So how long will it take...

Discussion in 'Football' started by oldgold68, Jan 10, 2019.

1. oldgold68

oldgold68 Bitter old man

Loc:
    Living in the past
    Team:
    GT
    to develop players on the OL and DL big enough to match up with our opponents. Clemson and GA may be extremes, but I remember how disheartening it was that we were about 70-80 lighter than them on the LOS. I put on about 65 lbs once and I would have dropped dead if I ran 5 yards. Not going to be a quick turn, but realistically, are we talking about a year, 2 years or how long?

2. whenyousaybud

whenyousaybud Bill Donaldson IRL @ me and taste steel

Loc:
    Suspended
    Team:
    Your Mom
    one-two weeks max. There's a new sheriff in town!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. GTCrew4b

GTCrew4b Get That Corn Outta Ma Face

Loc:
    Local Cafés
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We don’t give up 70-80 pounds to any D lines that I’m aware of. We are at worst 20# light on O Line.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ibeeballin

ibeeballin Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A-town
    Team:
    gt
    The hyperbole is strong amongst our fan base.

70-80lbs lol. That would mean our OLineman/DL avg 220lbs

• Like Like x 2
  5. oldgold68

oldgold68 Bitter old man

Loc:
    Living in the past
    Team:
    GT
    My bad, but how many teams are we playing that have (220 + 70 lb) linemen these days?

6. oldgold68

oldgold68 Bitter old man

Loc:
    Living in the past
    Team:
    GT
    Good, so one holiday season gets us there on the OL. Things are looking up!

7. JackD

JackD Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I haven't checked, but I'd guess the average OL of our ACC oponents is around 320/330 while ours are in the 280/290 range. It's not definitely not a 70 lb difference, but it's significant. Your question is still valid in the sense that the players currently on our roster likely can't add the weight without losing a step or two.

I'd say by 2020 we should be good to go on the LOS.

8. oldgold68

oldgold68 Bitter old man

Loc:
    Living in the past
    Team:
    GT
    Thank you for your considerate response. Those numbers are more reasonable than mine. One game I heard was our DL at 274, their OL was 347, hence my apparently ridiculous number of 70-80. I think that was for the dawgs. Then, there was the 400 lb OT from MN vs our 270 lb DE (another aberration). I do agree two years + recruiting some size. At least our linemen do tend to have good length and can carry some more weight. One of our coaches told me they look for wide butts and quick feet. Sounds a lot like my first wife, but she used up her eligibilty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ncjacket

ncjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We need to get bigger but are not quite as far behind as some believe. Clemson’s OL was 307,320,306,320,290 for example. Depending on who we played we were lighter but have a number of guys in that range. Quinney I particular needs to beef up though.

10. olgoldandwhite

olgoldandwhite Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Georgia
    I’m more worried about the DL than the OL. That’s been our Achilles heel for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flywheel

Flywheel What year is it?

Loc:
    Tau Ceti
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I suspect finding a left tackle will be the most immediate need. Everything else we can adapt pretty quickly, especially on defense since Nate's scheme only lasted 1 year. Guards generally get recruiting for drive blocking, and we wanted that too under CPJ. Pass blocking and creating a pocket, however, have been de-emphasized for years in favor of tackles more like guards that can get to the 2nd level and hit a linebacker on runs. More than you would see with other teams, DEs went unblocked and taken out via option reads and rollouts. That's all changing now.

We could land a 5* QB today, and it wouldn't matter if he runs for his life on every snap (not that such would necessarily happen). Were I on the staff, I would call tackles already committed elsewhere and talk about immediate playing time.

12. ibeeballin

ibeeballin Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A-town
    Team:
    gt
    Little ol GT:
    LT: 276
    LG: 280
    C: 307
    RG: 325
    RT: 282

Avg: 294lbs
    Sub in Grad Transfer at RT avg is 300.6

Pitt:
    LT- 280
    LG- 310
    C- 300
    RG- 300
    RT-310

Avg: 300lbs

Louisville
    LT- 357
    LG-328
    C- 318
    RG- 328
    RT-301

Avg 326.4lbs

Duke

LT- 295
    LG- 285
    C- 300
    RG- 310
    RT- 310

Avg: 300lbs

VT

LT- 297
    LG- 310
    C- 302
    RG- 308
    RT- 324

Avg 308

UNC

LT- 300
    LG- 300
    C- 295
    RG- 330
    RT- 300

Avg: 305lbs

Miami

LT- 313
    LG- 305
    C- 300
    RG- 300
    RT- 300

Avg: 303.6lbs

UVA
    LT- 290
    LG- 315
    C- 305
    RG- 315
    RT- 308

Avg: 306.6

• Like Like x 10
  13. FatJacket

FatJacket Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    North Avenue
    Team:
    Jackets
    All of them, Idiot!

• Dislike Dislike x 4
  14. johncu

johncu Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greenville, SC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't think our OL is a problem at all, honestly. Other than Quinney at LT being pretty light, we're about the same as our competition. And since CPJ prioritized mobility, we'll be set up pretty well to run the spread anyway. Without wide splits and a forward-leaning stance, we'll look COMPLETELY different in pass protection.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ibeeballin

ibeeballin Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A-town
    Team:
    gt
    Shhh.... that doesn’t fit the narrative of CPJ recruiting small lineman no other schools wanted

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  16. GTCrew4b

GTCrew4b Get That Corn Outta Ma Face

Loc:
    Local Cafés
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    As far as the d line is concerned I have strong faith that Collins will bring in a difference maker very soon. Throughout college football you see true freshman making an impact at the D Line positions.

We have just missed on several of those throughout CPJ’s tenure who I think were swayed by the option practice myth, lack of NFL focus, and SEC-ness. I think the new staf changes a lot of perception on those fronts and we land a STUD D linemen relatively soon. It really just takes 1 guy to demand a double team to take a line from adequate to good. Two or more and you have a great line.

I say within 2 seasons we will see significant improvement on the lines to make us comepetetive with our rivals. I think our scheme will emphasize secondary and LB speed and attacking as that is where we can really shine in recruiting and how we were successful in the past on defense.

17. OmnipoTech

OmnipoTech Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Just curious, is there a reason you didn't put the grad transfer at LT to increase our average a little more? Or is Quinney the better of the two so you are expecting him to get the start?

I think there are a few other guys who haven't been starters or played much that are heavier than some of the starters and could move up the depth chart under the new system, so its not a huge concern to me.

18. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    But, but, but their 300 pounders are 70lb heavier than our 300 pounders.

• Like Like x 4
  19. ibeeballin

ibeeballin Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A-town
    Team:
    gt
    Bc the Grad Transfer is a RT. I don’t see anyone beating out our returning 4 starters

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You think we'll have more rotation on the OL than previously to get him and some other fresh bodies in?