Running Backs

Techster1,

D'oh, thanks for the correction. The high school is in Thomasville, w/a diff. name., but nonetheless, firmly in the "deep South." Incidently, their nickname is the Yellow Jackets.

kirbee,

I thought that AJ ran the option effectively. Meaning that he is not going to out run the defense a la Super Joe, but he is good enough to have a defender have to respect him turning up field. I think that a good comparison would be Godsey pre-ACL. Andy Hall is probably a bit quicker than AJ, but definitely does not have his arm or decision making, IMO.

As long as the QB can draw a defender to him/make the defense respect him going up field, then we can be quite effective running it. I think that we will.

My fault. For some reason I was thinking that he was from Thomaston, not Thomasville. Always thought he went to East Coweta. My bad. Sorry.

Originally posted by GT98:
Techster1,

D'oh, thanks for the correction. The high school is in Thomasville, w/a diff. name., but nonetheless, firmly in the "deep South." Incidently, their nickname is the Yellow Jackets.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Exactly right.

But just to make you feel bad about your previous unforgiveable gaffe, Thomasville High is the Bulldogs.
wink.gif

The Central Yellowjackets are the premier AAAA (previously AAA) football power in the state. They won three state championships while Burns was there. One year they beat the defending top-level champion, Colquitt County, the very next year; and Colquitt was a top program that year as well.

That area turns out a ton of awesome players. Charlie Ward went to Thomas County Central, as well. I am pretty sure Shawn Jones was his high school rival at Thomasville High. Mike Bobo played a few years after Shawn Jones at Thomasville High.

Thanks GoldenTornado, I will just jump off the ledge now... (hold your cheers, please
wink.gif
). When you look at that area of the state, there are some simply phenominal players that have come out of that fertile area. Nonetheless, even if my memory failed me horribly remembering the correct school name, etc., I do think that I am right in thinking that it was one of the first big time recruits that O'leary got a committ from in that area. IIRC, FSU, Ugag and a few others were pursuing Burns, but we hung w/him as he was making the necessary scores/grades to be full qualified.

This of course, may have given Burns immunity from O'leary's doghouse when ever he made mistakes compared to Gregory and others.

I need to quit drinking as much...
grin.gif

You are right about Burns' status...He was a huge recruit for us. Especially after his huge junior year, and then having a big game his senior year in the Ga. Dome for everyone to see.

Joe Frank paved the way for Wimbush, D. Smith, Butler, and others in that area.

He was a huge recruit for us early in the O'Leary years.

Burns was a good recruit for us. He was a good back, but not a great back. He was strong, but lacked speed.

As far as his statistics are concerned, it is not how many yards you have gained, but how many yards per carry that really tells the effectiveness of a back.

Since the coaches decided to let Joe carry the ball on most every running play, it is natural, he would have a lot of yardage at the end of the year.

The telling story for our effectiveness in 02 will be our total yards gained as opposed to total yards gained in 01, and our total yards per carry in 02 versus total yards per carry in 01.

Who has the most yards is not near the telling indicator as the total yards for the entire team.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

ahso,

I don't think total yards or yards per carry indicate the "effectiveness" of a back. There are too many other variables - such as the offensive line, how the back is used, etc, etc.

I look at productivity and effort. As far as JFB goes, maybe he could have been more productive, but no one gave better effort.

GetWrecked, I do not deny Burns gave us all he had, which was a very good effort. However, Sean Gregory also gave us all he had, the coaches just did not use him as much as Burns.

I contend that Gregory would have given as much effort as Burns and gained as many yards as Burns had he been given the same opportunity. I will in no way try to take away from Burns any effort he gave to Tech.

I merely stated the reason he was the top rusher, and that is because he was given the sole job of rushing with little substitution by the coaches with the other backs that were available.

It is obvious the reason Burns had the most yardage, he was by far the leading ball carrier. Again, yards per carry by the backs is the best indicator of a backs effectiveness. Sometimes it is even harder for a back like, Gregory, Ford, etc. to have a better yds/carry because they are running behind the second line in some substitution situations.

rocketlauncher.gif

Back