Red Shirt most of the incoming class?

JacketFan

Varsity Lurker
I am not advocating that CG do this. I just wonder since there are some posters who feel the upcoming season as a looming disaster if this might be a possibility.

This is not without precedent. Tom Osborne RED Shirted many ,many players from incoming classes! It was also done at the University of Washington several years ago (the entire incoming class) when they were in trouble with the NCAA. They were not going to be bowl eligible, and lost several 'ships.

I just wonder what you all think about such a radical move The upside is a no brainer(an extra years eligiblity). Do we have enough upperclassmen to do it. Osborne always had more troops waiting! He never rebuilt, just reloaded.The downside is of course a real beating from most everyone we face.

How much are we going to need these new players. I am not close at all to the situation because we live in Olympia, Washington.

I just thought I'd toss this out there and stimulate a little lively debate(no flames please). It's just a thought,let's hear what you think.

There will be many rshirts but until 2 adays we don't know who can contribute immediately and those that need to bring the talent up to D-1 play.

We will RS as many as we can, as always, but percentage wise it stands to be much lower this year due to our academic losses. A number of the true freshmen will have to play in all likelihood. I don't think there is any way you write off a season trying to improve the odds down the road. It's not fair to the seniors for one thing and it costs people their jobs. It will be easy to say in retrospect if we have a bad year that it would have been the smart thing to do. But if you go into a season with the attitude that we're going to lose so it doesn't matter, then you have no business coaching or playing IMO.

Now in a normal year I think you RS everybody except those who fill a particular need or are just too good to sit. Also don't forget that you can RS at any time. So if we use a RS year for some freshmen next year and down the road have a backlog of talent at a particular position, they can still RS at that point.

I wouldn't toss the towel in on the season and redshirt all the frogs. For one thing, it would hurt their morale, affecting their development and who knows, some may leave. For another thing I think it would send a terrible message to potential recruits who we can sell on the prospect of playing early. For a third thing, an 0-12 season of getting our braines
wink.gif
beat out would also hurt the program and recruiting. There's just too much downside to it in my book.

I will make a flat statement. I have heard it direct from the horses mouth. Gailey is not throwing in the towel on any game this year.

He has stated he will try to win every game.

This tells me, he will not sacrifice one game, much less the season to redshirt freshmen players. I believe he will play any freshman he thinks can help the team and any freshman he thinks will give us back-up replacements where we are thin.

Since we have already lost ten players to the grades, look for some of the freshmen to play early.

Actually, we might fare pretty well this year. I believe the defense will be vastly improved. I believe the quarterback play will be vastly improved due to Nix. I have not thrown in the towel for the season and am expecting good things for this team.

wink.gif

Most Fr just are not ready for div1a football. Most will rs. Some will come in ready to play & will do so. Expect 5 or 6 to not rs.
What you'll see is a lot of players that have not played much for Tech, yet, to see the field. The rFr & rSo will get more pt than we expected this yr. They are in better position to help the team than incoming Fr.
STs hopefully will have good players & will improve over last season as Coach Wilson can make a difference. The coach we had last yr didn't cut it & it cost us many times & a coupla games.
Losing the rFr (McNair, McHargue & Sampson) hurts much more than Lawston & Green.

Tons of these kids are going to play. Gailey has basically said that almost all of the defenders will have to play. The LBs, DBs will be needed for special teams and depth. All four of the DLs are basically 2nd teamers right now. The academic losses gutted us up front. Ready or not, these kids have to play.

On offense, the WR and RB will have to be in the depth. I doubt any of the OLs will be ready but if we have injuries they will be forced out there.

Back