Recruiting - Good or Bad?

Goldenbird

Varsity Lurker
Q: Considering ALL that our program has been through the last 6 weeks, was recruiting great, ok, below par, or a disaster? How much different / better would it have been if OL had never left?

My $.02: It was OK in light of all that's happened. But it IS relative; I think it would have been sig. better if OL had never left, just based on the early commits.
Kudos to CG and staff for holding on to 7 of 8 original commits -- I think we landed at least 1 quality DL, 2 quality DB's, a top TE, atleast 2 solid WR's, and a very good FB.

I give us a solid B. What people have to understand is that OUR class is academically qualified.

That is huge. Other schools, specifically top 10, will lose 2-8 recruits to non-qualification.

I look at other sites bashing GT, but this is fluf. I think we did better than people want to admit.

Why is it that Stanford, Notre Dame, and Florida all changed coaches after we did.... yet their recruiting actually picked up and all 3 had good recruiting classes.... and ours nearly completely died after Chan came on board? We had the promise of a small but outstanding recruiting class but recruit after recruit went elsewhere and many wrote us off almost immediately after an in-home visit by Chan. We throw away great recruiters like Mac, Roof, Thompson, Collins, and Kelly and get someone that apparently can't recruit a lick.
I think the recruits we got are great but the ones that we let get away is just ridiculous. Everyone is saying oh just wait until next year ...we will have a great class.... what evidence do we have that Chan has any understanding whatsoever of how to recruit? I just don't see it.
Just my opinion...you don't have to agree.
confused.gif

beeware, I agree with most you say. I still don't think CG is really "into" this college thing yet. A sense of URGENCY with regard to staff and recruiting seem to be nonexistent. We still have one last hope - that he will be an outstanding coach on and off the field which will attract some excellent talent in yrs. to come, on staff as well as team!

I still cannot believe we let Jones, Doucette, etc. slip by.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

beeware, if you really think rankings are worth a damn, just look at Texas. They must have the top recruiting class for at least five years running. And what do they have to show for it? Nada, nothing, squat. They have got great facilities, lots of fans, but no Big 12 championships, no BCS games, no national championships. Look at Kelly Campbell, no one wanted him out of high school. And what about Godsey?

If we keep winning, we'll get our share of recruits. Of course, we have to expect that Gailey and staff can coach these players up. Some folks on the Hive were talking about Adams, who goes to school in Atlanta. Honestly, coming out of high school, I wanted to go to school in a completely different state. I wanted to get away from my parents and just try to start something new. Of course, I'm not quite sure why Adams picked West Virginia, but lets remember he is 18 years old. I don't think anyone on the staff really dropped the ball. We don't really know if we wanted to go to school in Atlanta.

ahso, you bring up something posted on the Hive a few days ago that I had forgotten about. The asst. coach was not named but when I asked if it could have been one that had played at UGA, and they said "No, definitely not". Then, someone after me said they thought it was DK and someone else agreed. I have never heard of such in all my yrs! Have you? Why so bitter toward GT? Hasn't he been hired by Stanford?
bash.gif
bash.gif

We won't know about this class for 2 or 3 years. We won't really know about gailey, either. But we do know, from GOL, that football players will come to Tech. And we know that CG is highly regarded by football people, that he is loyal and conscientious, and that he is an humble, decent man who is the right sort of person for Tech. I believe he will make an excellent coach of our boys, who are special because they can, and they want to, come to Tech.

And I know for sure that next fall I will be excited and thrilled, just as I have been every year, when the Gold and White comes on the field.

All this may be whistling in the wind, but I'm a fan, and I'm not going to be negative about my team or my coach for a whole off-season.

We were told how great it was to get and NFL head coach. How all the recruits would love it and watch him coach the Miami Dolphins and they would love to come play for him. It appears just the opposite. It appears he has no understanding whatsoever how important recruiting is... how important it is for a recruit to know who his position coach is going to be ...etc. We lost most of these GT leans AFTER Gailey went to visit them. I am afraid that says a lot.

Originally posted by beeware:
We were told how great it was to get and NFL head coach. How all the recruits would love it and watch him coach the Miami Dolphins and they would love to come play for him. It appears just the opposite. It appears he has no understanding whatsoever how important recruiting is... how important it is for a recruit to know who his position coach is going to be ...etc. We lost most of these GT leans AFTER Gailey went to visit them. I am afraid that says a lot.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">it is really too early to tell what kind of a recruiter Gailey is. We will know next year after he has a full year and a full staff recruiting.

If CG coaches us to a 10 win season that will solve a lot of our problems.

Now if we win 8 games and lose to Ugag then it is going to be a rough year. And I dont even want to think about the possibility of winning less than 8 games.

Originally posted by beeware:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">dude, you just need to relax a bit. Things aren't as bad as they seem. We have no clue whats going on these visits or much about these players. Most of the time, we just look at film and talk to their coaches. Its a gamble when so much depends on 17 and 18 year old kids. It looks like Zeb Hargue has posted over on the Hive. Go read it. Here is a guy who played against Jones in high school. If that post is the truth, it might be that Gailey really didn't want to pursue Jones and thats why he will be playing in West Virginia. Zeb didn't have to post that message. He could have completely ignored the whole subject. But he wanted to help us out a bit with some good info. Zeb is the type players I want to see on the flats.

law_bee
If the fired up and competent coaching staff that we had in the Seattle Bowl (that defeated the #9 BCS Stanford Cardinal by 10 points) was around for next year, I would be confident of a minimum 10 win season. But with this nearly complete coaching upheaval, and all the bio problems and less than expected recruiting class and the delays of getting a coaching staff, I see serious problems ahead. Do you remember switching from Ross to Lewis? Instead of promoting O'leary or Friedgen, we went outside (grass is always greener approach) and brought in Bill Lewis and lost the coaches and the momentum that Ross had built up. And also had a near mutiny by the players, who didn't like playing for a coaching staff that didn't recruit them. I am afraid the current situation is similar. Instead of building on what O'leary had established, we had to go outside and start over. Don't underestimate that our current players were not recruited by Gailey and they may not like him any better than all the recruits that we missed on after he came on board, and after he visited many of them in home.
I am a lifelong TECH fan but I think what has happened to our program the last couple of months is going to linger for years. Maybe the talent that O'leary left behind will overcome these obstacles. Let us hope.

beeware, maybe the ones we lost after in-home visits were lost because that person/persons were coming just cause of GO, or DK, or Mac. And if that is the only reason, well, that is not a slap against CG. We have a lot of work to do before next recruiting yr. so hopefully things will calm down and we will be a lot happier then.

Things just have been too topsy-turvy on the flats lately!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

ahso, I know you weren't singling any individual out. You are too classy for that. I am serious. You represent GT well and what GT is all about. Whoever mentioned that on the Hive did seem to know what is going on with former coach/coaches, and I was just asking if you had ever heard of that happening before with any former coach be it GT, or anywhere.
confused.gif

For those of you that are worried...this is a great time to just settle down. We've just signed 13 quality kids that will get into school and hopefully contribute. So, we have reason to be excited.

First of all, we have no idea what went on between CG and any of the "COMMITS" that left us.

But here is what we do know. CG has only been on the job full-time for about a month. He still doesn't have a full staff and he's had to deal with Bio-Hazard '02. Keep in mind these are 17 and 18 year olds...they can't even decide what shirt to wear on a particular day, let alone where to attend college.

So, did we really expect a "jam-up" outstanding recruiting class? Hell no.

CG has a long history of coaching success as an assistant and as a head coach. He's done well EVERYWHERE he's ever been...college or pro. This man knows how to coach football.

Look at the Dallas Cowboys record the year before he got there...something like 6-10 or 5-11. Then, he gets there and they go 10-6 and 8-8 and get to the playoffs both years. He leaves in 2000 and they go right back down the tubes. That's just one example. His resume is too long to list every accomplishment in this post.

CG has outstanding character. And he has an outstanding track record in coaching. I think we're in good hands.

So, I understand that people are concerned, since he's new to us and we had some negative surprises the last few days...but I think we'll be OK.

The most important thing is "What do we do once we get 'em? How do we develop these kids?" I think he'll do well in that regard.

What program could endure:
1) Losing their head coach ..2) Then having that coach become part of a scandal.. 3)Only retaining 3 assistants from the previous staff ..4)Ooops ... then losing one a couple of weeks later
5)Only having their new head coach full time for the last 3 weeks of rec. season..6)Then have their top remaining assistant flirt openly with an NFL job for a week ...7)Then survive another scandal and have a new assistant forced to resign,
.... and be expected to have anything more than a mediocre rec. class? You can "blame" CG for a couple of these, but I really don't think we can make any real evaluation of his recruiting abilities yet.

yea, I am ready for Spring Ball now. I am excited at the thought of watching that QB battle between Suggs, Bilbo, and Hall.

My thoughts... I could probably agree with every person who has posted on this thread... and admit, the past couple of months have been turbulent ... but when I look at the bigger picture, I have to say that I feel better than otherwise... as I have stated before, I appreciate what GOL did for us, but, feel that we/he had peaked... our coaching staff was never really stable under O'Leary, just look at who has come and gone... I feel that our staff really began falling apart when Friedgen left, not that he is a God or anything, but, GOL lost his balance when Friedgen left... I believe the current players will welcome CG, as I do not believe they played for GOL... GOL talked alot last year about chemistry, I believe you have chemistry in your troops when there is chemistry in the leadership... there was no chemistry in our coaching staff this year, hence no chemistry on the team... we lost games this past year due to coaching, GOL admitted this... the past two months have been rough, but sometimes its good to face adversity, it makes you work harder, focus more intently, change the ways you are doing things... I cant speak for you all, but I admit that these changes have me anxious, its the uncertainty as opposed to the known of the past... but, I think given the circumstances of the past two months, we did a good job with recruiting today, we all wish the media etc. were oooing and aaahhing over our recruits, they arent, its too much fun for most to poke fun at Tech right now... but I think we got some solid kids today, and I know that we have a cupboard full of talent... I have heard everyone involved with football talk about how lucky Tech was to get Gailey... (I bet you Florida wishes they had him... and after next November, I will bet Georgia wished they had him too) .. I believe he is putting together a staff that will be considered by most to be excellent.. I do not think we will be highly regarded next year... but we werent highly regarded in 1990 either... I bet we will surprise alot of people next year, and the story will be how Gailey and the team came thru all of this to do what they have done...there is alot to look forward to... we are going to be fine... (and yes, gold glasses are firmly in place !!) PS.. lawbee, dont forget Landry in that QB battle...

This is my take. Yes, the class is small, but what did we really expect? 1) Lost our HC to N.D. 2) scandal made us look bad 3) most of our coaches were said to be leaving as well. 4) Some coaches left some didn’t which would look as if we had a split set of coaches. 5) One of our most loyal coaches and Tech grad leaves us for a 1-10 school, how does that look? 6) Our OC is rumored to be leaving to NFL. 7) Smith mess 8) Robinson mess 9) gailey didn't have anything to do with any of these kids, he kind of took up where ol's staff left off, and most of the personnel responsible for recruiting the kids to tech aren't even here anymore. 10) We were only 8-5 last year and lost to our in-state rival. All in all, we did get some needs, I think that we are all disappointed, but this class still may not be over, I think we might could get 1 or 2 Bama players (massive hoping) or maybe some juco's. Anything would be nice, but if we don't, Hey, lets strap em up and get on with it!

we probably get a C, overall the factories and the bagman took us to the cleaners. we can live with this if it is only for this recruiting season. another one like this and we will be in deep do do.

I want to echo Law's sentiments. The academics is key, because we're gonna get our guys in. The other schools in this area (ACC and SEC) will probably have a few of their top signees fall out from low test scores and grades. Just an opinion based on recent history.

I think we got some good athletes. This class doesn't have huge numbers, but we knew that from the beginning as we didn't have alot of schollys to give.

I grade us as a B minus.
drinking.gif

Back