Sean Gregory

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I have seen the posts regarding Burns and Young making the cuts in the pros, how about Gregory? Does someone have a list of the seniors that made the cuts, and the ones that did not. I would like to see a list if any stinger has this info. Thanks.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

ahso,
As some of us expected, Joe Frank Burns made the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent. Pretty 'damne' impressive!! Congrats to Joe.

Unfortunately, Sean Gregory was cut fairly early in the process, from the Baltimore Ravens.

Maybe this will finally quite people on O'Leary's decision to consistently play Burns over Gregory. It seems Tech fans whine about alot of things and this was one of the more scrutinized subjects. There is alot more to a back that just speed, and Burns was a complete back (blocking, catching, running, work ethic). I think making an NFL team is a good testament to that.

thefinger.gif

Ahso, I remember reading a few days ago the Chris Young was cut by Denver, but then re-signed to the practice squad. He may make the team in the future or next season though.

33, I don't think most of us were upset at Burns playing over Gregory, just that Sean hardly ever got playing time. It was a problem mainly because Joe had to run the ball so much, as well as block, etc., and he got tired by the end of the game. He wasn't prone to fumbles except in those situations where he was tired. Gregory was a quality back and deserved to get some playing time.

While I agree it is good to rotate backs I have to disagree that Burns got tired. In fact it was reported many times that he got better as games went on. Classic example are UNC and Syracuse where he single handidly sealed the games for us by busting big runs in the 4th. I don't ever recall him fumbing in the last quarters except for MD....but he also fumbled on the opening play in that game....

I guess my point was is that I support O'Learys decision to use Burns....and he did rotate with Siney a bit. But Gregory's fate was sealed when he fumbled on our 5 yard line at NC St.

Another point is that GT fans (especially on the Hive) do whine alot...and this was even pointed out on the Uconn board. The more I look at it the more its true. It is unbelievable that we are in the midst of a $70 million renovation yet people are picking at this and picking at that. Or the colors aren't right or yadda yadda. It sounds like a bunch of little schoolgirls and that is one reason I have cut my posting on the Hive to a minimum. I hope this board doesn't become a debate for colors and band location.....

Our running game was hampered last year because Godsey was playing one-legged. He could not run and he could not even fake the option at all because the defense wasn't buying into it. We really didn't have any production at fullback either. So the tailback was a marked man on every play. Therefore, we had to play our toughest, most dependable, most durable back...and that was Joe Frank Burns. Under the circumstances, he did an outstanding job. Sean Gregory and the other backs are good backs but they couldn't hold up to punishment of the inside running that Burns did. And there wasn't much outside running due to being keyed on by the defense so much.
Bottom line...Burns was the best back we had last year...if he had come back this year he would be the best back we have this year too...but with a more mobile QB he wouldn't be such a marked man and therefore he probably would have played some tailback and some fullback and we would probably rotate more and keep everyone fresh. This is a moot point since against all odds Joe Frank Burns made the Buffalo Bills as a free agent. Impressive as hell and a big surprise to the Burns detractors on here.

drinking.gif
to Burns success.

Burns was very good at GT and I am not surprised that he mad the Bills roster. On the subject of Gregory, 33jacket points out correctly that Sean went in O'Leary's dog house after the fumle against NC State in 2000 and basically never came out. Beeware points out correctly that Burns was our best back last year and therefore should and did get most of the carries. What he failed to point out was that Gregory could have given Burns a rest for a couple of series a game and made both Joe and the GT offense more productive as Gregory was a proven running back and certainly could have withstood the "pounding" for a couple of series every game

One of the few and the far between reasons I'm glad O'Leary is gone. His pot was cracked!+ When George ran out of clues he became abusive.

Originally posted by 83jacket:
Burns was very good at GT and I am not surprised that he mad the Bills roster. On the subject of Gregory, 33jacket points out correctly that Sean went in O'Leary's dog house after the fumle against NC State in 2000 and basically never came out. Beeware points out correctly that Burns was our best back last year and therefore should and did get most of the carries. What he failed to point out was that Gregory could have given Burns a rest for a couple of series a game and made both Joe and the GT offense more productive as Gregory was a proven running back and certainly could have withstood the "pounding" for a couple of series every game
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Best post in the thread... bottom line is JFB was our best back but he was overused. I have a favorite shirt too, but I don't wear it every freakin' day!!@!!

Back