Scelfo looking good at Tulane

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
For those of us who are not big Gailey fans, Tulane coach Chris Scelfo is turning out to be a pretty good coach at a tough place to be one. At 39, he has already taken Tulane to two bowls in just 4 years. We should keep an eye on Scelfo, we may need his services one day. Flame away, if it makes you feel better.
BOO

I guess 7-5 means good coaching at Tulane but not at GT? I do agree that it never hurts to keep good young coaches on the radar scope.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
For those of us who are not big Gailey fans, Tulane coach Chris Scelfo is turning out to be a pretty good coach at a tough place to be one. At 39, he has already taken Tulane to two bowls in just 4 years. We should keep an eye on Scelfo, we may need his services one day. Flame away, if it makes you feel better.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What does this mean? Flame away at what?

Tommy Bowden went undefeated as Tulane...........Success at Tulane does not appear to be much of a barometer for future success

I was really impressed by Scelfo also. Watching Tulane, you can't help but think, now THAT'S a well coached team. They played smart, no stupid penalties, and led the nation in turnover ratio, I believe.

Scelfo got his players focused on the game when they easily could have lost their focus in "paradise," and also brought the team into essentially the oppenent's home stadium, fell behind by 2 touchdowns early, and STILL was able to lead the Wave to victory. Plus, their offense actually had some creativity!

I think that seeing a team as smooth running as this can't help but lead one to comparisons of a team that can't seem to find a focus, can't seem to get motivated for the biggest game of the year, and runs a brain-dead offense seemingly happy with grind-em-out victories. I think the "flame away" comment was for the FOCers to defend their man.

Exactly. This guy has a tougher job at Tulane (comparable to Vanderbilt) than Tech, yet at a young age he has not embarrassed the Tulane fan base (49-0 vs Texas the exception), and continues to improve. A "Rising Star" that someone will hire away from Tulane at some point.
BOO

Scelfo is also a very good disciplinarian. He does not allow earrings and would not allow them to have names on jerseys until bowl game - makes them earn it. I was quite impressed with his control of his team!

Tulane lost to Army at home, and to Memphis 38-10. I would not want Scelfo if we needed a new coach. There would be better candidates, IMHO.

Back