Rumor: Texas to offer $10 Million/year to Saban

GTSaxophone

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sick of people even suggesting this. I heard them debating on 790 about if Texas could lure Saban away the other day. Even if Texas fans can't wrap their head around it, Bama is just as prestigious, devout, and financially rewarding of a place for Saban to be. Bama is a final destination college job, and with the success he is having, it won't be long before he is right up there with Bear Bryant. It would be one of the single dumbest moves in sports history for him to move to another college job. Maybe he tries the NFL again, but that's another debate entirely (and I personally doubt it).

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
I'm sick of people even suggesting this. I heard them debating on 790 about if Texas could lure Saban away the other day. Even if Texas fans can't wrap their head around it, Bama is just as prestigious, devout, and financially rewarding of a place for Saban to be. Bama is a final destination college job, and with the success he is having, it won't be long before he is right up there with Bear Bryant. It would be one of the single dumbest moves in sports history for him to move to another college job. Maybe he tries the NFL again, but that's another debate entirely (and I personally doubt it).
It'd be all about money. Texas can pay more than Bama can.

Would they? I doubt it. But they have the ability to.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
The only thing I could see actually luring Saban away is the challenge to do it all again. It's less an appeal to Saban financially or school prestige and more an appeal to his arrogance, if in his mind it's easy for him now at Bama so he'd want to challenge more.

So Texas will end up with Kiffin? He was in Texas a recently as December.
I would only believe that if Bill Donaldson confirmed it. I'd find it easier to believe James Franklin would move to Austin. He's done amazing things at Vanderbilt, but I can't remember what they are.

Waiting to see who Gruden takes to Austin with him.

georgiatech22

Dodd-Like
I would only believe that if Bill Donaldson confirmed it. I'd find it easier to believe James Franklin would move to Austin. He's done amazing things at Vanderbilt, but I can't remember what they are.
Winning 9 games last season and winning a bowl game, that's like winning a MNC for Vandy.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
It would be sickly hilarious if Butch Jones immediately left Tennessee for Texas. Tennessee is my secondary team - wayyyy behind GT. Their fans might burn Neyland down this time if they get Kiffined again.

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
QUOTE=GTLiebs;1344335]The only thing I could see actually luring Saban away is the challenge to do it all again. It's less an appeal to Saban financially or school prestige and more an appeal to his arrogance, if in his mind it's easy for him now at Bama so he'd want to challenge more.[/QUOTE]

This is most likely true.

eg1

Dodd-Like
Sabtan not leaving unless the regulators get too hot on the trail viz. Carroll ...

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
If Texas offered Saban $10 Mil, Bama would match and the whole market for collegiate coaches would officially jump the shark. The unsustainability of coach's pay would immediately cause mass bankruptcies and the demise of college football would shortly follow.

....take it to the BANK!!

3GT

Jolly Good Fellow

U-Texas could BUY the U-Alabama.

U-Texas endowment: $17 BILLION

U-Alabama endowment: $995 Million.

LINK: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45lieh/1-texas-longhorns/

Most valuable college "football" teams:
1. Texas at $133 Million
6. Alabama at $95 Million

Until Saban arrived, Bama was a recent "also-ran."

U-Texas is considered WAAAAAAAY MORE prestigeous than Bama could EVER hope to be.

Texas can write a check for ANY AMOUNT to get Saban or whoever they want.

IMO, at the end of this season, Texas will.

3GT

Jolly Good Fellow
The only thing I could see actually luring Saban away is the challenge to do it all again. It's less an appeal to Saban financially or school prestige and more an appeal to his arrogance, if in his mind it's easy for him now at Bama so he'd want to challenge more.

Yawn. Been saying that for.......months.

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
we all know that 3GT predictions are about as solid as a house of cards in a windstorm

if someone at Bama pissed him off, i could see it, but thats the only reason. he doesnt need another challenge at his age - he is 61

Texas might fire Mack Brown and they will likely be able to lure a decent name coach, but they cannot "get anyone they want" and they will not get Saban

its just retarted internet logic that he would ever go there

olgoldandwhite

Dodd-Like
If Texas offered Saban $10 Mil, Bama would match and the whole market for collegiate coaches would officially jump the shark. The unsustainability of coach's pay would immediately cause mass bankruptcies and the demise of college football would shortly follow.

....take it to the BANK!!
This!

I vote CMR to Texas and Dooley to Athens.

GTSaxophone

Jolly Good Fellow
U-Texas could BUY the U-Alabama.

U-Texas endowment: $17 BILLION

U-Alabama endowment: $995 Million.

LINK: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45lieh/1-texas-longhorns/

Most valuable college "football" teams:
1. Texas at $133 Million
6. Alabama at $95 Million

Until Saban arrived, Bama was a recent "also-ran."

U-Texas is considered WAAAAAAAY MORE prestigeous than Bama could EVER hope to be.

Texas can write a check for ANY AMOUNT to get Saban or whoever they want.

IMO, at the end of this season, Texas will.

All Texas has is money, and despite what you may think, that is not everything. Texas and Alabama are about even in winning percentage and wins (.716 to .712 and 867 to 827), and Bama has the huge edge in titles even before Saban's recent success. Your point about Bama being an also-ran doesn't mean much. Texas had some success under Vince Young and Colt McCoy, but outside that, they had been searching for a return to glory, just like Bama was before Saban.

What you also need to realize is that Alabama is willing to sell their souls for their football program. Saban already makes 5.3 million a year from Alabama. If you don't think they are willing and capable to pony up another 2 million minimum to keep him around, you're either kidding yourself, or vastly underestimate Alabama. Yes, that would only be 7.3 million, but a difference of 3 million between Bama and Texas wouldn't be enough to lure Saban from a situation where he has his program entrenched in place with great success, in my opinion.

ciegetanks

Damn Good Rat
1. ACC = Academic College Conference
2. SEC = (Doesn't stand for anything, it's just the only letters of the alphabet their fans recognize)
3. B1G = Big Slow Conference (yeah that's correct)
3. PAC? = Big Hippies Conference, each team can change their mascots to one of the Grateful Dead bears.
ftfy

3GT

Jolly Good Fellow
All Texas has is money, and despite what you may think, that is not everything. Texas and Alabama are about even in winning percentage and wins (.716 to .712 and 867 to 827), and Bama has the huge edge in titles even before Saban's recent success. Your point about Bama being an also-ran doesn't mean much. Texas had some success under Vince Young and Colt McCoy, but outside that, they had been searching for a return to glory, just like Bama was before Saban.

What you also need to realize is that Alabama is willing to sell their souls for their football program. Saban already makes 5.3 million a year from Alabama. If you don't think they are willing and capable to pony up another 2 million minimum to keep him around, you're either kidding yourself, or vastly underestimate Alabama. Yes, that would only be 7.3 million, but a difference of 3 million between Bama and Texas wouldn't be enough to lure Saban from a situation where he has his program entrenched in place with great success, in my opinion.
Texas can outspend...every...other...D1 program in the country....by a VERY wide margin.

That is a fact.