Some thoughts on our team

GTPilot

Flats Noob
I've taken in what everyone has been saying since the loss and listened to what Gailey had to say and I figured I would share my thoughts on this team.

First, I expected Gaily to make mistakes this season. A lot of coaches make mistakes in their 1st year because the game is completely different than the pros or lower level college ball. However, what has frustrated me is his seeming inability to admit that he has done something wrong. Even after saying that he didn't get the team ready for UGA he later states that some players quit on him. So he again puts the blame on someone else rather than taking full responsibility. If the players quit, it is his fault for creating an environment in which players do quit and for allowing them to continue to play. Also, you don't talk about players quitting in public but instead take care of it behind close doors. Why do you want to air your dirty laundry?

Second, Gailey does not seem to have complete control over this team. He now admits that players quit on him which is a sure sign that control has been lost. His players went out and stomped on the "G" before the game Saturday which was completely classless. How can you allow your players to do something like that? Especially when you are a huge underdog in the game. Did the players expect to lose so they did early since they weren't possibly going to do it later?

Third, the defense is the only side of the ball that has shown any signs of improvement this year. The offense & special teams play has continued to make silly mistakes that have cost us games. We keep making the same mistakes every game and I've seen nothing that has shown me that the coaches have taken steps to correct these mistakes. In addition, with a few exceptions, the QB & WR play has been horrible. The staff has not been able to improve these guys as the season has progressed. Personally, I think a lot of the WR problems stem from not feeling comfortable with the QB. Either way, if anyone isn't improving then you put in someone else to determine if they can improve. If it's broke, then fix it.

Fourth, Gailey hasn't shown the ability to communicate with his audience. There are a significant number of fans and supporters who simply don't believe anything he says anymore. He states that AJ & Bilbo are 1 & 1A going into the fall and then continues to state that Bilbo will get plenty of playing time because he is too good to keep off the field. Then he states that Bilbo only can run a few packages and that AJ provides us a better chance to win. However, Bilbo seems to perform very well with those limited packages and when AJ struggles (which he has done a lot this season) you don't see Bilbo get the chance to come into the game and play significant minutes. The Duke game is probably the biggest question mark. So it leaves the fans wondering why is that what they are seeing doesn't quite add up to what they are hearing.

He says that he has been planning for the UGA game since February and that he understands the importance of the game and feels the team is going to be ready. Then the team comes out completely flat and Gailey stands on the sideline with his head down in the 1st half.

He states that we can't recruit a large group Georgia players because they aren't able to qualify and graduate. Yet we've done it in the past and other schools seem to be capable of getting these kids.

Finally, I have no problem with going 7-5 this year. In fact, I predicted 8-4 so we aren't that far off. The problem I have is the way in which this team has both won and lost. This team isn't much better than the team that suited up against Vandy. In fact, I would probably state that the team has actually gotten worse in some areas. Were we close to winning a few more games? Sure, but we were also close to losing a few more games too. One thing I stated that made Gailey different than O'Leary from last year is that Gailey's team didn't quit after the Wake lost. Now unforutnately I must admit I was wrong because Gailey's team did quit on him this past weekend. That is what I feel makes me most worried. Why did they quit? It may be a fluke (I sure hope so) but it may also be signs of a team that is beginning to divide. The fans have already started to divide and if the players follow it can only spell disaster.

Do I think Gailey should be fired? No. However, he if he continues to refuse to admit mistakes and take the blame for the inability of his team to improve, then next year might be a long one. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but he really needs to reassess where he is at right now and realize that this college game isn't like what he thought it was. If you don't like your assistants, then get rid of them. If you don't like the play of your players, then bench them. In the end it is your responsibility for how this team performs. Don't talk to me about the record because that isn't the problem. It is the way your team has played that is the problem.

GTPilot,

I would say that our team is worse, at least offensively, than when we played Vandy. We do not have a Tony Hollings to cover our offensive inadequacies anymore.

I actually wonder what is going on in the AA today. has chan actually heard from the disatisfied fan base? (And this includes former players.)

Assuming that he is still here next year, I would like to know what his plans are to correct numerous errors.

If someone beats us because they have more talent, that is one issue. When we lose because of our lack of preparation, that is something else.

How do you mess up 6 snaps from center?

This is the best assessment I've read of the state of our program since Sat. GTPilot I would post this on the Hive as well as the "blue-sky-ers" over there need this reality check. Let me know if you can't but would like to and I'll do it for you...

UGA has always had somewhat better talent, but that has not been a factor in the wins we had over them. We had creative playcalling on both sides of the ball before.

I'm sorry but I have been unimpressed with our O all yr. except for Tony. It is a boring, predictable O. Maybe if AJ could have completed some of those long passes that JH did to Dez White and GG to KC then it would not have been so constrained. Our talent on O is very limited.

Our lines were pushed around dramatically Sat.

IMO, our HC is in over his head.

You can post it over there if you like. I typically don't post too much over there since anybody's post seems to turn into a pissing match between the "everything is fine" and the "everything sucks" crowds. At least over here, if people don't agree with me, they typically put together sound arguments to refute my points. Rather than "you suck" or "you're not a true fan".

GTPilot,

I think that your post was well-thought out and had constructive criticism rather than just whining about how was or who did not get the HC job.

I hope that your thoughts can find its way to the powers that be and that things can be changed for the better. I too, predicted 8-4 this year, and I am not that disappointed in the overall record given everything that has happened and our talent level vis-a-via our opponents. However, the manner in which the team arrived at 7-5 is what is disturbing. The team really, really looked unprepared to play in the Clemson, Wake and Ugag games.
frown.gif

Back