Rumor: Texas to offer $10 Million/year to Saban

Texas is a mess.

Texas insider:
Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB
High-level sources tell OB Mack Brown will step down as coach at Texas after 16 years.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1585894

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
Mack Brown to 247: "I'm in FL recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here." Said not stepping down

ron-paul.gif

High-level sources are telling me that Beestorm will be the new sysadmin at shaggybevo. Announcement soon.

C7Geft3.png

i cant wait to see 3GT drink piss at the tailgate

or not have to suffer his idiocy on this board any longer.

i LOVE this Guaran-TEE

You're going to be waiting LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

they'll probably finalize the deal and saban will sign the papers. just before he taps pen to paper, texas will ask for one more second and another coach will come in and sign the contract instead.

they'll probably finalize the deal and saban will sign the papers. just before he taps pen to paper, texas will ask for one more second and another coach will come in and sign the contract instead.

:bowrofl:

so saban has a $7 million deal, and it's been on the table since friday. Meanwhile, it looks like texas offered a $10 million/year for 10 years so $100 million, + 1% of the longhorn network.

Not sure if saban actually makes it to texas, but I really hope he does. The butthurt from bama and the rest of the SEC ( minus auburn/tenn) will be glorious.

Stefan Stevenson ?@FollowtheFrogs 1m
Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Nick Saban will be next Longhorns coach.

its happening dot gif

Joe Schad ?@schadjoe 12m

Mack Brown has had active discussions with Texas officials about his intention to resign

Joe Schad ?@schadjoe 11m

There is a good chance Mack Brown's resignation will become official later this week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...131210/mack-brown-texas-longhorns-nick-saban/

"Last days for Mack Brown at Texas

NEW YORK -- As the clock neared midnight on Monday, Texas Coach Mack Brown sipped a drink at the Peacock Alley Restaurant in the Waldorf Astoria hotel lobby. He sat at a large table next to the Texas Athletic Director Steve Patterson, the man essentially hired to replace Brown.

This week is the unofficial college football convention in New York for the National Football Foundation dinner, and everyone who walked through the dim lobby of the aging Waldorf couldn't help notice Brown and Patterson, side by side. At the nearby bar, college sports officials sipped on $11 Amstel Lights and watched in disbelief. It appeared scripted, with the only thing missing a duet of Kumbaya.

If this is indeed the end for Mack Brown's tenure at Texas, the Waldorf lobby offered a serene final scene to contrast the dysfunction that's shrouded the University of Texas recently. Nothing to see here, with Brown flashing a smile and his perfectly coiffed white hair in place.

When news broke Tuesday about Brown potentially stepping down at Texas, what was left out of the discussion was whether Texas' dysfunctional leaders would scare away big-time coaching candidates.

Orangebloods.com first reported Brown's plans to step down. University officials and Brown vehemently denied the report, but Brown's end game at Texas has long been a considered a foregone conclusion. Predicting Brown's ending right now is like betting on the Harlem Globetrotters to win. Officials could deny its reality, but the final buzzer and obvious result will sound on Brown sometime sooner than later. The program has regressed since the 2009 title game to the point of national irrelevancy. The only looming question at Texas this season was when Brown would depart. Brown did Texas well, and he should go out as gracefully as he can.

The hottest question among the athletic directors and agents swarming the lobby bars and trendy bistros on Park Avenue this week has been who will be Brown's replacement. The combination of a slow year in coaching turnover and the magnitude of the job have the eyes of the industry staring at Texas."

NEW YORK -- As the clock neared midnight on Monday, Texas Coach Mack Brown sipped a drink at the Peacock Alley Restaurant in the Waldorf Astoria hotel lobby.."

Rich old white dude sipping on a cognac in the Waldorf Astoria about to get a massive buyout. Why should he give a rip?

Jesus just posted this:

Knowing full well that any numbers I throw out will aid and abet the enemy, I will say the minimum. Again, full disclosure, I'm reporting a story that seems to be taking on a life of it's own but I feel it's important to post now so this website is credited for the work. To that end, I'll also be posting my real identity tomorrow and I will email all subsequent stories to the various media outlets including but not limited to ESPN, CBS Sports, etc.

Here's what I got.

In talking to various sources plugged into the Alabama and Texas sides, it seems Nick Saban is roughly $20 million in the hole due to investments with LSU and Alabama alums. These investments are predominantly in the commercial real estate space. For his trouble, Nick Saban is not a happy camper with these two alumni bases and has a hole in his retirement plan that Mark Ingram could run through. Additionally, I'm told Texas and the Longhorn Foundation have "passed the hat" to provide a dollar amount up front that nearly makes Nick Saban whole after these defunct investments. Call it the Lamarr Houston/Roy Miller investment strategy. The mechanism used to fund this "bonus" will be off the books in order to make the total compensation package more politically palatable when it's officially announced. Texas does not want to be perceived as the Yankees and again, I don't want to help negotiations with enemy.

As far as conventional compensation, look for the number to be right around eight million a year for six years with a two-year option. This structure makes it more acceptable to the BOR and the academics in the school. Don't tell them how much the athletic department contributes to the general fund because they won't listen. Just know that the football men understand how the perception game is played.

Trust me, I understand that there's always a counter offer in these deals, but I'm told that the Bama president does not want to get in a bidding war against Texas because she doesn't want it to seem like Bama is a semi-pro team. Again, this is the academic's mindset at work. She's, after all, Bill Powers' peer or at least is attempting to be. Add this item to the fact that Bama's Athletic Director Bill Battle has gotten sideways with Saban, and it doesn't bode well for the Tide. One final piece is Chancellor Witt.

Dr. Witt is the only ally that Saban has at the administrative level at Bama and he happens to be a Texas guy. Yes, Dr. Witt has a soft spot in his heart for Texas, and has told folks close to the Texas AD that he thinks Saban is headed to Austin.

If Saban is announced as the Texas head football coach in the next few days, fans will be in line to enjoy an historic change in culture and football operations in general.

Like you, I will enjoy the process.

In other words, I will look forward to Nick Saban's process.

http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=4715

Some points Ketch made on Saban:
This is the moment this piece of the story has been waiting on. As if Frodo had just put the ring on his ringer, the eye of college football has turned to Alabama to see what step Nick Saban takes next. His silence today speaks volumes. VOLUMES.

Whether he takes the Texas job or not, this is the moment Jimmy Sexton and Saban have been waiting on, the moment when the true power of Saban's worth reveals itself. Seven million? Ten Million? One Hundred Million? Two Hundred Million. A Billion? Whatever that number is, everything that has been hinted at for the last year comes to a head right now. This is what they have been waiting for and I mean…. W-a-i-t-i-n-g. Now Saban gets paid, Sexton gets paid and then all of Sexton's other clients get paid again, which means Sexton gets to double dip on the rake! My God, I want to be Jimmy Sexton when I grow up. Total mancrush.

6. Every day Saban is silent, the better it becomes for Texas. No matter what happens, I really don't believe Saban wants to be viewed as a guy that was aligning for Mack's job before it was open. It will be incredibly hard for him to stay silent for the next 48 hours. Or hell, maybe it won't. We'll see, but I know every reporter on the planet is on the story now. Buckle up.

7. Just to be clear, this is the greatest attempted coaching theft in the history of the sport. It would cause the entire college football world to rumble.

8. There is no downside here for Texas. The might of the job is becoming apparent by the very discussion that is beginning to take place. If not Saban, this will be a very coveted position.

ib1D9qkyHyfLRF.gif

Back