Some photos for those who could not attend

Goldtimer

Varsity Lurker
You'll find some images at:
http://www.pbase.com/goldtimer/gtvsvu020831

These images were selected (from over 80 i took) to give a sense of the ambience for those who could not attend.

Click on the thumbnails (even if they show red Xs - don't know why that happened) to see larger images. Note that there are two pages of thumbnails. Click on the 2 at the bottom to see the second page.

Elected to do this before racking up the results of the Score Prediction contest, as i thought it would be of value to more people.

Goldtimer, I love you man...
thanks

Miami is going down!!!

thanks Goldtimer!!

bigthumbup.gif

Thanks for saying thanks. All are most welcome. Happy to share, as I lived 700 miles from Atlanta for a dozen years, missed many games, and would love to have images like this to help me imagine being there.

The play images posted on the Hive (by StingTheMutts) were very additive to these. (I'll do that after I get a digital camera with more than a 3X zoom.)

My thinking is it's the job of the media cameramen (who are given sideline passes) to catch the action on the field for us. Wish we had a guy like Galen (sp?) in NC taking photos of all our games, not just those vs. Tobacco Rd teams. (If GTAA would give me a sideline pass, I'd buy a better camera and get some great shots for you. Heck, I'd bring two assistants and buy them cameras!)

This GT/VU gallery has proved very popular, with almost 2K hits last time I looked. [Of course, since one cannot judge if the click is worth it or not until one clicks, the high hit count is not necessarily a quality judgement ;-)]

And, I'm sure others will post their images today and over the next few days.

BTW, working on the Score Prediction Contest this AM, before going out to play. Should be able to at least post the top 5 a little later this AM.

Great pictures Goldtimer!! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera are you using?? I'm looking at investing in one in the near future.

jacket1515, i took these with a Minolta X. It's a tiny little 2 megapixel digital about the size of a pack of cigarettes, except only .5 inches thick. It has an internal 3X optical zoom and a prism, so the lens does not stick out beyond the body of the camera. It uses Secure Digital cards. I have a 128MB one which can store about 120 1600x1200 images. It lists for $399, but you can get one for about $320. (Then I'd recommend paying $50-90 for a 64mb or 128mb SD card, as the 16K which comes with it is too small - most digitals come with cards too small.)

I love this little camera because of the convenience of carrying it in a belt case. I only wish it were 3mp, so I could crop smaller parts of images and still have a sharp image. But, in the case of almost full images, I'm actually reducing the image to about half it's original size for display on the internet (at 72dpi) anyway, so more mp wouldn't buy me anything. More zoom would be very advantageous for field action shots, however, which is why I don't do them with this camera.

If you've looked around, you know you can get a larger 2mp camera cheaper than this, or a 3mp for about the same $. Only you can decide how important size and convenience is to you.

If you don't mind carrying a camera around, the Sony DSC-707 is 7mp with 7X optical zoom and can be had for about $600 now (down from $1K 6 months ago). I'd like to also have one of those, or the new Kodak 5700, which is around $1000 now, but will drop in time.

Recommend you check out the camera reviews at dpreview.com before buying one.

Your welcome, and an update on the new Sony 717:

When the price of a camera drops dramatically, as the price of the Sony 707 did (from 1K to 500-600) it almost always means an updated version is on the way, and such is the case here. The 717 has been announced, at $1K.

Here's a review:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02090401sonyusf717.asp

If you intend to take on-field action shots from your seat in the stands, I'd highly recommend this camera, with it's 5.24 mp CCD and it's 5X optical zoom. I'm tempted to buy one myself, but will try to wait 6 months for a price drop. Maybe I'll have one for next season.

Or, if you can resist having to have the latest and greatest, you can probably obtain the old 707, which is 90-95% as good, for about half the price, now that the new model is out.

If I had this camera and GTAA would give me a sideline photographer's pass, I'd provide action shots which would put the AJC's to shame, and maybe a few short movies of great plays as well.

The Nikon 5700 (did i say Kodak before?) is equally good, and about the same price. You'll not be carrying either one of these cameras in a case on your belt like my tiny Minolta X, however.
They are smaller than traditional 35mm's, but you'll feel the weight of them hanging around your neck.

Sorry, admins, for drifting off into camera bug talk, but I was asked. If I post any more on the matter, it will be in the appropriate forum.

Back