Something's Rotten in Nashville

mm42

Dodd-Like
Something\'s Rotten in Nashville

Someone is lying about what went down with the Music City Bowl.

It's either our AD or Virginia's AD. You make the call:

[ QUOTE ]
U.Va. and Minnesota each will receive an allotment of 10,000 tickets. Littlepage hopes Virginia will sell more than that, but he said he made no promises to Music City officials, and they didn't ask for any.

"We just don't go down that road," Ramsey said. "We've never been in a bidding war with anybody, and that was the case here."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sat...s=1045855934926

[ QUOTE ]
"We have the Web sites, and we have the postcards, and we have everything else," Braine said. "It comes down to one school outbidding another school. When you have a 7-4 record which is better than Virginia's, and when you have a 5-3 conference record which is better than Virginia's, you shouldn't have to buy a game.

"Until the ACC does something about bowls taking schools because of the number of tickets they'll sell and fans they'll bring, we'll have this situation."

Braine said he told Ramsey Tech would buy 20,000 tickets and bring 10,000-12,000 fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/1205/05techfoot.html

Re: Something\'s Rotten in Nashville

Like it or not...Braine is right on this one...and he has been very outspoken about it.

Swofford is a wuss...he did not step up like the Big 10 and SEC commissioners did.

I am probably grasping at straws on this one, but sometimes that's what you do when nothing else makes sense:

How likely is it that Swofford enabled uva to get this over Tech as payback for Braine's strong support of vpi in the expansion, over the protests of uva?

Like I said, this may be a reach but nothing legitimate makes any sense.

I had thought that the acc only protects n carolina schools, but had it explained to me yesterday that uva is part of the secret society, and that wfu is half in/ half out.

Either lying, or clueless about what's going on. Won't be the first time anyone's accused Braine of being in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dead_horse.gif

More like grasping at air....

Actually it was UVA that strongly supported VT entry into the ACC. In fact, UVA had the deciding vote and stopped expansion at least once because VT wasn't included. UVA's president Casteen said UVA would NEVER vote for an expansion that did not include VT.

Actually GT's support of VT was rather weak compared to that. All we did was vote yes for expansion to include them - but I think we also voted yes for the original expansion that did not include them.

And TBH, I find all this talk of a North Carolina mafia to be verging on paranoia. I have never believed that and never will. Those schools (UNC, Duke and NCSU primarily) hate each other as much as we hate UGA. Whenever they happen to agree on something it is because they are going to get something out of it - not either of the other two. And now that UVA has gotten the Music Bowl over us, I am hearing about an ACC "secret society". Oh, so now they've included UVA in their club just to screw us? Give me a freakin' break - they don't CARE about us enough to go to that effort. But they would go to that effort to screw each other.

All that talk of a North Carolina mafia/ACC secret society sounds too much like "they hate us because we are beautiful."

Maybe some of you need to take a look inward. First, Bowl games are rewards for the PLAYERS. Second, if we traveled better, we wouldn't need to "sell" ourselves to a bowl committee and we'd be higher in the bowl "food chain." Like it or not, that's the way it is. And if that is your biggest beef with Division 1 college football - you must be related to the guy who rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Re: More like grasping at air....

One disagreement. I think we do travel well, and our east coast bowl attendance bears that out. What we don't do is sell ourselves at all. We expect people to just know things about us and then are amazed they don't or that they have different perspectives. One of the bowl directors made a comment to the effect that it's a rule of thumb that teams from NFL cities don't travel well. While that might be true overall, most Falcon fans aren't Tech fans. In fact, most people in ATL aren't Tech fans either. But we need to make bowl committee aware of that we can't expect them to figure it out on their own.

I don't know what we did or didn't do, but we should have a package that highlights our bowl experiences on the east coast, how we market, our tradition, etc., that we send to every bowl we think is a possibility. We should have been politicking for the Gator, Peach, Meinke, Champs and Music City if we thought those were potential destinations. But we were asleep at the wheel it appears and got beat out.

GW, I said I was grasping at straws! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Not only that, if you are right about the uva/vpi relationship, I am as wrong as can be!

Aside from that, I agree that the bowls should be a reward for the players. It just so happens that the players feel they were screwed on this.
I have faith that the team will prepare well, play well, and will have a good time when they get out there.

I don't know if you are saying that the acc handles their in conference business above board or not. I don't think they do, but also think that other major conferences are every bit as guilty of having their similar problems.

Regarding college football having much bigger problems, I am right there with you on that. As with most things, it will be about money that will will rip the lid off of the vault that we aren't suppose to be able to look in.

Some school or group of schools will eventually feel strong enough about not getting their fair share of the pot, and the pom-poms will hit the fan.

about the uva/vptisu thing though, it should be noted that uva didn't want it to happen, but the govenor made it clear that the uva president, wouldnt be, if vptisu was left in the big east.

theres no love there at all, similiar hatred exists that we have against the leghumpers, though its more snobs agianst hicks than.... actually, I guess its about the same for a lot of our fans these days, if we could only get back to the moonshine swilling mutt kicking days of old.

Just a side note: I have always wondered about that Governor thing in UVA. If I was the President of UVA AND my school and alumni truly did not want VPI, I think I could have found a way. Just my opinion.

I want to believe that if Tech were offered a spot in the SEC and after the hounddawgs would be barking adn the UGA President hinted that that would never happen in order to appease them, that he would in fact find a way for a fellow Georgia University to get in anyway.

I know that that is 50/50 in the state of Georgia, but for most states it would generally happen.

Pocket watch...

I re read my post and it came off as pretty sarcastic. Sorry about that - I was trying to be funny. Sometimes in an e-mail it is hard to include all the nuances.

Also, I didn't know that the players feel like they are being screwed. My bad. I guess I just assumed they would like a trip to SF.

It is true that Gov.Warner went to Casteen and told him to support VT in the ACC; however, I have NEVER heard one peep out of Casteen that would indicate that he didn't support it himself. I have heard him speak on and off the record and he appears to have fully supported VT from the start.

But you never know what happens behind closed doors.

I grew up in Raleigh and have followed ACC sports since about 1960. My family had season tix to NCSU football and basketball until I went to Tech in 1969. I agree that the ACC probably doesn't have any cleaner hands than any other conference - I just don't think the NC schools band together to get the rest of us. They do what is in their interest. Because they are so close geographically, they have many of the same issues and interests so they actually do act in concert - but I don't think it's a conspiracy, it's just a natural outgrowth of their proximity and like goals.

JMHO, of course.

Back