Saban Rejects NIL Request

Oh please. Saban liked the status quo where he made payments like this all the time through plausibly debiable booster connections under the table at Denny's. Now anyone can do it in broad daylight so the price went up, and he's moaning that he might not have his annual reservation in the CFP.

Oh please. Saban liked the status quo where he made payments like this all the time through plausibly debiable booster connections under the table at Denny's. Now anyone can do it in broad daylight so the price went up, and he's moaning that he might not have his annual reservation in the CFP.
Yes but uga won 2 national titles in the current system of paying players out in the open and not under the table at Denny’s and Saban was the only one keeping uga from winning the title.

Yes but uga won 2 national titles in the current system of paying players out in the open and not under the table at Denny’s and Saban was the only one keeping uga from winning the title.

I blame Geoff for never doing his duty in November. NIL is only really taking root just now anyway. It took time for the money-laundering systems to come to the surface and expand their operations in scale.

Wasn’t Bryce Young supposed to have gotten a 1mil NIL deal? Was saban merely telling them ltheir requests weren’t realistic yet 1mil was realistic for Young?

Saban knows talent - he is now like a baseball GM with no salary cap but there is always a budget somewhere. Young won a Heisman and Saban saw it coming - worth it in advance. New guys - nope. Risk management. Strange new world we are in, sad to say.

Wasn’t Bryce Young supposed to have gotten a 1mil NIL deal? Was saban merely telling them ltheir requests weren’t realistic yet 1mil was realistic for Young?
Bama doesn’t have enough money to pay everyone big bucks; their collectives are nowhere near as deep as UGA, TAMU, and a few others. BAMA has to be somewhat selective compared to those schools.

He threw that out casually, as like a come to Bama recruiting pitch. That was at the onset of NIL, before players were saying pay me or I’m transferring. This things gets worse every year.

Bama doesn’t have enough money to pay everyone big bucks; their collectives are nowhere near as deep as UGA, TAMU, and a few others. BAMA has to be somewhat selective compared to those schools.
UGA? I can see aTm and Texas, but I don't see UGA outrunning Alabama by that much. There are öööö tons of wealthy Alabama boosters.

Isn't NIL supposed to be coming from businesses? What this, "I am not giving them any NIL" stuff? It is remuneration from the use of their name, image, or likeness. This has got to be cleaned up. Maybe, since the whole thing was opened up by the US Supreme Court, the NCAA is waiting for the next lawsuit to clarify it all. Or maybe they are collecting data to bring the next lawsuit. Who knows... it's an utter joke now. "College" football is officially dead.

Isn't NIL supposed to be coming from businesses? What this, "I am not giving them any NIL" stuff? It is remuneration from the use of their name, image, or likeness. This has got to be cleaned up. Maybe, since the whole thing was opened up by the US Supreme Court, the NCAA is waiting for the next lawsuit to clarify it all. Or maybe they are collecting data to bring the next lawsuit. Who knows... it's an utter joke now. "College" football is officially dead.
I like that Saban is openly admitting that coaches are managing what NIL money athletes get.

article says one of bama's current players wanted a NIL raise and for his girlfriend to be admitted to BAMA law school and for bama to comp her tuition. FFS.... saban said no.

article says one of bama's current players wanted a NIL raise and for his girlfriend to be admitted to BAMA law school and for bama to comp her tuition. FFS.... saban said no.
College is supposed to be about preparing a person for life. Asking your boss for a raise is one the tougher things you have to learn to do well in the business world.

They are cowering in fear that any new move they make will result in a lawsuit that strips away whatever power they have left.

I think what he dislikes is players now feel (with some justification) that they can negotiate or even name their price, where before in that system I'm sure whatever offer Saban made was final.

Back