Retro Tech Football Photo

JollyGoodFellow90GT#1

Varsity Lurker
Tech pic27.jpg

GO JACKETS!

Yep, the late Smylie (It was his mother's maiden name) Lee Gebhart vs Michigan State in 1971, Grant Field.

MSU's Eric "Flea" Allen would set a single game rushing record later of 350 yards vs Purdue, but Smylie & Company shut him down that day to under 50 yards in a 10-0 shutout. GF's AstroTurf was a zillion degrees that September day & MSU's guys wilted in the heat.

MSU had an A-A Safety Brad Van Pelt, a future member of the NY Giants LB Corps of Brian Kelley, Lawrence Taylor, and Harry Carson, and player of the 1970s for the NYG. Future Dallas Cowboys' Billy Joe Dupree was MSU's TE & NFL HoFer OG Joe DeLamielleure (Buffalo Bills "Electric Company") were also on GF that day.

is this the same game...our safety...Joe Harris...who was a LB , had a great D day? if i recall , he got switched to safety for this game?

I was in the student section for that game. Gebhart was an All-American DE at 190 lbs.

is this the same game...our safety...Joe Harris...who was a LB , had a great D day? if i recall , he got switched to safety for this game?
No.... Joe was a freshman in 1971 & not eligible for the varsity..... 1972 was the first year for that..... so Joe's play would have to have been in '72 in East Lansing.

No.... Joe was a freshman in 1971 & not eligible for the varsity..... 1972 was the first year for that..... so Joe's play would have to have been in '72 in East Lansing.
now i do recall ..not a home game....and listening on radio...thanks

Smylie made the AP All American team I believe, but died prematurely after a spinal cord injury in some type of accident. Did I get that right?

Smylie made the AP All American team I believe, but died prematurely after a spinal cord injury in some type of accident. Did I get that right?
Gibby was an assistant at Mississippi State & ruptured a disc lifting weights. Long story short = a quadriplegic for the last 15-20 years of his life. Died the week of the postponed (due to 9-11) FSU game in November of 2001. Buried in Meridian.

I remember we played two games against Michigan State, one up there and one on Grant Field. I believe Tech won both. I was at the one in Atlanta. We played some great teams back then. Remember when USC came to Grant Field. Bob Hope was there. During halftime, he came over the PA system and said, "This is like orange juice against Coca-Cola."

Too bad we got rid of that turf and have to run on coconut husks now
We must have gotten the discount version of that Turf, the Patriots, Bengals, and Notre Dame have Turf and their version of Artificial Turf looks much better than ours, I've see G5 Programs and their Turf looks better than ours seeing it on TV (albeit a non scientific eval).

Back