Spring Game confirmed for April 12th . . .

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
. . . I finally called the SID at GTAA and they confirmed that the spring game would take place on April 12th. They were not real sure of the time or place but felt it would be on campus and sometime around 11 AM to Noon start time. I am a little suprised that nothing has been put out of an official nature regarding the spring practice sessions and the spring game. Seems like a missed opportunity to create a little interest and excitement about the program.

I have not posted for a while due to being on vacation. I notice not many others have posted since I went away. This board is in hibernation.

We drove to Mobile for a wedding and I had a chance to listen to sports talk radio. Paul Finebaum was talking Alabama and Auburn football and was getting plenty of participation from the call in audience. He is not sold on Price being a good fit for Bama and feels the program is in for more troubled waters ahead. He thinks Auburn will be real good.

From Mobile we took a trip over to New Orleans and Bourbon Street. The joint was rocking and a chant of LSU . . . LSU rang out as the crowds gathered to observe some of the goings on. Reminded me of that rowdy crowd a few years ago at the Peach Bowl, Beads, Hats, Drunk and obnoxios.
drinking.gif
A lot of passion in those 2 States regarding their football teams.

Driving back along the Gulf Coast we passed through Moss Point, Mississippi. I immediately took that as a sign Demarius Bilbo would ascend to lead the Jackets to victory in 2003. I had no idea Moss Point would be on our route. Moss Point looks like a good place to be from.
pat.gif

Any way, it's good to be home and to know that Spring Practice starts a week from today and that we will be getting those practice reports from our crew that is fortunate enough to attend.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Go Jackets

Good report JtJ. I plan on going to the game. I have a business trip that will bring me back thru Hotlanta on the 9th. My in-laws live there, so I will stop there with my wife and camp out and work the Varsity a couple of times and then go to the game too.

I think that there are some good times ahead for the Ramblin Reck, or as I have come to call them, "The Big Mustards," my pet name for the Yellow Jackets.

Thanks for the report Jerry. Your questioning the secrecy of the spring game just reinforces our problems at GTAA don't just lie with CG. A little marketing and common sense would do wonders.

It's common practice in division IA sports to make spring practice much like spring practice in major league baseball - no matter how bad or good you are an event to launch some enthusiasm, hope and anticipation. Ohio State is expected to sell out 80,000+ for their spring game. Granted, we aren't OSU, but shouldn't we land somewhere a notch or two behind rather than amongst the likes of Ivy League where guys are strolling out amongst the intramural soccer game to do a little a scrimmaging? I remember years ago T Day was a nice little event. Seems it wouldn't take too much effort. Have a BBQ joint or the Varsity show up, have the players wear a couple of versions of retro uniforms with real numbers and old gold, maybe a few celebrity coaches, anything to get the community together.

This stealth approach that has taken place just isn't going to fly another year.

No more "buy a ticket to the Duke game and get a free hot dog and a coke" stuff. How about some common sense events for football people, seating arrangements at BDS that make sense, a radio network on par with at least some of the better IAA schools.

And a P.S. Tell the band to play "Dixie" again if nothing else - that will draw a crowd.

Good points WASP....Tech seems to never really figure out how to market and promote GT Football. I blame this on the fact that the dept. has a very high turn-over rate of wet-behind-the-ears employees trying every goofy promo in the 'ol book. GTAA should bring in a sports marketing veteran who also knows Ga. Tech and Atlanta.
Arthur Blank has shown everyone how quickly a program can turn around its marketing.
frown.gif

BOO

Originally posted by Father WASP:
...I remember years ago T Day was a nice little event....

And a P.S. Tell the band to play "Dixie" again if nothing else - that will draw a crowd.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">HELL YEA!!!!!!!!!!
lightningzap.gif
lightningzap.gif

Back