Student block tickets

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
They way the GTAA did block seating was a crime. Most probably dont know about what all happened. I was in charge of my fraternity block and here is how it went. We had a block of 110 tickets. Well this is all we were allowed. If we wanted to bring a date it cost $10 and counted against our block. What is the purpose of that? We just took our free tickets and hoped maybe someone would be out of town. It baffles me why they dont allow as many date passes as they can sell. They will make money plus get more fans in there. They may not gop to this school, but I guarantee any young southern college kid will get that young girl to root for his team. I could have had 150 people there at every game. Instead all extra tickets went to whoever (other teams fans). You take these 40 extra people I could have brought and figure it in with 25 more fraternities, 7 sororities, plus student groups, and there you have sold a big chunk more tickets for people who will atleast be 98% not for the other team. Sorry about this long post, but some feel my pain.

Well...they probably only have a certain number of
seats available in the block area. Sounds like they
need to accomodate more block seats next season.

Selling additional seats, to your block, above the
110 that were allotted would probably result in
your date sitting in another part of the stadium.

Surely with the new renovations they can find a few more seats for the students. Students should fill all of the south endzone without a doubt, and most of the space behind the north side. It just seems like a dumb idea to hold out seats in hopes of selling 20,000 more season tickets instead of accomadating for the students who stand behind their football team.

Originally posted by JJacket:
She can sit next to me, I won't mind.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">might as well have her sit on your lap

wink.gif

jes messin

unfortunately, and fortunately I dont get the opportunity to take a date to a football game.

Kaczynski, you hit it on the head.

GTFish, I'm sure, is NOT one of those that arrives late and leaves early but there certainly appear to be plenty that do.

My beef is the ones who will scalp UGA tix to get whatever they can instead of to a Tech fan. The away game at UGA 3 seasons ago, I posted on the Hive's N. Avenue Trader about a need for 1.

I got bombarded with many offers from students to sell there ticket for around $175 to $250.

Got in the game for face value thanks to a true Tech fan who had an extra.

The frats get NO sympathy from me.

Hold on a sec, I remember in my day that the fraternity's were taking some heat on the blocks being empty and throughout FB and BB season were watched and those that couldn't fill the blocks lost them or had their ticket numbers reduced. Those tickets were then freed up for the rest of the student body.

I can't tell from your post if you're trying to say that the fraternities are the only ones who scalp tickets or not. If so, I don't believe a non-student can even get in on a block ticket without an ID, don't they still look totally different than reg. tickets?

When I was a student ('95-'01), I always wished they had just made one huge "block" and called it the student section, and made it general seating. Eliminate the "student blocks" altogether. That way the rowdy students who showed up early and stayed late (like me) got the good seats, and could sit with all their other rowdy early friends, and the frats who showed up late (or not at all) wouldn't be wasting all the good seats with their "blocks".

I remember more than one occasion when we had get ööööty with a fellow Tech student over who got to sit where. He was a freshman pledge, "saving seats" in two entire rows for his entire fraternaty who never even showed up until the 2nd half.

If half of the north stands and part of the east stands were "general admission, student" seating, I think it would work best. Then the GTAA needs to MARKET TO THE STUDENTS ON GAMEDAY. Get their asses out of the computer labs an into the stadium!!! With our new, bigger (potentially emptier) stadium, I feel like the GTAA should allocate a few more student seats.

Thats my opinion.

Go Jackets!

While I understand the complaints with fraternities arriving late, no showing, etc. don't forget if it wasn't for them the student attendance at the games would be about half of what it is, the gameday experience would be nothing for a large number of alumni and I will not even get into Homecoming would be without them.

Obviously Block seating has changed since my day, when any organization could submit their ID's (you could buy a date pass also) on Wednesday, get their tickets on Thursday afternoon and go to the game Saturday. Also, your stub was checked to your block and you were penalized for unused tickets. Also, the blocks did not get the best seats, it varied week to week. Really the whole thing fell apart when they did away with Flashcards.

Back