Something I've wondered about fullbacks...

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
Something I\'ve wondered about fullbacks...

After looking at ahsoisee's report, I was thinking about the fullback position. We have a couple guys around 220, then there's Mike Matthews weighing in at 275. Why don't more teams use really big guys as fullbacks, especially in a power-I/goal line formation? I remember O'Leary using DT Berwin Echols as a fullback once as a "secret weapon", but that idea hasn't come up again since. Remember the Fridge scoring a TD in the Super Bowl?

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it make more sense to have either a large FB or a D-lineman as the upman, so he could help give a little extra surge to knock the defense back? I know that some coaches wouldn't want to risk an injury to their D-linemen by putting him in on offense, but it's not like they'd be running a toss sweep on 4th and inches a la Charles Grant in the '99 UGAg game.
wink.gif

Re: Something I\'ve wondered about fullbacks...

They have to be able to get up out of their stance and move quickly in any direction for at least 5 yards, possibly carry the ball for yardage and swing out of the backfield for pass receptions. The 'Fridge' experiment (William "Refrigerator" Perry) of several years ago was mostly a novelty act. However, a big man that can move and handle the football, like Mike Matthews, may be a real find. I'm reminded of Christian Akoye. Keep your fingers crossed!

Does anyone know anything about fullback Jay Reid?

Back in school this summer and states doing well.
Working out with team. up to 259lbs and ready to show he can play.

Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
After looking at ahsoisee's report, I was thinking about the fullback position. We have a couple guys around 220, then there's Mike Matthews weighing in at 275. Why don't more teams use really big guys as fullbacks, especially in a power-I/goal line formation? I remember O'Leary using DT Berwin Echols as a fullback once as a "secret weapon", but that idea hasn't come up again since. Remember the Fridge scoring a TD in the Super Bowl?

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it make more sense to have either a large FB or a D-lineman as the upman, so he could help give a little extra surge to knock the defense back? I know that some coaches wouldn't want to risk an injury to their D-linemen by putting him in on offense, but it's not like they'd be running a toss sweep on 4th and inches a la Charles Grant in the '99 UGAg game.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">When I played defense in high school there is nothing more I ever like to see than a team tell you what they were going to do, which is basically what happens when you go power I on the goal line and put in the big lead back. Rarely does the offense have the upper hand when everyone on the defense knows where the play is going...

Ramblinwise, I agree with you. I detest a one back offense. All the defense has to do is go to the blocker to get to the runner.

I like at least two ball carriers in the backfield. The best backfield Tech had, since I have followed them, was the old BellySeries offense with three backs running the ball.

It is obvious to me, you can fool more linemen with a two back or three back system than a one back system. If the fullback is nothing more than a mere blocker, he can only take out one defender.

If you fake to a back going in one direction and hand off to another back in the opposite direction, you have probably fooled several of the defensive tacklers. Most good backs need only one step on a defensive back to get by him.

Consider the defensive team goes to the blocker. Even if the fullback takes one of them out, the remainder of the defensive players headed to the blocker will be more than adequate to get him.

Deception is much better than having the fullback as a perpetual blocker. Personally, I had rather have Matthews as a defensive end.

Father Time

Back