Recruiting ?

Patriot

Varsity Lurker
I stated a few days ago that our recruiting had to improve and I was blasted for it. Somebody made the statement that "we don't need top talent, we recruit undersized athletes who we can mold into our system". With ALL of the this mess academically and forcing us to play true Fr. aren't we going against our plan? Are these guys ready? Just a question for those who argued my statement.

Patriot, there is no doubt our recruiting needs to improve, both academically and athletically. We can be proud of those who have come to Tech.

It should always be a goal to strive for the best recruits possible.

smile.gif

Well, Patriot, we certainly need to take a big step up in quantity & get 20 div1a prospects out of the group, rather than 12-14. Tech does need to recruit top talent, of course, or we cannot stay with FSU, Miami & VT over the long haul.
Only a handful of true Fr are really ready for div1a. Tech has not been forced to play ANY Fr as of this writing. Remember that injuries happen to the Fr as often, or more, than they do to the veterans. Some Fr thought to be ready will get injured & have to sit out the yr. Others may be forced to play if their position vets go out with injuries. Injuries are the wild card on how many, if any, Fr play in '03.
Look at our RBs last yr. We had the best RB in the nation, then EZ has to play. Clinkscale took a major step up & then ouch, Sampson has to play. We were still able to rs many Fr last yr. Injuries are the key & they WILL happen. Where they happen is the determining factor on most true Fr being 'forced' to play.

Back