Strong Comments

law_bee

Dodd-Like
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/georgia_tech/4605976.htm

I know this article is in a thread below but I want to make sure everyone sees this statement

If Chan Gailey has his way, A.J. Suggs will be his last dropback quarterback at Georgia Tech.

Gailey, the first-year coach of the Yellow Jackets, and his staff are scouring the country for athletes to quarterback the Jackets in the future.

"Very few teams, and we'd be included in that, are going to take a guy who's just a dropback passer. We won't do that very much anymore," Gailey said. "You have to be an athlete now to go run around and make things happen."
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

People were posting that Bilbo was not the "type" of QB that CG wants.

Well it AINT that. In fact if you believe the Coach's OWN WORDS that is the ONLY type of qb he is looking at.

Amazes me how something Coach Gailey says it twisted by the fans.
wink.gif
The hole thing is talking about recruiting. The writer makes a comment that if Coach has his way AJ would be the last drop back QB at Tech. They are recruiting guys that can run around back there. Now what on earth does that have to do with Bilbo who wasn't even mentioned in this recruiting article.

It's not fair to Bilbo and Coach Gailey to twist what the coach says.

What does it have to do with Bilbo ?
er, uh, maybe because he is a big strong athelete who can run ? Exactly what CG said he wants as QB ?
confused.gif

Gold, I hear you. My point is the article is about recuiting. We're not recruiting Bilbo. He's on campus.

Has nothing to do with why or why nots Bilbo is getting some but not a lot of the playing time in his redshirt freshman year. Seems some fans are looking for any reason to bring up that issue.

Of course Bilbo has the tools as an athlete to play qb and is what coach Gailey is looking for in those areas. What coach wouldn't? That's why fans seem to get upset with him not playing. There is just a lot more to the situation than what we see on the field on Sat in my opinion. The only thing the fans seem to think is he can't learn the plays. Like he's not smart enough. I don't feel or think that's the case at all. He's a redshirt freshman getting playing time in major college football. He's seeing the field.

Go Jackets!

Good points, GTTerr.

I know Bilbo is a better runner than Suggs, but he is also basically a pocket passer, isn't he?

The reason I posted this was there was speculation that CG may favor a dropback qb as opposed to an option style qb.

I wanted to make it clear that is not the case according to our coach.

regarding Bilbo I think the article does make it clear that he is the TYPE of qb CG wants. This leads you to believe that Bilbo will be given every opportunity to succeed which is VERY important.

ya bilbo is on campus....but did it ever dawn on anyone that he isn't good enough right now? Jeez will you people freakin trust our coaches!!! My god Gailey says he wants a mobile QB...we have Bilbo...Bilbo doesn't play..HINT HINT. He isn't there yet. Let it go.

OK, one more time.....

A synopsis of everything thats allready been said...

Everybody here (almost everybody anyway) has seen Bilbo in GAMES (repeat - not practice but actual GAMES)....He looked VERY impressive. Thats all we have to go on. He scrambled quite well in the UNC game as well as showing a great arm...Obviously the coaches don't like what they see in practice. Thats a (obvious) given.

The issue is this. Perhaps Bilbo is one of many many players who don't practice as well as they play in games. for whatever reason. People on this board can cite a ton of examples of this, the one that comes to my mind was Dewberry - who was notoriously not a great practice player but a great game player. There are some here, who feel that there have been ample opportunities to SEE if POSSIBLY he is in that category. From the glimpses we have had, it appears that Bilbo COULD fall into that category. Combine that with a lack of good/great QB play AND the fact that Suggs seemed to respond AFTER coming in after Bilbo played - we cannot come up with good reasons with not playing Bilbo in a limited amount (at least)....

does this help ?

no comment YET from me. I will this time give Suggs a chance before I expound. Come on AJ make me eat my words. We need ya!!!

Very well put Gold Rush! Look 33, most people confused/upset over Bilbo's PT are not distrusting the coaches. Most of us OF's anyway have a tremendous amount of respect for the likes of CCG, but us same OF's have seen a lot of cases of "Coaches don't always pick the best player for each position...especially QB". Just take a look around the SE, there are many examples of the QB first chosen by the water walking all knowing coaches being replaced by another kid who performs better. If hardheaded all knowing Tubberville had relpaced Cobb with Cambell a few games sooner, their season and game against ugag would have likely been much better. THWG

Law-bee is probably referring to an earlier post by me. I stated CG may prefer a drop-back passer because he placed all the running quarterbacks at other positions, and seems to be locked on Suggs as the QB.

I further stated Bilbo was a strong passer, and CG had pulled Camp, a drop-back passer back to the offense. I feel sure that is the reason law-bee referred to this, however, according to the article linked, it appears Gailey does not want a pure pocket passer.

I had stated in the same post, it was confusing, because Gailey had used the option offense at Troy State and won the national championship. He had also made the statement after coming to Tech that he liked the option.

So naturally, his stance on remaining with Suggs, plus bringing Camp back to the position confused the issue in my mind.

Oh well, it has been a confusing situation with the Suggs/Bilbo affair, and no remarks by any poster can change that. There have definitely been many questions by fans regarding that situation and rightlly so.

wink.gif

Im guessing that he is scouring the country looking for qbs that can actually grasp an offensive scheme within 2 years also.

Back