Seems there is one thing we are getting right

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Just checking national stats and we are tied with Alabama for #6 in creating turnovers with 16 for the year.

The interesting breakout of this is that of the 6 teams tied/better, those teams' defensive turnovers are tilted to either fumbles or interceptions whereas ours are the most balanced (7 fumbles and 9 interceptions).

Of the 6 teams tied/better, 4 have played 2 cupcakes, 1 played 3 cupcakes and 1 (Florida) only played 1 cupcake.

And one other random observation. Through 7 games, we have forced at least one turnover per game. We have not done that in the last 10 seasons.

Yeah, we have issues and problems but this is very encouraging. Imagine if we could just stop turning the ball over.

Last edited:
Just checking national stats and we are tied with Alabama for #6 in creating turnovers with 16 for the year.

The interesting breakout of this is that of the 6 teams tied/better, those teams' defensive turnovers are tilted to either fumbles or interceptions whereas ours are the most balanced (7 fumbles and 9 interceptions).

Of the 6 teams tied/better, 4 have played 2 cupcakes, 1 played 3 cupcakes and 1 (Florida) only played 1 cupcake.

Yeah, we have issues and problems but this is very encouraging. Imagine if we could just stop turning the ball over.

Florida played Tennessee therefore 3 cupcakes (they are worth one per half). 6 turnovers in that game.

Florida played Tennessee therefore 3 cupcakes (they are worth one per half). 6 turnovers in that game.
Considering that against West Virginia, Auburn and UGa combined Tennessee only had one turnover, I'll give Florida credit for the 6 they forced from the Vols.

We only forced 10 all of last year. 16 is ööööing awesome, and we'd be coasting to an ACC title if our offense resembled the pre-2015 CPJ offenses. I gotta say, I never expected to see this while CPJ was at GT.
Defense is too good during practice and it’s hurting the offense’s ability to prepare for other teams. Amirite?

And one other random observation. Through 7 games, we have forced at least one turnover per game. We have not done that in the last 10 seasons.

Yeah, we have issues and problems but this is very encouraging. Imagine if we could fly like Superman.

We have moved from the bend, bend, bend, bend, break defense to the bend, bend, bend force a turnover defense. I wish we would bend less but at least we are getting the ball back for the O.

I have been impressed with the defense since the Bowling Green game... still plenty of mistakes going on, but the more aggressive scheme is resulting in more sacks and turnovers. They got a bit of a tough hand against Duke on Saturday. I like where Woody is going with the defense.... just not sure how much longer he will be here.

We only forced 10 all of last year. 16 is ööööing awesome, and we'd be coasting to an ACC title if our offense resembled the pre-2015 CPJ offenses. I gotta say, I never expected to see this while CPJ was at GT.
Just for reference purposes, we forced 29 turnovers in 2014 (avg of 2.1 per game - this year, we are averaging 2.3 per game). Even more interesting is that our margin this year (0.57) is nearly the same as it was in 2014 (0.79).

Just for reference purposes, we forced 29 turnovers in 2014 (avg of 2.1 per game - this year, we are averaging 2.3 per game). Even more interesting is that our margin this year (0.57) is nearly the same as it was in 2014 (0.79).
That is a perfect defensive fit to go with our offense. When we're scoring almost every possession and limiting our opponents' opportunities, turnovers are backbreakers for them. Against BG and UL when our offense was humming, those turnovers were huge. Against Duke, we just ended up punting it back, so it wasn't a big deal.

Pre-2015 is all good? This smells of revisionist history. There were some very ööööty years mixed in there between 2010-2014 where we lacked playmakers.

How many times have we said in the past decade, if only CPJ could get a defensive coordinator that was decent, we'd be a perpetual Top 10 team?

I guess we fans aren't as smart as we think we are.

How many times have we said in the past decade, if only CPJ could get a defensive coordinator that was decent, we'd be a perpetual Top 10 team?

I guess we fans aren't as smart as we think we are.
I did another check and determined that we are giving up around 7 more points per game than we have in recent previous seasons (limited to FBS teams - cupcakes excluded). Also, our defense is allowing a third down conversion rate of 53% to FBS opponents - that is putrid.

So I'm not ready to say our Defense is solid in all aspects of the game. It took Woody 2 seasons to get it going at App St.

Pre-2015 is all good? This smells of revisionist history. There were some very ööööty years mixed in there between 2010-2014 where we lacked playmakers.
Offensive Efficiency rankings (according to Football Oustiders)

2010: 64
2011: 16
2012: 11
2013: 39
2014: 3

We were bad in 2010 when Tevin was thrust into the starting role, and then kinda meh in 2013 when Vad started, but for the most part we were pretty damn good on offense.

2012 was not a good season, but look at how many points we allowed in our losses:
@VT 20-17
Miami 42-36
MTSU 49-28
@Clemson 47-31
BYU 41-17
@UGA 42-10
FSU 21-15

We scored 36, 28,and 31 points in games that we LOST. If our current defense played in 2012, we win 9 games easily.

I did another check and determined that we are giving up around 7 more points per game than we have in recent previous seasons (limited to FBS teams - cupcakes excluded). Also, our defense is allowing a third down conversion rate of 53% to FBS opponents - that is putrid.

So I'm not ready to say our Defense is solid in all aspects of the game. It took Woody 2 seasons to get it going at App St.
No, it's not solid, but turnovers by the O kicks up that PPG figure.

Also, our defense is allowing a third down conversion rate of 53% to FBS opponents - that is putrid.

I don't dispute this number - I've looked up at the in-game stats in a few games this year and been appalled at the opponents 3rd down percentage. Somehow, though, third down doesn't FEEL as hopeless this year. Maybe I've just gotten so used to us giving up conversions that my soul has finally died, but I don't recall sitting in the stands and feeling quite so helpless on 3rd downs this year, despite the statistical evidence.

JRjr

I don't dispute this number - I've looked up at the in-game stats in a few games this year and been appalled at the opponents 3rd down percentage. Somehow, though, third down doesn't FEEL as hopeless this year. Maybe I've just gotten so used to us giving up conversions that my soul has finally died, but I don't recall sitting in the stands and feeling quite so helpless on 3rd downs this year, despite the statistical evidence.

JRjr
My daughter used to say when the other team had the ball, up until this season, "3rd and 15, they got us just where they want us" just before a 15+ yard completion

My daughter used to say when the other team had the ball, up until this season, "3rd and 15, they got us just where they want us" just before a 15+ yard completion

Yes, exactly this.

JRjr

Back