Ritch's comments about recruiting

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
Ritch\'s comments about recruiting

agree with what a lot of us have said regarding recruiting so heavily out of state. It just doesn't make sense:

Richt said. "Because it's murder to get a guy from out of state. When a kid signs with an in-state school, most everyone around him is happy for him. When he signs with an out-of-state school, he has to defend himself."

We did a good job out of state. We need to do better in state next year to be competitive with the improving ACC. I don't think we can sign top 25 classes with out of state players and we should not have to. There are plenty enough players in GA to support 2 very good college football teams.

Re: Ritch\'s comments about recruiting

But are there enough players to support 2 GREAT teams?

Agree - let's get them from everywhere! This IS a national recruiting school. If we can get good high schoolers from GA that want this curriculum and can make the grade - great. If not, there are plenty out there from other parts of the country.

The point that I was trying to make is not that we shouldn't continue to recruit out of state. My point is that we can't consistently recruit enough out of state players to remain in the upper eschelon of the ACC. It is hard to take top players from other states, I was using Ritch's comments to support that. It should be easier to recruit in state (this is obvious and shouldn't be a schocking/controversial statement). Gailey himself has said that we need to do better in state.

Most think this class is in the lower/middle of the ACC. Had we done better in state this would of gone from a solid class to a very good class.

Maybe Richt made those comments because he can't recruit out of state. It appears to me to be a compliment to Tech's staff.

The irony of Schlabach determinging the GA 50 and the Southeastern 100 is unbelievable. I don't know who picks the Super 11, but for some reason Roberson is the only one of the group that didn't make the Southern 100, but his fellow DB did.
Nothing like having a UGAG boy and beat writer deciding who are the best.
pat.gif

Goldmember: Totally agree. Have already made this same observation myself. Obvious we did a very fine job in Florida. So well you would have thought this was Florida Tech. But we are Georgia Tech and we cannot give our State to the Dawgs like we have this year. Along with Florida, our state has the best players year in and year out east of the Missisippi River. Homegrown recruits is tremendous public relations also. Which is something we have been lacking. Lets keep up the fine work in Florida and Texas but at the same time give Coach Richt and the Dawgs a run for their money in Georgia.

Goldtimer, being competitve in "the improving ACC" is not worth squat. If we are not doing the things necessary to be competitive with ugag it will not matter about the acc, which is mediocre at best.

I disagree and who cares what UGA thinks. 1st off many great or near great players have come from out of state. Billy Tee's, Lenny Snow, Jeff Ford and many others come to mind. So I hope Tech goes after the best no matter where he comes from.

Give me a break. We recruited well in the two best states in football; Texas and Florida. Those are the speed states and the key to successful football. I don't care where the kids come from; as long as they are quality.

UGA is the states school; so they will tend to get more kids from GA. Also they have looser academic restrictions...if any.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
Maybe Richt made those comments because he can't recruit out of state. It appears to me to be a compliment to Tech's staff.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't flatter yourself. I don't think CMR was too impressed with your recruiting class (7th best in the ACC).

After the season he had, why would Richt waste resources to recruit out of state when you don't have any competition in state? This year was easy pickins for UGA in GA.

If you remember, O'Liar recruited in-state talent as well as anyone. Many times he said it was a priority, and IMO he made huge strides at picking up in-state talent. CG has the opportunity to hire an OC with contacts in-state. Choosing his next OC could possibly be the biggest decision in CG's coaching career.

I agree that we need to do a better job in state but not at the expense of our success in FL and TX. The best of both worlds would be to continue our out of state success and add some more top GA players, especially from the metro area.

Mr Butts,

Don't foget you are a visitor here, your referral to George O'Leary as O'Liar is getting real old.

Care to post your resume? As a self-proclaimed, former SEC coach, it should be interesting to see how the facts match up to it.

Originally posted by texstinger:
Goldtimer, being competitve in "the improving ACC" is not worth squat. If we are not doing the things necessary to be competitive with ugag it will not matter about the acc, which is mediocre at best.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Mediocre at best? Maybe you missed some of this years bowl games..

NCST vs Notre Dame, Virginia vs WVA, WF vs Oregon, and Maryland vs. Tenn..

These four teams dismantled their opponents..

Back