Recruiting Update.....

Father WASP

Flats Noob
I understand that Mark Richt will be finished with his total number of commitments by next week, completing the biggest sweep through Georgia since Sherman. Since that laugher of a bowl game is in danger of cancelling, our "staff" will be on the road going head to head next week with Vanderbilt and Tulane for what is left. Oh, I forgot, we are recruiting "nationally". I wonder why. Now before you start in about not ridiculing the current situation, pray tell what every school we compete against thought of "ridicule" this season vs. Maryland and Georgia? Is this the performance and personality that is going to induce any athlete with a choice to come to Tech?

Frankly, I'm still not worried about recruiting. Maybe I will be come January but right now I think it will turn out okay. Also, I'm not too concerned about how many GA recruits we get (although I don't buy Gailey's excuse either) but instead want to get as many good athletes as possible (national or local). We've had a team full of GA players the past two years and that didn't seem to help with getting them motivated to play their archrival. So the argument that you have to have local players to get them into the UGA game seems mute. What it takes to win the ACC & beat UGA is good athletes. If we can get enough of them (national or local) then we will be fine.

Also, if I were a good athlete who was looking a programs I would definately choose Tech. Good degree, chance to play immediately, coach who doesn't mind letting freshman play (played quite a few this year), team that gets on TV a lot (all but one game this year), and a coach who has connnections to the NFL. Why not come here? Plus, our conference is such that you always have a chance to win it and play in a BCS game.

We've got some important visits coming up these next few weeks so lets just see how everything goes before we begin to panic about recruiting.

Wrong Trod, players will want to come to Tech! They will see the oportunity(sp) to come in play now and possibly help to build a winning program. Yes the opportunity is there to build and for them to get the notarity that would come with building the program like the Phoenix we will rise from the ashes and be the Jackets of old.

Point of interest: Bill Lewis's first recruiting class of 22 had 3 players from the state of Georgia. This class was heralded by the media guide as one of Tech's strongest classes in years, but never developed into anything of great note.
BOO

I am tired of all the nonsense.

All the ridicule comes from the seudo fans and the ugag moles that want to break our success and traditions.

It is absolutely naive that the professionals are not aware of the situation, and the leadership has less knowledge and experience that the majority of us posters.

a Tech man since 1958

Yeah, what GTT said!

Ok, y'all are overlooking something here- Out of the top say 50 HS athletes in Georgia, how many can cut the mustard here at Tech? Let's say 20 or so... now the real challenge is to find outta that 20 the ones that are interested in Management or Engineering - let's be generous and say 12. Now the real kicker is how many out of those few WILL EVER EVEN CONSIDER TECH? 'Cause they grew up with family and friends rootin' big for UGa. It's a sad fact that UGa fans outnumber Tech fans in GA three to one (or more!) That's the hump ya gotta git over in Georgia and why Tech HAS to recruit nationally. It takes a very special kid to ignore peer and family pressure, not to mention the academic rigors at Tech, to choose to come here.

GeeTeeLee... you said it all AND you made it understandable... trouble is some try to make it so difficult and convuluted...
very well articulated, thanks...

GeeTeeLee... good job... and I will add another thing to the list...

There are some who do not want to come anywhere near Atlanta.... Auburn, Knoxville, Athens, etc. can all present the "college town" feel... Tech is the only school in the South East that sits in the middle of a major city (besides Miami) .. and I dont consider Raleigh etc as being major cities... This is a factor... some parents dont want their kids in Atlanta, and some kids only want to be here for the party, and then retreat to friendlier confines...

Originally posted by avispon:

All the ridicule comes from the seudo fans and the ugag moles that want to break our success and traditions.

It is absolutely naive that the professionals are not aware of the situation, and the leadership has less knowledge and experience that the majority of us posters.

a Tech man since 1958
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL well said...

Agree with OF and avispon. TECH leans heavily on it's academic creds in recruiting. Guys come to TECH because they WANT TO GO TO TECH! TECH still has a lot to offer, as it always has. We've had some leadership problems in the past but we're progressively building for the future now. Build it and they will come.

GO JACKETS! BEAT GOPHERS!

Originally posted by avispon:

a Tech man since 1958
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm tired of the nonsense as well. Nicely said.

It's really getting rediculous and out of hand.

Why would a skill offensive player want to play in boring offense and a boring coach??

Techrod, sadly, I agree with you, and I also hope that I am so off base, but I am one of those that has to see to believe. Any confidence I have in CG so far has been wishful thinking cause we haven't seen any evidence of his ability to take us to nextlevel.....YET!!

Back