State supported NIL

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
So I am up to my eyeballs in deadlines so for the moment I’m just gonna drop this here and get back to it later but this really got my attention.

I recall during the ACC expansion how Virginia (the State, not the school) looked after its own. I live in VA and registered with UVA to buy tix to our game at C’ville last year so get emails from them now and then.

Is Georgia (again, the State) doing anything like this or are we just being left for dead by the dwags who run this state?

Here is the full text of the email

Wahoo fans,

Earlier today, Gov. Glenn Youngkin ceremonially signed a bill that will significantly change the way colleges and universities in this state can operate with regard to name, image and likeness (NIL).

Among those in attendance at the Patrick Henry Building was a delegation from UVA, including director of athletics Carla Williams, head football coach Tony Elliott, and head volleyball coach Shannon Wells.

Sponsored by Del. Terry Austin, the bill, which goes into effect July 1, will allow UVA and its peer institutions to be considerably more involved in helping their student-athletes navigate NIL opportunities.

Moreover, a university will be allowed to directly compensate student-athletes for the use of their NIL, if its governing body—in UVA’s case, the Board of Visitors—approves policies and procedures that govern NIL.

Click the button below to read the full feature on the bill's signing.

FEATURE ON NIL BILL
Williams said UVA Athletics will continue to work closely with and assist with fundraising for its official collective, Cav Futures.

“The law provides much-needed and practical flexibility,” Williams said, “but we haven’t made any [final] decisions about which provisions within the law we’ll actually activate. We’ll continue to support Cav Futures, we’ll continue to discuss our options internally, we’ll monitor the environment, we’ll talk with our coaches, our student-athletes, and we’ll make a decision that’s best for UVA.”

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Most of our politicians are Dawg grads so I highly doubt they give two uga leg humps about Ga Tech athletics since they seem to be doing alright unlike the zima drinkers and empty trophy case losers up in vaginny.

Not sure which is more disappointing: the direction this thread immediately went towards or my lack of surprise that it did.

Our only chance to retain an opportunity for greatness is to spurn the SEC with the same vitriolic hatred they show us and shove all our chips to the B1G play.

If we can't join 'em, beat 'em.

Not sure which is more disappointing: the direction this thread immediately went towards or my lack of surprise that it did.

Our only chance to retain an opportunity for greatness is to spurn the SEC with the same vitriolic hatred they show us and shove all our chips to the B1G play.

If we can't join 'em, beat 'em.
Sadly I have to agree.

Back