School needs to make up their mind

I understand that. My point is these guys are counting dollars that are numbered. Also, unless GT is developing a romulan warbird...it will be cut if shtf.
Not going to get cut. It's stuff that's needed in industry or that will be needed soon. If it's not done on the cheap at universities, it will have to be done expensively at companies.

It's not archaeology or crap like that.

Appreciate the discussion, I've learned a lot! I hope we continue our trend of increasing the acadmic stature of our university and as long as we continue to play big boy athletics I wish that we woudl do whatever is possible to remain as competetive as we can given our limitations.

I am taking my son to the ACCCG game this weekend and he is really excited. He was over the uga game 5 minutes after it ended and thinks the ACCCG is a really big deal. He doesn't care/understand about the national prestige of the ACC as a football conference, Go Jackets!

I hope your son can get into GT when his time comes. Looking at this thread he better be a kid genius.

Not going to get cut. It's stuff that's needed in industry or that will be needed soon. If it's not done on the cheap at universities, it will have to be done expensively at companies.

It's not archaeology or crap like that.

That is exactly where it should be done. Thanks for pissing on arch. or history.

Thanks for specifying history, forgot about that one.

The education industry bubble is in the tuition, not so much in research.

I guess I am old school and prefer less government involvement in my life. I will now get back to raising my crops and beating the slaves.

The exceptions were decreased after flunkgate. In today's world with APR, it would make us ineligible for post-season play. The Hill logically decided, having data that we don't, that less exceptions would mean less flunking out. I've seen the argument that it was because our support system in the AA was lacking, but they simply haven't proven that it has improved to the point where additional exemptions would be warranted without increasing the chances of embarassment of NCAA sanctions.

Lack of support is not an argument, it's a grossly understated fact. These kids weren't even placed in enough courses to keep them eligible even assuming they passed all the ones they were scheduled in. Complete incompetence. And we haven't even addressed actual academic support yet!
Plus, don't assume we did proper due diligence on how bad these kids wanted to succeed and what their classroom work ethic had been.

How can we prove it has been improved without "test subjects"?

A fan of GT football, I fly in for the games.

At this point, I think we play D1 football because we always have. If you look at it objectively there's no way we would choose to involve ourselves in an activity which directly rewards schools who cater to substandard students.

D3 football is actually much more in line with what the missions of GT is.

Don't really wanna answer it huh? I believe rw1 may have solved the riddle-----the enemy really is US! Sad

Why not save yourself a few bucks and not fly in to see the substandard students that you are so sick of ? Substandard students who by the way are far far more talented in their focused area than many of our 1500 SATers. Even Harvard accepts students with somewhat lower than average academic credentials based on special and rare talents like music and even third world life experience. It's called diversity.

If our degress can be cheapened by having athletes that would have no business in school otherwise then its already happened. Letting in more 950 SAT guys instead of 1000 wouldn't change that.

No one is seriously claiming that letting in guys with lower SAT scores would devalue our degrees (although them failing out would damage the reputation of the Institute). Even adding new majors that are in line with the mission of the Institute would not be a problem. The problem is expanding Tech to become something it isn't, it shouldn't be, and it likely isn't capable of being—a comprehensive public university.

Okay, fair enough, no way of knowing if that is true or not but lets say that it is. Wasn't that the mid 80's? Our revenue sports admission standards were more lenient up until about 12 years ago. It seem like the shift to a tier oen research institute wasn't a driving factor, or having those 950 guys prior didn't seem to hurt our progress in that regard.

isn't like the entire Big 10 and Pac 12 littered with tier one research universities? Is the University of Florida or the University of Texas?

The rise in research profile and the rise in the academic profile of the undergraduate population have not moved in lock-step. The last 10-12 years have seen significant increases in the SAT scores of entering students, and with the introduction of APR, it's just too hard for exceptional admits to keep up in the classroom with these more talented students.

It was the late 80's, but really didn't hit it's stride until Clough. Tech's peer institutions are MIT, Cal. Tech, Stanford, etc. Florida, Texas, and the like don't enter into the discussion.

I am sorry but you will have to provide some more detail as to why our peer group is only small, elite private schools and why our peer group doesn't also incldue other prestigious public universities who also have strong athletic programs, many of which are more prestigious that GT.

Are you saying the BIG 10 schools and PAC 12 schools don't generate the amount of research that we do? Cal Berkely isn't a peer? Michigan or Wisconsin aren't peers? Why? I am genuinely trying to understand but it can't just be because you say it's so.

Florida I'll give you, but Texas is a peer in every sense of the word, and I think Berkeley, Michigan, and Wisconsin fit as well. I think the best list to use for comparison is the Times Higher Education (UK) World University Rankings. We're #25, tied with Texas. The FBS-playing schools head of us? Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Northwestern, Michigan, and Washington. Only one of those can still be considered a regular power in football. The others look a lot more like us: some good years, some bad years, but mostly meh.

I think another thing that goes with rankings is reputation, and we have a huge gap in that regard relative to those schools. THE's reputation rankings are here, and we're only #41. That's a pretty clear indication that we're newer to the scene of being a high-profile research university than those other institutions.

My argument and i didn't articulate it well is that not having these exceptions when we've had them for years doesn't seem to stem from anything logical. Sounds more like a political issue within the university.

It stems from the very logical fact that today's undergraduates are much more talented than those of a decade ago. Consider AE07's statement that he's not sure he could get in today, and I think he started about a decade ago. As a faculty member, about the only way we have to assess students is in comparison to their peers. There are no standard benchmarks in most disciplines. I don't grade on a curve, but I do set my scale and distribution based on what the class is capable of. My expectations for an A are fairly high and would be consistent across most colleges and universities. However, getting a C is tied much more to what a typical student in that major at that institution should be able to do. I know I'll give Cs to students at Nebraska this fall that wouldn't have gotten them at Georgia Tech, but my A students would be A students at Tech, too. As the quality of C students rises at Tech, it gets harder for student athletes who come in with the same scores as those admitted 10 or 12 years ago to make a C.

On a side note, why can't we use this more with athletes:

http://www.iac.gatech.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/certificates

Those are certificate programs, not degree programs on their own. Most likely, they would only serve to cause a student-athlete to be farther from keeping up with APR standards. I think the biggest issue with APR for Tech is that most of our students need five years to finish, and so the APR standards are asking student-athletes to graduate on time with their peers. At most other schools, there are still reasonable expectations for graduating in four years, meaning that giving a five-year path grants them some leeway.

Good. Looked at your pie chart. Don't let me speak incorrectly, I didn't add it up but just a guess is 70% is federal funding... don't you realize they are broke and all of that is borrowed money?

I understand that. My point is these guys are counting dollars that are numbered. Also, unless GT is developing a romulan warbird...it will be cut if shtf.

cyptomcat has done a good job of refuting this, but let me reiterate. Research funding to NSF and NIH (and I guess for Tech I should thrown in things like DARPA) make up a tiny portion of the federal budget, and no one is seriously proposing any significant cuts to it. The BRIC nations are pouring tons of money into research, and the federal government knows that they need to continue to support basic research to avoid losing America's place in the world. Basic research is what lays the foundation for new patents and new technological developments that make big money. The "innovators" that the public knows tend to just be taking ideas developed by academic researchers and finding a market for them. By and large, they're not capable of developing those ideas themselves. There's value in both sides of the proposition, as those who are best at doing basic research generally have no interest in the issues related to developing a product that people will buy and taking it to market, and those who are good at that stuff often can't do the basic research or don't enjoy it like they enjoy coming up with and selling products. University incubators for start-up companies (and Tech has one of the best) show how successful this method can be.

Businesses don't invest in basic research because it's largely blue skies stuff. When we set out to discover something, we often don't know if it will be useful, we want to know how or why. Some of the things discovered never find practical use, but you usually can't say at the outset "Here's where this will be useful." Even though most companies know that they couldn't innovate without discoveries from basic research, they can't draw a direct enough path for the shareholders to a return on the investment. That's where government comes in. They don't need a direct, short-term return on investment. Instead, they take a chance, as time has shown that enough discoveries will lead to commercial ventures that then produce tax revenues to continue funding basic research.

Don't really wanna answer it huh? I believe rw1 may have solved the riddle-----the enemy really is US! Sad

Why not save yourself a few bucks and not fly in to see the substandard students that you are so sick of ? Substandard students who by the way are far far more talented in their focused area than many of our 1500 SATers. Even Harvard accepts students with somewhat lower than average academic credentials based on special and rare talents like music and even third world life experience. It's called diversity.
Yes, but Harvard also ensures that they expect those students can graduate. That's all Tech is doing by setting standards for student-athlete admissions. The only people who would argue Tech student-athletes should have the same academic credentials as the typical Tech student are those who are suggesting a move to Division III. Most of us accept that exceptions are being made for student-athletes, but we also want to see that pool limited to those who can remain eligible and graduate.

Even Harvard accepts students with somewhat lower than average academic credentials based on special and rare talents like music and even third world life experience. It's called diversity.

While I agree with your basic premise, this is a weak point. Harvard will accept a borderline student based on their "hooks", but that's a case of accepting 1350 / 1600 SAT students with an average score of 1450/1600, not a case of accepting 1000/1600 SAT students with an average of 1430/1600.

The school does need to decide. There is absolutely no reason we could not dumb down one of our existing majors and drop the standards some to put the athletes in. It will have no affect on our reputation at all. This is exactly what every other school ahead of us on the top university list does to have competitive athletics. Notre Dame admits Rhodes scholars and dumb jocks side by side and nobody thinks the worse of them for it. As does Duke for bballers.

In fact, most schools that DO try to excel in athletics reap benefits overall. National championships bring students who want to be part of the experience, increase enrollment, etc.

Unless of course you think our academic competition is MIT, Cal Tech, Johns Hopkins etc. in which case your position should be to do away with athletic distractions altogether.
I dont think a less stringent degree will hurt folks who graduate from Tech.Now I am sidewalk fan for over sixty years now and cant tell what is in tech grad mind but its clear no matter where you go the jocks will prevail.We either decide to compete or we drop a level plain and simple.I am sure the lawyers and docs from Georgie and Dook and Fsu etc have no bad feeling when they see a football player scoring a td on Saturday.Lets do something and soon.

My expectations for an A are fairly high and would be consistent across most colleges and universities. However, getting a C is tied much more to what a typical student in that major at that institution should be able to do.

In my experience, all grades are tied to the school. If you fall into one of two buckets: 1) untenured or 2) don't really care about teaching (and those two buckets hit the majority of faculty at research universities), you're going to pursue the path of least resistance in your larger undergraduate lecture courses. And the path of least resistance is something like 1/4 to 1/3 A's, 1/3 to 1/2 B's, etc.

That means that at a school where the students are less capable, like U(sic)GA, the A/B cut-off (and the B/C, etc.) will require less than at a school where the general student population is more capable.

While I agree with your basic premise, this is a weak point. Harvard will accept a borderline student based on their "hooks", but that's a case of accepting 1350 / 1600 SAT students with an average score of 1450/1600, not a case of accepting 1000/1600 SAT students with an average of 1430/1600.

I saw first hand while there gtphd, that in reality it's closer to our football gap than most would think. Remember the once in, you DO get out, issue there. My weakest classmates got C's.

I am sure the lawyers and docs from Georgie and Dook and Fsu etc have no bad feeling when they see a football player scoring a td on Saturday.Lets do something and soon.

The difference that keeps being overlooked/ignored here is that Tech is not a comprehensive university, and those schools are. Adding additional majors that are outside the scope of Tech's STEM mission weakens the Tech brand. Georgia Tech does not see itself ever becoming a comprehensive state university that would offer majors in which student-athletes with lesser academic qualifications could succeed.

In my experience, all grades are tied to the school. If you fall into one of two buckets: 1) untenured or 2) don't really care about teaching (and those two buckets hit the majority of faculty at research universities), you're going to pursue the path of least resistance in your larger undergraduate lecture courses. And the path of least resistance is something like 1/4 to 1/3 A's, 1/3 to 1/2 B's, etc.

That means that at a school where the students are less capable, like U(sic)GA, the A/B cut-off (and the B/C, etc.) will require less than at a school where the general student population is more capable.

Fortunately, I'm a mathematician and we have more objective standards to use, but your statements do hold true for most other disciplines. In our service courses (Calc I, II, III, and differential equations), 1/4 A would be high at pretty much any school with an engineering program. When I taught Calc I at Tech, my grade distribution was 1/6 A, 1/4 B, 1/3 C, 1/7 D, and 1/10 F. Here at Nebraska, the standard for Calc III is 25–30% will get a C- or lower (including drops, but that's only ~3% for me). I expect that I'll have the same ~1/6 make an A (maybe a bit smaller fraction) and the rest will be Bs and Cs, probably split pretty evenly. It seems my exams have been on the harder side of average this semester, but my grade distribution on them looks a lot like what the other faculty are getting. I'm hoping this means my students rock the common final, which might make the B/C balance in my sections tilt a hair toward B over C just for consistency with the other faculty. I stand by my assertion that my A students here would be A students at Tech. They'd be on the bottom end of the A spectrum, but they'd be there. (Even the guy who has worn a U[sic]GA T-shirt to class on multiple occasions.) Definitely will give Bs to students who'd be C students at Tech and Cs to those who would be lucky to get a D, however, as that's part of keeping up with institutional norms, as you suggested.

Speaking only for myself, the people who are suggesting we give it all up or go to D-III (same thing as giving up), are people with a very narrow vision of the world in which we live. And, the suggestion that older posters here have no clue as to what being a research university entails, are simply ignert, as well as disrespectful.

No it isn't "giving up" to drop to Division III. It is recognition that football is not going to bring very many benefits to the school in 20 years and preparing for that fact.

It isn't a narrow vision. You want to help people who otherwise don't have a chance? Let's do just that. Expand our pre-enrollment summer programs. Admit more close cases from poor rural and urban communities in Georgia. And educate those individuals. Sport doesn't have to be a part of that.

Advocating that we deemphasize sport isn't something that is a narrow view of the world. It is looking at trends in football, student attendance at games, costs of football, risks of damage to our academic reputaiton if there is a scandal, and whether sport is a cost efficient way to attract the best students, faculty, and researchers. If sport is about helping the poor and needy I'm pretty sure there are more efficient ways to do that.

Most of Tech's major donors don't donate to the athletic program or because of it.

I think we need to, very quietly, fully explore whether Division III is our best option for the future. At the same time, we need to explore whether we are willing to provide the support structure so that we can take more marginal academic cases in order to produce the same quality of graduate while also winning more. Do one or the other.

But mediocrity and MULTIPLE NCAA VIOLATIONS are not acceptable.

True, however, neither does admitting you are sick of athletics. I will say though, it does explain a LOT of your posting history on this topic. And yet, you claim to be a big "fan". A fan of what exactly? You must absolutely love RICE and Duke football, huh?

Tell us andrew.......why does Tech play D-1 football? Seriously. What should the AA mission statement say vs what it actually says? This should be interesting.

Seriously? I love Georgia Tech. No amount of success or failure on the football field will alter that.

The exceptions were decreased after flunkgate. In today's world with APR, it would make us ineligible for post-season play. The Hill logically decided, having data that we don't, that less exceptions would mean less flunking out. I've seen the argument that it was because our support system in the AA was lacking, but they simply haven't proven that it has improved to the point where additional exemptions would be warranted without increasing the chances of embarassment of NCAA sanctions.

Partially true. The Athletic Department wasn't doing its job. There was very limited academic support during certain periods. And it turned out advising was inept. You could look at the player's transcripts and see that they weren't enrolling in the right courses to get a degree. That speaks for itself about the quality of the "advising."

So, in order to blame the "exceptions" rather than their own failures, we got rid of the "exceptions" AND impoved our academic support system. If you are still at GT and want to know who to talk to for proof of this, PM me, and I'll give you names. They are generally still more than happy to talk about this.

Now that we have a much stronger academic support system there are good reasons to reconsider allowing exceptions.

So, in order to blame the "exceptions" rather than their own failures, we got rid of the "exceptions" AND impoved our academic support system. .....

Now that we have a much stronger academic support system there are good reasons to reconsider allowing exceptions.
Very informative.
My opinion is that our big money supporters and AA DEMAND that our AA receive better support from the Hill/BOR or withdraw their support and we get the hell out of Div 1. With college football favoring the football factories and we going in the opposite direction with more stringent requirements and disallowance of exceptions, it will only get worse. It's crazy to continue on this path. Personally I am ok with less than 9 or 10 wins a year, but to be continually embarrassed on the field of play by out of conference opponents is completely unacceptable!

Back