Stealing from Bama?

He’s not an outcast, he’s a pass-rushing DE that Bama tried to convert to LB. It didn’t work.
We don't really know if he is an outcast or not. I doubt CGC would risk team chemistry on a bad actor or an overrated dud.

At the top levels of football, like where Bama and Clemson are and we want to reach, it is skill fit that matters a lot more than skill level. The differences in ability are usually small between your players, and the person who fits your scheme best usually wins.

If Harris does what he was recruited to do, and I have no reason to doubt it, he could make a major impact on the defense that CGC uses. His style is to move people around and not give the quarterback any time to dissect it. When the quarterback has plenty of time in the pocket his defense suffers on pass defense, but then so does every other defensive scheme. When the quarterback has no time and just gets rid of it before understanding who is where, we have a high chance of a turnover.

Saban likes defensive ends that excel at setting the edge, and quick pressure from the blitz. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it is a great scheme, but it puts a guy like Harris at linebacker and that is not the best fit.

It is foolish to say, "I would rather have a defensive tackle." That is a different conversation, like getting a steak and saying, "I would rather have cheesecake." Unless you are four years old.

How's he an outcast?

Not sure he's an "outcast," but just a young player who had yet to see the field. As mentioned, he seemed to be a bad fit for Bama at LB.

It's also important to keep in mind that Bama's entire roster is literally comprised of 4/5 star players so unless you're just an all-world talent, you won't see the field a whole lot early there. They could field a very good team just with the players buried on their depth chart.

Attachments

• 1607201020216.png
    1607201020216.png
    2 MB · Views: 45
And I FIFY

Really??
What part of questioning his coaching ability, especially after what we've witnessed this season relative to just penalties alone, make me a self-hating pansy???

I've usually agreed with your posts, but it seems lately you've become more of a hateful troll than anything.

Really??
What part of questioning his coaching ability, especially after what we've witnessed this season relative to just penalties alone, make me a self-hating pansy???

I've usually agreed with your posts, but it seems lately you've become more of a hateful troll than anything.
Because you've become a hateful troll. You seem to think that our coaches aren't coaching. Please explain how plating second and third stringers because of injury equates to no coaching.

You, sir, deserve nothing but rebuke for that comment.

Really??

Let's see... a depleted roster from a retiring coach that didn't GAF about replenishing linemen... and a collection of talented but totally inexperienced new kids coming onto the big stage where it takes a couple of years to reliably do anything other than by those extremely rare freaks... working together in a massive transformation that leaves the entire nation staggered by its complexity and totality... to such an extreme and dire extent that the entire nation and unbiased observers, who in article after article exclaimed at our ahead-of-schedule improvement... picked us completely last in our conference.

But we are not last in our conference. FSU is looking up at us. So are others. Everyone is astonished at the job Collins is doing... outside of a few local self-hating pansies and hateful trolls who frankly don't know a damn about college football today.

You want to avoid penalties? You get a team of redshirt seniors. What? You don't have redshirt senior - laden units available? You barely have any anywhere on your roster?

But we have units laden with true freshmen? We had a dozen people out of the game with injuries yesterday and have to sub in people who barely know where to stand on what plays, and the game is moving super-fast for them. Yeah, we had some penalties. Glad our kids were aggressive and put their all in it.

And despite all this, despite being on 4th string defensive linemen when we started the season with barely one functional string, despite weaknesses at linebacker, despite safety after safety falling by the wayside, we hold a winning NCSU team to only 23 points. We had nothing on defense except bailing wire, spit, and heart, and held them to 23 points.

And coaching. We had coaching. Coaching held us together. Coaching schemed to deal with the above problems. Coaching used the right personnel based on who we had left. Coaching kept the players playing hard to the end.

When you have no quit, you have a team with great coaches.

You learn more about coaching quality when you are facing adversity and defeat than you ever learn when you win with ease. Most of us do. Some alleged "fans" are frozen and do not let their eyes see what is before them. The nation knows. The unbiased observers know. And they see a sleeping giant that is on the verge of waking up. Because... a year and a half into this transition with what we had to work with... it should have been last place finish time in conference, and we have surpassed that.

Cuz we have some great coaches.

But we are not last in our conference. FSU is looking up at us. So are others. Everyone is astonished at the job Collins is doing... outside of a few local self-hating pansies and hateful trolls who frankly don't know a damn about college football today.

I don't think this is a beneficial perspective. There's no denying that Collins' team has set records for poor performance - portraying this as still exceeding expectations would imply that the expectations are so low that their validity is dubious. It's also a hyperbolic perspective that isn't going to lead to productive discussion as it's setting up the argument as being one where it isn't necessary to bother with the substance - there's the knowledgeable side and the idiotic troll side.

It's always difficult to have the discussions in middle of the season when emotions are high and perspectives can change after a week. Let's not make things more difficult.

Glad for the addition and hope he is a good one but so far, the transfers we've had through the portal have been underwhelming.

Back