Remembering Tech's Heros Today

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Remembering Tech\'s Heros Today

With it being Memorial Day and this being a Tech football board I thought it is appropiate to remember the Georgia Tech players that gave their life doing their duty. I am not sure of the number but I know a large group of players from the classes of the late 1930's and into the 1940's gave their life in WW2. Of course we lost Clint Castleberry who likely would have gave Tech a Heisman winner even though there was some pretty good competition around in Blanchard and Davis at Army and Charley Trippi at Georgia. But there was so many others who fought for Tech and then for the USA that I wish I could recall all their names. Does anyone have the lists? I don't recall if we lost anyone in WW1, Korea or Vietnam but I certainly would like to give my appreciation for them also. I once saw a book at Brown & Noble's that had the entire lists of all the collegiate players that died in WW2. I should have bought it. Big regret now. Castleberry was promenetly mentioned in the what could've been category. Alexander was the coach for these men and he did a helluva job. Real Heros.

Re: Remembering Tech\'s Heros Today

Amen, and may god bless those who fought and those who made the ultimate sacrifice(sp).

Thanks Stateline,
Kinda makes our grumbling over other issues insignificant.

The 1939 team was one of the greatest Tech teams. Several players lost their lives in WW2. I don't have their names, but Bobby Beers, a halfback from Newnan,was one who gave his life for his country.

Dodd's Luck stated there were nine of the 1939 team that lost their life in the war. It did not name the other eight, but did say Mack Tharpe was one of them.

frown.gif

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
With it being Memorial Day and this being a Tech football board I thought it is appropiate to remember the Georgia Tech players that gave their life doing their duty. I am not sure of the number but I know a large group of players from the classes of the late 1930's and into the 1940's gave their life in WW2. Of course we lost Clint Castleberry who likely would have gave Tech a Heisman winner even though there was some pretty good competition around in Blanchard and Davis at Army and Charley Trippi at Georgia. But there was so many others who fought for Tech and then for the USA that I wish I could recall all their names. Does anyone have the lists? I don't recall if we lost anyone in WW1, Korea or Vietnam but I certainly would like to give my appreciation for them also. I once saw a book at Brown & Noble's that had the entire lists of all the collegiate players that died in WW2. I should have bought it. Big regret now. Castleberry was promenetly mentioned in the what could've been category. Alexander was the coach for these men and he did a helluva job. Real Heros.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Kinda makes you wonder what Charlie Trippi was doing stateside playing football when everyone else was laying it on the line for freedom...

I don't think Trippi played for them in '43 0r '44, maybe '45. I've never heard him called a draft dodger.

Originally posted by rammsting:
I don't think Trippi played for them in '43 0r '44, maybe '45. I've never heard him called a draft dodger.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Trippi was a Bulldog but not a draft dodger. US Army Air Corp. He played during the '41 and '42 seasons and then '45 and '46.

My Daddy was not a Ramblin Reck, but he fathered one. He was killed on Saipan June 16, 1943. As a lineman, he was laying communication lines from the front lines back to HQ. A Japanese officer who was hiding jumped him and they killed each other in hand-to-hand combat. The Japanese soldier struck the death blow with a Samari Sword right at the getgo. Witnesses said that my father's rifle was on his shoulder inside the roll of wire. He was struck with the sword while trying to get to his rifle. Once he got it off, he threw it as he was falling and dying. The muzzle penetrated the enemy's forehead killing him instantly. The whole scene took just seconds, and the witnesses could not react in time. The movie, Windtalkers, has a scene which is a take-off on the episode.

Addendum to my post ... I was not born during the 2nd World War - the scrapbook was shown to me in my teens - A LOT LATER ON!!!

Originally posted by mustard:
My Daddy was not a Ramblin Reck, but he fathered one. He was killed on Saipan June 16, 1943. As a lineman, he was laying communication lines from the front lines back to HQ. A Japanese officer who was hiding jumped him and they killed each other in hand-to-hand combat. The Japanese soldier struck the death blow with a Samari Sword right at the getgo. Witnesses said that my father's rifle was on his shoulder inside the roll of wire. He was struck with the sword while trying to get to his rifle. Once he got it off, he threw it as he was falling and dying. The muzzle penetrated the enemy's forehead killing him instantly. The whole scene took just seconds, and the witnesses could not react in time. The movie, Windtalkers, has a scene which is a take-off on the episode.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Can't help but notice the anniversary about your father's death is right around the corner. Your dad obviously was made of the right stuff. Thank you for sharing that story with us.

America's second greatest flying ace, Thomas McGuire was a Tech man, but do not know if he was involved with athletics. That does not matter however.

A prayer for all those who sacrificed and all those who gave their lives in every military action!

All 4 of my uncles served in World War II. My wonderful Uncle Ted was in the Army and was in the Pacific Theatre. He played a integral part in capturing several Japanese soldiers and officers during several raids in the Pacific. I can remember my mother showing me press clipings from our local paper of all her brothers getting medals and one with my Uncle Ted in the jungles of the Pacific.

I now have the scrapbook she kept during the 2nd World War. Fortunately, all my uncles came home alive!

Back