Stats are for losers, or why (UPDATED! for Week 5)

BEESerk

Flats Noob
Originally posted by JTS:

Of course the question is are these results more reflective of our performance or our opponent's performance. Then again, the only important stat is 1-3.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree completely. It certainly could be due to who we have faced.... that is why the Vandy game is SO important from a statistics standpoint. We have to prove we can do better against lesser competition. Otherwise, the truth is that we just have a crappy offense.

Originally posted by JTS:
BEEserk,

I just thought that I would add the rankings of our opponents to date:

Team Total Offense / Total Defense

BYU 83rd / 12th
Auburn 103rd / 11th
FSU 23rd / 6th
Clemson 58th / 34th

Of course the question is are these results more reflective of our performance or our opponent's performance. Then again, the only important stat is 1-3.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">of course you can flip this around and say the reason BYU, F$U, and Auburn are so highly ranked on the defense after only 3-4 games IS the fact that they have played against an offense every bit as bad as the rankings suggest.

stateline - hmmm....lets see...who do those teams have in common other than GT?

Well both AU and BYU have also played So Cal, whose OC is the widely-considered genius Norm Chow. And we scored more points against F$U than anyone else this season, in fact we've even scored more against their D on offense than 2 of the other 3 teams combined - one of those coached by the offensive genius Ralph Fridgen! Of course that same F$U D that 'fattened up' on GT just held Colorado to 7 points. As stunning as it may sound, the GT offense is the one that has put the most hurt on the F$U D.

I do not disagree with the statement that our offense is not effective enough - again 3 TD's in 4 games is atrocious.

But statistically speaking (and stats are for losers), we compare favorably against similar competition.

we appear to be a bad football team. I perused the current NCAA team rankings and stats. Other than our run defense and yards/completion on defense, we are statisticaly horrible in all phases of the game.

Net Punting:
#66 35.32 yds/att

Punt returns:
#83 7.30 yds/game

Kickoff returns:
#96 17.75 yds/game

Turnover Margin:
#82 -.5/game

Rush/Pass/Total/Scoring Offense:
#108/#93/#112/#111

Rush/Pass/Total/Scoring Defense:
#20/#74/#38/#48

They break out Passing effeciency as a separate category we come in at #99.

Purely from a numbers standpoint it is obvious we have a very anemic offense. Our kicking and special teams are compounding this by keeping us in bad field position. Throw in a negative turnover margin, and well...... a recipie for failure.

Vandy is HUGE! We MUST break out of our funk. This is our 5th game of the year, and it is time for a houghly touted O-Line to come together. It is time for freshman to show some signs of maturity. It is time for the leaders of this team to motivate them, and to push through the physical limitations we have.

I want to see us put a hurting on Vandy. I want to see us to explode for 35 points and 400 yards of offense against their Defense (#50 overall).

easy to see from those numbers that we're not very good...let's hope things change

BEEserk,

I just thought that I would add the rankings of our opponents to date:

Team Total Offense / Total Defense

BYU 83rd / 12th
Auburn 103rd / 11th
FSU 23rd / 6th
Clemson 58th / 34th

Well after week 5 and playing the might 'Dores from Nashville...

Net Punting:
#79 34.82 yds avg

Punt Returns:
#66 8.64 yds avg

Kickoff returns:
#103 17.2 yds avg

Turnover Margin:
#77 -.4

Rush/Pass/Total/Scoring Offense:
#89/#102/#112/#108

Rush/Pass/Total/Scoring Defense:
#25/#67/#40/#37

Bottom line... we are NOT improving overall. This was probably our second weakest opponent, and an extremely young opponent at that. We had an opporunity to find our groove, and we didn't take advantage of it.

We must have a lot of "would be" meat cutters here because they delight in delving in baloney!!!!!

Back