Sidewalk Fan / Alum

Sidewalk Fan / Alum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have nothing but the utmost respect for sidewalk fans. You could've gotten off this crazy train anytime you wanted, and you didn't. I'm pot-committed at this point. If I wanted a new team, I'd have to go to grad school. I'm too damn old to go to grad school. So while I secretly moonlight and bandwagon for the mini-powerhouses of the college football world (I have some affinity for TCU these days), my wagons will forever be hitched to Georgia Tech as we make our way through the good, the bad, and the Collins. Long story short, mad respect.... And glad to have you.

My grandfather actually had football offers for UGA and UF, but chose the Marines. I actually have a ceramic UGA statue with my last name on the jersey which is pretty cool, but he rooted for the Jackets.

Sidewalk.
Grandfather had buddies on the 1952 team. Dad was alumni. Basketball and Football season ticket holders. My SAT scores were not up to par. Went to Southern but drove home on weekends to go to the games with my family.

Sidewalk:

Been a GT fan my entire life (GT65). Dad took me to my first game in 1966 when I was 14 months old, so I attended a game coached by Bobby Dodd. Dad was an O’Keefe alum and grew up a Tech fan, sold programs at Grant Field as a kid, he and mom went to many Tech games, home and away, until I was born and parenthood became the priority over Saturday afternoons on the Flats. We later had three-game packs/season tickets starting with the O’Leary years through his passing in 2013. I still have our tickets with various friends filling his aisle seat in 222.

I applied to, and was accepted to, both GT and UGA. Without going into it, I ended up graduating from UGA (UGA89) with degrees in Mathematics and Statistics. Obviously I never became a UGA fan and in my entire four years there I sat in the student section with my friends/roommates hoping they would lose every game.

Sidewalk fan since 1997, I was 10. Everyone I knew was a Georgia fan. Watching that year's Georgia game, for whatever reason, I think it just dawned on me that I was simply better than all those people. Some of them were 40+ year old men and I'd seen them barking like animals, and with sincerity. Realizing that I was not like those guys and never could be, I signaled this to the universe during that game by choosing and cheering for Tech.

And we ööööing lost. But then we won three straight and by the time we knocked the silver off their britches in 2000, I had decided I was going to Tech after graduating high school in 2005. My dad and I got season tickets every year starting in 2003. 2005 came and I realized I forgot to be an excellent student for like 3 years, largely because I was too busy playing and obsessing over Tech dynasties in the NCAA games, or reading season preview magazines or whatever the öööö.

I just kept buying season tickets and nobody stopped me, so I rather ecstatically endured the Gailey era both at Grant Field and on StingTalk. In 2008, Gailey was gone, Johnson arrived, and I discovered drugs. That's the last thing I remember.

Sidewalk fan. I grew up about 15 minutes from the campus, and got to go to a few Tech games while in high school. I've always been a bit of a computer/electronics nerd, and just affiliated more with the GT crowd. Never cared for UGAg (call it instinct, I guess). My son was accepted at Tech in 2020, but decided to attend college elsewhere. But he is still a big Tech fan also, as he attended numerous games with me through the years.

Back