Softball Team is terrible!

Discussion in 'Other GT Sports' started by The Gus, May 11, 2018.

1. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I watched the "Softball Tournament" game (12 fans in attendance - more UNC Fans than GT Fans in Atlanta per usual) on ACC Network until I saw the single most stupid bonehead play in the history of planet earth.

With 2 outs and a runner on third base for UNC (3rd inning) - the GT pitcher walked a UNC player. As she got to 1st base she decided to run to second and the GT pitcher most stupidly threw to 2nd to get her. The UNC runner stopped because the runner on 3rd took off for home and scored and then the runner took 2nd base. Of course, she then scored on a single to put UNC up 2-1.

Tech then proceeded to not get another hit for the rest of the game and wound up losing 6-1.

Women's Softball is by far and away the most horrible sport in all of the meaningless college sports that are played. Why is there always a pitcher who weighs 500 lbs.? Girls get a "scholarship" for this. The worst beer-bellied 75-year or older men's softball team would destroy a college girls softball team. Plus why does every single left-handed batter start running to first base and is half-way there - then they swing the bat. Just soooooooooooooooooooooo pathetic.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
  2. cyclejacket

cyclejacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Gainesville, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech, Alabama
    Careful there, sportsbroad is going to get triggered again .

• Like Like x 5
  3. andrew

andrew Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Softball is one of the most enjoyable women's sports to watch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Softball pitchers seem to be on one end of the spectrum or the other. There are some real cute softball pitchers.

But yeah. It the sports equivalent of a coma.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wrecked

Wrecked Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Ellicott City, MD
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You are an idiot. I can only hope your post was tongue in cheek as Tech softball was the most improved program in our AA. Tell one of your beer league 75 year olds to hit a 70 mph pitch on a softball field. My bet is he can't even foul it off. And yes the women get scholarships, my daughter hopes to be one of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. ClydeBrick

ClydeBrick All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia f-ing Tech
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    Beach volleyball es numero uno.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dhatura

Dhatura Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    ?
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Why are you even a Tech fan you miserable POS?

• Like Like x 5
  9. eneq

eneq Junior Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    The 'Saw
    Team:
    GT
    Did anyone else ever watch that Pros vs Joe's show? There was an episode where the contestants had to hit a pitch off Jennie Finch, the famous US softball pitcher, and no one even made contact.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Were they people off the street or ex-all-star high school baseball players? Cause the bulk of guys playing softball past 40 were really ööööing good baseball players.

Then we have to discuss the dropoff to college girls. The dropoff is much more intense in womens sports.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CornerBlitz

CornerBlitz Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Marietta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    This x2. These girls at all levels can play and are fun to watch and coach. I’ve seen that play messed up a bunch in both baseball and softball. It’s confusing if not properly practiced.

Sticking your chest out while hitting a slow pitch softball 350-feet with a $500 juiced-up titanium bat does not make one an athlete. These types are everywhere and probably didn’t make their high school JV teams moreover could hit a Division 1 fastpitch pitcher.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  12. vapspwi

vapspwi Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Fayetteville, GA
    Hitting fast pitches is the one thing that impresses me about watching softball - I almost certainly couldn't do it. But I've gotta say, watching them play the field is kind of like watching a little league game.

A few years back, my office had student assistant who played softball at Agnes Scott (like D-III or something). I went to see her play, and it was even worse there - the outfielders actually looked scared of the ball.

It's bizarre to me that they're athletic enough to hit those fastballs, but then look so awkward at playing the field.

JRjr

13. ClydeBrick

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia f-ing Tech
    Can't speak to why those outfielders looked like that, but the infield on a softball field is much smaller than a baseball field. There is much less time to react to a hit ball and the baserunners only have to cover 60 feet. So it is my opinion that "awkward" infield play is probably a symptom of the shorter reaction time the players have.

• Like Like x 2
  14. vapspwi

vapspwi Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Fayetteville, GA
    Yeah, but it’s not like they’re hitting the ball all that hard, either...

Serious question - is there something different about college balls or bats that really cuts power? They play on a little league-sized field and rarely seem to get the ball deep into the outfield. It seems like if you can connect with a 70 mph pitch, you ought to be able to smoke one into the gap once in a while.

JRjr

15. asharp12587

asharp12587 Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    They've been bad ever since the players got the last coach fired for sleeping with the umps and other officials.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. ClydeBrick

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia f-ing Tech
    The girls are hitting a ball that is 50% larger than a baseball and weighs 30% more. Additionally, the ball is hollow plastic not a solid winding. And yes, the ball and the bats are engineered to ensure that the 220' fields do not become obsolete and so the players have enough reaction time.

And they are girls.

• Like Like x 1
  17. vapspwi

vapspwi Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Fayetteville, GA
    Yeah, I’ve hit both men’s and women’s softballs in like rec league games, so I know what those are like. My semi-athletic-at-best self can hit a men’s ball 250’ or whatever.

Seems like if you put an average rec league team on Mewborn Field, balls would fly out of there. Are college balls and bats different by regulation from what people use in regular softball? (I still use a $10 aluminum bat I bought in 1989.) Or is it just fast pitch vs slow pitch that results in so many short popups?

JRjr

• Like Like x 1
  18. ClydeBrick

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia f-ing Tech
    When you say "average rec team" I assume you mean adult slowpitch softball. Playing that game on a fastpitch field would be crazy - even with D & E players.

As I am sure you know, when bat "technology" became a thing 25 or so years ago, and especially the advent of composites, the national sanctioning bodies started to tone down both bats and balls. The basic limitations are the same in fastpitch for youth & rec and the NCAA.

You would think that with the additional energy in a fast-pitched ball that batters would be able to use that to drive the ball harder, but it has been my observation that the slow-pitched ball allows a batter greater opportunity to hit the ball with greater precision more often. Witness the fat guys on ESPN2 crushing a slowpitch softball 350+ feet, albeit with outlaw bats and 50 COR high compression balls.

The 43' (really more like 38' upon release) pitching distance and 65MPH+ speeds on fastpitch really limits the reaction time so hitting the ball squarely happens less often than in slowpitch. Groundballs and popups will definitely be more likely in fastpitch, thus the reliance on small ball via slapping and bunting by weaker hitters.

Or, if GT batters are poping up excessively, then possibly the TO is hindering softball recruiting too . . .

• Like Like x 1
  19. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    We used to use that field for practice back in the early 80s, well before it was a parking lot and then the softball field. We set home plate on the corner closest to the tit near 8th and away from Fowler. So as a lefty I was hitting toward Fowler. Used to be big trees there, and I crushed a few well up into the trees, wouldn't definitely crossed Fowler and into the football practice field if not for them. So yeah, the women's field would be no match for men's slowpitch.

• Like Like x 1