Serena showing her ass at the open

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by savbandjacket, Sep 8, 2018.

1. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    Players say that all coaches coach from the box. Why doesn't the official call violations on more of them? I watched a lot of the Open, and I didn't see any violations called other than this one.

As I said, her reaction was uncalled for. But McEnroe was a brat and lots of people loved it.

Serena's fellow tennis players were pretty solidly on her side in this thing. And they have more skin in the game than you or I so I'd defer to their opinion about what's appropriate and not appropriate when it comes to the official.

2. andrew

andrew Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This particular official is known for calling coaching violations. As for why he doesn't call even more of them, I don't know. I guess it's like how there's holding on every play in football; you only call the more egregious ones.

Here is a good article on the umpire and his history: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/sports/tennis/serena-williams-umpire-carlos-ramos-us-open.html

As for the tennis players being on her side, you'd have to be an absolute fool to publicly come out and say Serena is in the wrong here; you'd get castigated. The most you will find is people hedging on it, such as in this article: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...ers-try-to-stay-out-williams-controversy.html

Though I will agree there are plenty of players who are certainly on her side.

3. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Good stuff. Here's an article on Ramos. Nadal has felt that Ramos is hard on him over the years, and they don't come much better than Rafa when it comes to class and respect.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/09/carlos-ramos-serena-williams-tennis-umpire-us-open

4. andrew

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah. It seems like this guy is a very tough umpire, to the point where he is out of line with almost all of the other umpires, which is not good.

He behaved towards Serena as he has towards several other players. Most of the other players grumbled, or maybe said something after the match, but Serena basically melted down, and because she's a black woman she became a hero and the umpire a symbol of sexism.

I also place some fault on the tennis association, because if the rule is so bad that umpires are considered unduly harsh for enforcing it, it shouldn't be a rule.

There's how I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

As I said early in the thread, lots of pressure on her to get that 24th major. And she's definitely in the McEnroe mold when it comes to emotions.

If this were McEnroe, he would've reacted the same way for certain. Or in today's set of pros, Krygios.

6. GT76

GT76 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Georgia
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets! To Hell With georgia!!
    The difference being with McEnroe he would not have taken it to an emotional level with tears and cries of sexism.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andrew

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If McEnroe were around today, his behavior wouldn't be tolerated. Different time.

Yes, similar to Krygios. I believe this umpire would have handled him the same as he handled Serena. Unlike the other idiot who actually got down from the chair to give him a pep talk. In my mind, that ump should have been out for the tournament AND the match should have been replayed.

8. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    The sexism is specifically because she feels that women are treated differently than men on the court. With this guy I don’t think that’s the case though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Also, someone would have said "McEnroe showed his ass" and nobody would feel the need to disagree and make excuses.

10. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Perhaps this referee acted consistently with his usual behavior, but looking at the coaches boxes to monitor them and give the warning is not consistent with the usual behavior of the persons in the chair at most grand slam finals. Cameras catch coaches reacting to matches in ways that could send signals to players all the time. She was down a set and struggling and did not appreciate the timing of this very rare warning on coaching. So, she went off. Those coaches don’t sit through hour long matches near the court for no reason. I think it’s ridiculous that coaches can’t speak to players during breaks, or at least between sets. You can approach players during breaks in high school and college tennis.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  11. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I'd rather see her open her ass at a show

12. BigChooch0405

BigChooch0405 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Team:
    Georgia Tech (NCAA) Falcons (NFL)
    Hard pass my man

[​IMG]

13. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Its an individual sport. Overcoaching has ruined most sports already.

College football for one is awful. The OC reads the defense then audibles in a play like hes playing Xbox. So overwhelmingly takes away the mental aspects of the athletes and turns them into meat robots.

14. DressCheeseSideSeaboard

DressCheeseSideSeaboard Cyborg

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    I’m your mom’s meat robot.

15. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    She's won 23 grand slams; but if she cheated it kinda makes her the Lance Armstrong of women's tennis.

16. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Yeah if you can prove she was roided up I'd say strip all her titles! But they are all subject to random testing and she's never failed a test as far as I know.

And coaching is generally allowed in Women's tennis, except for some of the majors I guess.

17. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Does this roid rage fit count as proof?

18. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Hormone rage I'd say.

19. rsmith88

rsmith88 circular worm

Loc:
    your mind
    Team:
    GT
  20. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Billy Jean King has walked back here support too, she still supports the assertion that women are treated differently; but doesn't support Serena's actions as strongly.

Umpires are also threatening to boycott Serena's future matches:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...hes-after-outburst-at-us-open-final-fwgv97swz