Rumor: Texas to offer $10 Million/year to Saban

84 Civil

Damn Good Rat
Friend of mine in Baton Rouge mentioned this to me Friday. If you have been to Tuscaloosa and Austin where would you rather raise your family? Austin hands down. All rumor at this point, but interesting.

nvastinger

Damn Good Rat
Friend of mine in Baton Rouge mentioned this to me Friday. If you have been to Tuscaloosa and Austin where would you rather raise your family? Austin hands down.
Where people want to raise their families depends on the person. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who consider Austin a pinko librul hell hole.

Besides, Saban's in his sixties. His kids are grown. Why leave a team in the top conference with the most rabid redneck degenerate fan base in the country to put out a dumpster fire in the Big whatever?

johncu

Dodd-Like
Where people want to raise their families depends on the person. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who consider Austin a pinko librul hell hole.

Besides, Saban's in his sixties. His kids are grown. Why leave a team in the top conference with the most rabid redneck degenerate fan base in the country to put out a dumpster fire in the Big whatever?
New challenge, maybe? What's left to do at Bama?

3GT

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, the aTm-Bama took on a mega-event status...much bigger than aTm-Texas.

Losing to BYU and firing their DC was bad enough for Texas.

Gettign clobbered by "SEC" team Ole Miss the same weekend as the latest
"Game of the Year" hype with aTm-Bama was REALLY REALLY bad PR for Texas.

IMO, the SEC branding/marketing effort is already beginning to "marginalize" U-Texas brand. And, IMO, DeLoss Dodds knows it.

Mark it down: Mack Brown is OUT, at end of season.

Texas is not just losing on the field. Texas is losing the much bigger PR battle. Badly.

IMO, Texas will HAVE to Saban for HUGE $$$ just to stem the rising tide of HEAVY SEC influence.

Hiring anyone less than the status of Saban or Gruden will be another big blow to U-Texas "brand."

IMO, OK & OKST are the SEC's next to key targets.

If the SEC gets OK & OKST, it will have an ENORMOUSLY NEGATIVE impact on the future of the U-Texas program.

georgiatech22

Dodd-Like
When and if Saban leaves Alabama, I would hate to be the guy that follows Saban. If he doesn't win the MNC the first season, the fans are going to be all over him.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
Hiring anyone less than the status of Saban or Gruden will be another big blow to U-Texas "brand."

IMO, OK & OKST are the SEC's next to key targets.

If the SEC gets OK & OKST, it will have an ENORMOUSLY NEGATIVE impact on the future of the U-Texas program.
I don't disagree about the Oklahoma schools bolting. The Longhorn Network was completely marginallized when A&M left and has been a disaster. However, Texas will be ok when they go hat in hand to the PAC 12.

Goes to show how weak the Big XII is and why FSU and Clemson didn't bolt. They know that the ACC has much better long term prospects.

Inside sources close to the situation tell me Gruden is already in Austin putting together the next Longhorn coaching staff.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Total BS. Tons of Texas posters have just been posting crap like "let's give Saban $10 million a year. We are Texas. We make $133 million a year in revenue. Saban likes building, not maintaining" blah....blah.....blah.....

They should hire Petrino wit the quickness...

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Would it ever be possible if Texas went to the Pac 12 for Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor to come to the ACC? Oklahoma State is obviously going to be severely downgraded because of the current scandal. Any combination?

Or do we just wait for Notre Dame to come around and try to steal Penn State and that's it?

QuadF

Dodd-Like
what's the possibility they go after kirby smart as head coach?

GT_LUVER

Helluva Engineer
Would it ever be possible if Texas went to the Pac 12 for Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor to come to the ACC? Oklahoma State is obviously going to be severely downgraded because of the current scandal. Any combination?

Or do we just wait for Notre Dame to come around and try to steal Penn State and that's it?
I would love to get Penn St but I just don't see them leaving the B10. I also think Texas is more likely to join the ACC than PAC 12 especially if they can talk ND into joining full time.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
I've got a source that tells me Saban was in Texas just this weekend.

He tracked his plane and everything.

I expect an announcement soon.

supertech1984

Flats Noob
Alabama could offer $20 million without blinking. It's NFL caliber money intake without a single contract to hand a player.

Geographical references should be removed from conference names if Texas joins either one of the coastal conferences. I propose new names for the four super conferences:

1. ACC = Big Brain Conference
2. SEC = Big Dummy Conference
3. B1G = Big Slow Conference
3. PAC? = Big Late-Night Conference