Re: Any committments we have at this point

I agree with your basic statement that measuring offers, etc. at this time means absolutely nothing. There is no question that the Miami's or other top programs are picking and choosing from an elite group of players. If a Duke or whoever gets a verbal early it just might be a super player that is below the big guys early radar. If a Lemming has them in their top 15 then they are top 15 and God Bless that team. We can't sit here and attack a program for exactly what we defend against with Georgia baters.

Regarding Maryland and the quarterback, there could be all kinds of reasons OTHER than quality. They include that this type of QB might not fit the Terps program OR that the Terps knew that Duke was his choice and didn't want to look bad offering. It's all a game.

Duke may historically not play very good football but these are nothing but cheap shots at this time.

Back