Some perspective from a Hokie

gotech79

Varsity Lurker
Following your victory over Auburn, and our victory over NC State, my eyes immediately focused on this game. I looked at both our schedules, and knew it was very likely that we'd both be undefeated. So, here we are ... Tech vs Tech ... both 3-0.

One can successfully argue that we (Virginia Tech) have played an easier than you. Given the complete obliteration of Duke & Ohio, and given the fact that you have played 3 bowl teams, I would probably agree with that assessment. However, I think our schedule (to this point), works to our advantage. There is no doubt in my mind that NC State will have been our toughest conference road game of the season. We were not fundamentally great at State, yet we still made the right plays to win the game. Their defense is one of the strongest in the ACC, and their offense looked light years better than it did last year. If they stop killing themselves with penalties, I think NC State will challenge FSU and Clemson for their division. Having a come-from-behind victory on the road for our first game builds confidence and character.

So, what did the Duke and Ohio victories do for us? Well, not to be disrespectful to those programs, but they gave us the opportunity to get game-time reps without the possibility of losing. The mistackles we saw at NC State have disappeared, and the offense is starting to gel.

Having not watched Georgia Tech since Auburn, I can't really comment on what your schedule has done for you. Has it banged you up? Perhaps. But it's obviously confidence and character building to have beaten three bowl teams in a row. The Auburn victory was awesome! I was cheering the Jackets on during that game. Although, they were not the same Auburn team we saw in last year's Sugar Bowl. Their defense is still very good, but their offense looked impotent compared to last year. That said, it was still a great victory for you.

So, what can you expect at Virginia Tech tomorrow?

<ul type="square">
[*] A packed house. Lane Stadium is an awesome place to watch football. It's going to be absolutely rocking with ESPN College Gameday and two top 15 programs facing off.
[*] A stout defense. I think the Hokie D will be the toughest defense you will see this year. We are very good up front, with a set of athletic linebackers that will only get better as the season progresses. The only real question mark is the secondary. Jimmy Williams is the only returning starter in our secondary. However, Roland Minor (the other corner) and Aaron Rouse (one of the safeties) are both off to good starts. Don't read too much into the fact that we converted a running back into a safety. The biggest reason why that occurred is our depth at running back.
[*] A less conservative offense. I think Beamer &amp; Co. kept things simple at NC State to minimize the possibility of mistakes by the offense. I think they kept things simple at Duke and against Ohio because they didn't need to be fancy. Vick is making good decisions (only one turnover), and there is a ton of talent around him. The biggest question mark on offense is our offensive line. IMO, their play has been very good so far, but your blitzing defense will be a test. Also, a quick note about our offense: we have had only one procedural penalty (false start) in three games.
[*] A solid kicking game. I would like to say an awesome kicking game, but I'm not sold that Brandon Pace is a great place kicker. He's been good so far, but not outstanding. However, we have had many touchbacks thanks to our kickoff guy (Jared Develli), and our punter (Nic Schmitt) is a hoss! I've seen a number of 50+ yd punts by Schmitt, as well as some very good pooch type punts inside the 20.
[/list]

At any rate, I'm very excited and anxious about tomorrow's game. I made it down to Atlanta for last year's game (which I was disappointed to see empty seats on Thursday night), and we were lucky to leave with a victory. Of course, I think we will win the game, but I think it might be one of our toughest games this year.

I hope many of you make the trip to Blacksburg. I hope you are treated well and enjoy your time in the mountains of southwest Virginia.

Unfortunately, due to family commitments, I can't make it this weekend.

Now that is a damn good football fan. And a pretty reasonable game assesment, though a little biased, but mine would be too. Cheers, and good luck the rest of the season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Thanks! ... My thoughts on Johnson.

[ QUOTE ]
And a pretty reasonable game assesment, though a little biased, but mine would be too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I wish I had more insight into Georgia Tech for this weekend, but I just haven't seen you guys the last 2 weeks.

I will say this ... Johnson looked absolutely sick against Auburn! He is a serious playmaker, and I haven't seen a better wide receiver in college yet this year. Unfortunately, I don't think Calvin Johnson will be matched up against Jimmy Williams tomorrow. Williams is the boundry corner, so he pretty much always plays the short side of the field. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), Johnson often plays the wide side of the field. So, he'll be matched up against our field corner, Roland Minor.

I don't think you'll see our coaches have Williams switch sides just to matchup against Johnson.

Re: Thanks! ... My thoughts on Johnson.

Correct, they normally play different sides of the field. I did see a quote from Williams somewhere this weeks, maybe atlanta journal, maybe macon telegraph?, that he didn't know how much he would be on Johnson but I think he said something about maybe 50% at most since its not his normal position. We'll see where Beamer puts him, but I'm guessing the 50% might even be a bit high, just move him over to Calvin for heavy percentage passing downs, and that infamous fade pass that Johnson will have a bit harder time being able to pull down against a big corner.

As far as our teams developement goes, the Oline is really meshing well and starting to open up some good holes. We've got a few injuries with our DE Henderson out. Will probably have a similiar feel to AU for us, but the running game will likely play a bigger roles now that we have Choice comfortable and able to get some good runs in backing up PJ. I expect a pretty high percentage of screen passes compared to usual, and a LOT of stunts from the defense.

Back