Recruiting Problems

Don Ellington

Varsity Lurker
Watching the bowl game it was clear that we were physically overmatched on both the offensive and defensive lines.
It gets back to recruiting. I’ve heard for several years our inability to recruit 4 and 5 star linemen is due to two main problems- top linemen don’t want to play for GT because it does not prepare them for the NFL and the academic demands of GT.
For those that really are informed - are these issues really valid? Can Geoff Collins really recruit better than we have?

CPJ didn't target your typical lineman, I have heard, preferring people who can get to the second level fast rather than pass block. Not sure if that's malarkey or not.

Watching the bowl game it was clear that we were physically overmatched on both the offensive and defensive lines.
It gets back to recruiting. I’ve heard for several years our inability to recruit 4 and 5 star linemen is due to two main problems- top linemen don’t want to play for GT because it does not prepare them for the NFL and the academic demands of GT.
For those that really are informed - are these issues really valid? Can Geoff Collins really recruit better than we have?
Answer: Daryl Richard, Michael Johnson, Jerry Attaochu, Derrick Morgan, Adam Gotsis, Shaq Mason. Yes, we CAN recruit NFL caliber talent on the lines, but we will have to put some money into recruiting nationally and additional staff to evaluate and contact prospective talent.

CPJ didn't target your typical lineman, I have heard, preferring people who can get to the second level fast rather than pass block. Not sure if that's malarkey or not.
Exactly. Quick first step, big, strong is where the OL is headed.

We can recruit better lineman but we've never, ever have recruited a 5-star.

Yes, even CJ was not a 5 star.

Yes, we CAN recruit NFL caliber talent on the lines, but we will have to put some money into recruiting nationally and additional staff to evaluate and contact prospective talent.

I asked this in another thread—has TStan promised/committed more resources to recruiting? IIRC, GT had the smallest budget for recruiting in the ACC.

I asked this in another thread—has TStan promised/committed more resources to recruiting? IIRC, GT had the smallest budget for recruiting in the ACC.
Rumor is yes. If Collins don't get the alumni and donors jazzed up, what will?

Coach Collins entire sales pitch is recruiting. I can't believe he would come to a place that would not allow him to go all out in that activity. It would be like Michael Jordan or Tim Tebow deciding to play professional baseball.

Rumor is yes. If Collins don't get the alumni and donors jazzed up, what will?

Sure, I can see additional enthusiasm from donors, but I’m more interested in learning if TStan is giving him more resources—staff and money.

Coach Collins entire sales pitch is recruiting. I can't believe he would come to a place that would not allow him to go all out in that activity. It would be like Michael Jordan or Tim Tebow deciding to play professional baseball.

I’m sure that the he will go all out, but I’d like to see that backed up with commitment from the school. Time for the school to care and pony up some funds.

Sure, I can see additional enthusiasm from donors, but I’m more interested in learning if TStan is giving him more resources—staff and money.
See TIA's reply. I'm no insider, but the hire would seem to indicate a certain change in philosophical direction.

It does seem like the bulk of our 2 star recruits were on the O-line. So, I think there is definitely something to the idea that CPJ targeted a specific type of lineman that other P5 schools didn't want.

I'd imagine that's where donor enthusiasm comes in.

See TIA's reply. I'm no insider, but the hire would seem to indicate a certain change in philosophical direction.
For the life of me, I can't understand why we'd pony up for a newcomer, unproven coach but not for a known quantity. Of course, I'll be happy if we pony up now, regardless.

Back