"Spec-Tech-Ular!"

C

Crazy4tech

\"Spec-Tech-Ular!\"

Here is my 2nd game from the past to help us through the long months without football. While I didn't attend this game, (my took my neighbor who was a S. Carolina alumni instead, and I have never forgiven him for it) it was one of the most amazing Tech games in the last 30 yrs. It was from Oct. 15 1988, Bobby Ross's 2nd yr on the flats.

"Jackets offense comes to life in 34-0 romp of #8 Gamecocks

When the last deed was done, Bobby Ross rode to midfield on his players shoulders. Twenty yards away, nose guard Willie Burks tacked teammate Jerimiah McClary and wresteled him to the ground, the two writhing on the Astroturf in blissful delirium. Off to the side, defensive tackle Sean Smith stood weeping. In the stands above, the band played Ramblin Wreck again and again, each time louder than before.

For the first time since Nov 1, 1986, 15 losses ago, GT had beaten a Div 1A team. And not just any D1A team but South Carolina, ranked #8 in the land. And more than simply winning, Tech ruled. The Yellow Jackets stunning 34-0 demolition Saturday at BDS marked Carolina's first shutout loss in seven years and left the Gamcocks' conquerors alternately gidy and tongue tied.

"This game turns our whole season around," said Tech safety Andre Thomas, whose two first half int's were daggers to Carolina's heart. "We're finally complete as a team. I don't see anyone beating us the rest of the way."

Said Smith, his eyes still dewey: "Incredible...I couldn't express this in words...It felt so good...We've worked so hard..Its really something."

A 14 pt underdog, Tech dominated from the start to finish. The previously punchless Jackets (2-4) rolled '79 yds to a td on their first possession, 88 to another on their second. To Tech's defense, the 14-0 lead seemed manna from heaven. "That's all we asked", said Thomas. "When the offense gout us two tds, we knew we could shut 'em down".

Tech did, inducing 4 Carolina turnovers in 11 second quater plays, turning the game already tipping the Jackets' way into an avalanche. Tech led 31-0 at teh halftime, having scored more points in two quaters than in its last 3 games. "Amazing how football can be," said Ross, a winner over a D1 opponent for the first time since becoming Tech's coach in 1987.

I Was There ....

And, based on what happened the previous year and earlier in the '88 season, I could only shake my head in delighted amazement. Unfortunately it did not turn our season around or translate into more success that year.

My first \"real\" game as a freshman...

... and what a game it was. Tech had played others, but this was the first ranked opponent, and quite frankly my first experience with what a loud BDS could really be like. Needless to say, I enjoyed it. I probably enjoy it more now that I live in the heart of Gamecock country. I like to bring this one up at least 2-3 times per year!

GO JACKETS!!

Re: \"Spec-Tech-Ular!\"

I had seen Tech games in Md against Navy as a kid. My first game at Grant Field was against SMU in 50/51. I had just gotten out of the polio hospital in New Mexico and my dad took me to GF. Tech won but having lived out west I was rooting for SMU. It didn't take long for me to become (again) a Tech fan. After our return to the South East we saw almost every game for many years at GF.

And oldfoggy, wasn't that an exciting time to be a GT fan. I too got to go to quite a few games back then with my Daddy and family, and it was definitely a thing to look forward to. Back then it was the "IN" thing to be a GT fan.
(LOL) Times have changed that around here over the years. There's still a bunch of us GT fans here in Rome but a lot of them are afraid to admit it in a crowd. Sad thing about it is this, a lot of the UGA crowd would switch in a heartbeat to GT if we were to pull off a string of wins against them. They are the "politically correct" fans. No real fan of any team, just which ever one wins last.
I'm thinking things are going to be changing very soon too, and we'll be seeing some GT wins over the dogs.

I can't go quite that far back. But, my Dad was a coach in the Atlanta Public Schools. In the late 50's and early 60's before the upper deck was put on in the west, there were bleachers on top of the west stands. Each coaching staff got tickets for those seats. I was not even in school yet when it rained like crazy and Paul Dietzel brought the Chinese bandits and LSU to Grant Field - it was my first memory of a Tech game. Although Dad was an Auburn grad and we would sit in those complimentary tickets and yell "War Eagle" when the Plainsmen came to town, the rest of the time we cheered for the Jackets.

From our perch on top of the press box I thought Bobby Dodd was the finest gentleman coach in the country, those gold helmets shining were the prettiest around, and that Tech men were the classiest, brightest, and best to be found anywhere. Those tickets were pretty seductive - both of my Dad's sons went to Tech instead of Auburn. I still feel that way about Tech when I walk in to Grant Field many years later.

Back