Second year coaches

It will be hard to score 21 on UGA. They have the #2 Defense in the country. Scoring less on them does not mean your O stinks. The offense will need to keep their composure in that game and take what they are given. I hope they don't get frustrated early and try to force something.

I agree on the others. We need to be able to score on UVA in particular.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia. If Coach Chandler Gailey's offense can muster 21 points a game for these four remaining games we should win all four because of Jon Tenuta's defense. It will be extremely disappointing if we can't. Coach Gailey's offense has to began to resemble something respectable at this late stage in the season. This is what all the pro Coach Gailey people on this board have said sinse before the season began and that time has arrived. The offense has to step up!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">StateLine...you crack me up. I could care less what our offense or defensive production is...all I care about is that we have more points than our opponents each Saturday (and sometimes Thursday). Yes...our OL is our weak link...but we are doing a great job with a walk-on TB, true freshman QB, and only one go-to WR.

What you, and only a few others at this point, fail to realize is that he provides LEADERSHIP and CHARACTER for the kids. They absolutely love playing for him...and this is EVIDENT. No matter how good the assistants are...if the HC does not have the respect of the team, they will not win football games.

While I agree that it's all about wins and the number of points we score doesn't really matter in the end, I also have to agree with stateline that it's time for our offense to begin to take some of the burden off the defense. We have begun to move the ball a little better IMO but we still have too many breakdowns that stop drives and/or force FGs.

We need to start seeing some consistency. If we're going to grind it out that means no penalties to kill drives, no TOs, and more dominance from the OL. If we can't do that we need to begin to hit some big plays to get the quick scores or at least get un into position. Especially after the layoff and the extra time to work on things I expect to see improvement on the offensive side.

It is certainly nice to have a successful record and CG has proven to be capable of putting together a winner.However there is a some truth in what BW says in that there was some real talent here when he came in and the program was not in shambles as some places are.CG caused some of his own problems but has now shown that he is ahead of the curve by the last few wins.
This Duke game is another step and challenge in that we play a desperate opponent with a energized coaching staff with a very exp team.We are also may be stale/rusty from the lay-off(see Wake in our game).All of these adjustments CG needs to consider.A win is another feather is his cap to prove again he is "ahead of the curve".
btw-Next yr he will again have to prove that he can win with HIS players(either recruited or did the majority of the coaching in their careers) mostly as several of the best individuals in the Tech history will be gone(Fred S,D Smith,and the KEY).Don't even begin to think they will be replaced easily.
Success is an evolving process and certainly not without problems.Just hope it continues.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
We need to start seeing some consistency. If we're going to grind it out that means no penalties to kill drives, no TOs, and more dominance from the OL. If we can't do that we need to begin to hit some big plays to get the quick scores or at least get un into position. Especially after the layoff and the extra time to work on things I expect to see improvement on the offensive side.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncjacket, I too would like to see some more consistency but I think the one thing that Coach Gailey has been preaching to the team is not to make mistakes. Right now, given our defense, that's been a strategy we've been able to take on offense and really with a true frosh QB, suspect OL (they have great moments and not so great moments), and lack of much depth at tailback what more can you do. We just want to try and give the defense some rest every now and then, give them a few point with which to work, and not give the ball to the opposing offense in good field position for them too often.

I think that if our OL plays more consistently you'll see more offensive production and I use the Wake game as evidence of that. In games where they haven't really performed up to their abilities our offense hasn't gotten a lot of production and you just have to put your TEAM in the best position to win. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know and I also know you aren't bashing Chan at all.

I just think that when Coach Gailey feels we can open up things more and do it more consistently he will.

Back