Rumor: Texas to offer $10 Million/year to Saban

3GT

Jolly Good Fellow
we all know that 3GT predictions are about as solid as a house of cards in a windstorm

if someone at Bama pissed him off, i could see it, but thats the only reason. he doesnt need another challenge at his age - he is 61

Texas might fire Mack Brown and they will likely be able to lure a decent name coach, but they cannot "get anyone they want" and they will not get Saban

its just retarted internet logic that he would ever go there

Texas can outspend...every...other...D1 program in the country....by a VERY wide margin.

That is a fact.

GTSaxophone

Jolly Good Fellow
Texas can outspend...every...other...D1 program in the country....by a VERY wide margin.

That is a fact.

And just being able to throw money at people does not guarantee that they will be able to lure a guy. That's also a fact that your stupid ass seems to not comprehend.

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe

That is a fact.
the fact that texas is a state school belies your statement. but go ahead and underline and bold a lot of words that are wrong

that endowment of $18.2B is for the entire UT network of schools, not just UT-Austin

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
If Texas offered Saban $10 Mil, Bama would match and the whole market for collegiate coaches would officially jump the shark. The unsustainability of coach's pay would immediately cause mass bankruptcies and the demise of college football would shortly follow.

....take it to the BANK!!
Yup the bubble would be burst.

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
first of all 3GT you need to get your facts straight

the $18.2B endowment is for the entire UT school system. of that money, UT-Austin's endowment is about $7B - much lower than the endowments of other schools

the top 20 and where UT-Austin would be:

- Harvard University, $30.4 billion
- Yale University, $19.3 billion
- University of Texas system, $18.2 billion
- Stanford University, $17 billion
- Princeton University, $16.9 billion
- MIT, $10.1 billion
- University of Michigan, $7.6 billion
- Columbia University, $6.5 billion
- Texas A&M University system, $7.6 billion
UT-AUSTIN $7.2B
- Northwestern University, $7.1 billion
- University of Pennsylvania, $6.7 billion
- University of Chicago, $6.5 billion
- University of Notre Dame, $6.3 billion
- University of California, $5.9 billion
- Duke University, $5.5 billion
- Emory University, $5.4 billion
- Washington University in St. Louis, $5.2 billion
- Cornell University, $4.9 billion
- University of Virginia, $4.7 billion
- Rice University $4.4 billion

look, there they are at #10, just below Texas A&M; Stanford has more than twice as much

now maybe you will shut up about this. if your though process were legit Stanford, Michigan, and Texas A&M could all get Saban before UT-Austin. and watch out for Duke, Cal, and Northwestern. just sleeping giants :rolleyes:

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
.....and the endowment isn't there to pay for football coaches.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
.....and the endowment isn't there to pay for football coaches.
No. 3GT is offbase by mentioning the endowment.

Texas is the richest athletic department however. Their profit is almost equal to Alabama's revenue.

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
No. 3GT is offbase by mentioning the endowment.

Texas is the richest athletic department however. Their profit is almost equal to Alabama's revenue.
and Texas A&M has like 30 mega-millionaire guys willing to dole out damoney for the cause as well. I agree that Texas has spending power, but
1) that is not all that matters, especially in this case; and
2) it is not outrageously more than other schools could generate

their athletic dept is wealthy because they do well in many sports, not just football; and they get fan support for other sports, not just football. and because they sell out football games with over 100k even when they boo the coach

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
their athletic dept is wealthy because they do well in many sports, not just football; and they get fan support for other sports, not just football. and because they sell out football games with over 100k even when they boo the coach
Longhorn network has been very lucrative.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Baylor, Ok State and Ok will probably roll Texas, then there is TCU, TTech and K State with a chance to win. Things can get a lot worse for Texas.

05GTCorndog

Staff member
Baylor, Ok State and Ok will probably roll Texas, then there is TCU, TTech and K State with a chance to win. Things can get a lot worse for Texas.
So despite the latest run-up, Longhorn Butthurt futures are still a buy?

GT1992

Dodd-Like
I'm afraid that 3GT has gone colorblind. Now he needs to go boldblind.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Saban won't leave Bama unless there is about to be major upheaval due to the NCAA.

Texas has plenty of money to hire another well established or proven young head coach. Jimbo Fisher would be one likely candidate. Gruden would be another hot commodity but I would think they would want someone proven at the college level, which he isn't. I could see them going after Richt; but don't think they will.

slugboy

Flats Noob
Saban won't leave Bama unless there is about to be major upheaval due to the NCAA.

Texas has plenty of money to hire another well established or proven young head coach. Jimbo Fisher would be one likely candidate. Gruden would be another hot commodity but I would think they would want someone proven at the college level, which he isn't. I could see them going after Richt; but don't think they will.
Why would they grab Fisher, when he hasn't won that big at FSU? How many ACC championships does he have? Would his recruits be that much better at Texas?

I can actually see grabbing Franklin--winning big at a small school, and able to do something with Texas resources. I can see Richt (except he has the same flaws as Mack Brown--not hiring the right assistants). Maybe going to Louisville and taking Charlie Strong.

Look for a guy who can recruit and has a mid-size school playing out of their weight class.

Maybe Gus Malzahn at AU is a target. Or Al Golden. They make sense to me.