Suggs can Sympathize with Edwards (Article)

this is sad...every time I think maybe we have some better fans, I get hit with the reality of it.

Yeah, I know every school has their share of stupid fans, but come on!

Jimbob, :-( As much as I hate to say it, I've been very disappointed in a lot of GT fans this year.

We've got some of THE BEST fans in all of college football. Believe that with all my heart, but the way some fans have acted this year has been extremely disappointing to say the least.

Hearing the things I've heard from the stands and reading some things I've read on these boards has just made me sick.

Then to top it off we have fans that are rubbing it in with the UGA bunch regarding Edwards. Maybe we haven't called players and such leaving messages, but that's no worse than some of the things I've read on these boards and heard from the stands. We're no better than UGA in that regard. Makes me sick that we aren't.

I've heard fans talk about their high standards. Ha Ha. What a joke. That's all a matter of opinion. They say they have supported the players. Maybe directly they have, but indirectly they haven't by saying the things they've said about administration and coaches. Sometimes its not what's said it's how it's said. Like wagging war on someone's family.

Nothing wrong with debating a call or a decision, but being down right hateful towards coaches and the schools AD is uncalled for. I don't care if other schools do it. Can't stand it for our fans to do it.

There is a time and a place for everything. The internet boards are not a good place, and in the middle of a season is a poor time. Especially when the coach is in his first year.

I know that there are people that don't agree. That's just how I feel.

Man, I love the Jackets!! Beat the noles!

This shouldn't surprise anyone. We all heard the maggots booing student-atheletes at BDS. Surely you knew that some of them wouldn't even be able to leave their ill feelings at the stadium. They would want to take it even further. Now everytime, AJ is interviewed, the articles will ALWAYS say "..was booed by the GT fans..." I said this before, and I will say it again. If you feel the need to boo a bunch of kids, you are a pathetic lifeless loser. You have no place wearing white and gold.

I agree that this has been a tough time for GT and I believe there are a view reasons for this

1. lofty expectations that were not met last year by O'leary in his final year

2. the way O'leary left has put a bitter taste in many

3. and probably the biggest reason are lingering thoughts of the Bill Lewis regime

when Bill Lewis took over the program we were a couple of years off a national title and there were so many positives however he completely dismantled all the gains

It was inevitable that the fanbase is not going to sit back if it feels mistakes are being made. We have lost games we should not have lost this year. However NCST has put things back on track. I feel we still need to win 2 out of 3 for EVERYONE to be happy, but at least with the NCST win the optimists have SOMETHING to hold on to.

I have to say that as far as the booing goes I had no problem with it, but that turns out to be very shortsighted. When I read this artical I become embarassed that we would boo a student athlete that is obviously out on the field tryingto do his bes for tech....I for one have opened my eyes...

why does everyone assume that booing was against the athletes. I don't interpret it that way at all. To me the booing was feedback to coaches on decisions made, nothing more. Although I am sure that AJ felt very bad when the booing occurred when he went back on the field I bet you at least a few times he didn't think it was the right decision either...

There were a couple of times in the WF game when Suggs body language told it all... he didn't have any confidence in himself. The coaches have to realize when a kid has lost confidence and try something else. Bilbo should have played and given AJ a chance to settle down and regain his composure.

And saying that doesn't make me a non-FOCer or a FOO'L either. I advocate "tough love" and sometimes that means chewing someone out when they are wrong and need to understand how strongly you feel about the situation. None of the PC bullcrap for me.

Looking back, the men I respect the most in life weren't afraid to chew me out of even kick me in the tail if I needed it. And sometimes I needed it. We all need it sometimes or other.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:

Looking back, the men I respect the most in life weren't afraid to chew me out of even kick me in the tail if I needed it. And sometimes I needed it. We all need it sometimes or other.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ramble.. I understand completely what you are saying... you and I probably encountered a number of people like that in Wilkinson Co... but it isnt our job to chew out the athletes... nor kick them in the tail... thats why the coaches are there... each to their own, but to me, I dont boo or harass high school players, pee wee players, nor college players... they are amateur athletes... when someone is getting paid for it.. and its their job, then thats different.. just my opinion on it..

I want it heard and understood that I have never booed a Ga Tech athlete.

Law I can understand those reasons... and can agree that they probably are a contributing factor to the comments/behavior/etc that I have witnessed during the past year....

But I am more in the corner with GT Terrific...

I am proud of the fact that there seems to be a higher level of passion from the Tech community... believe me.. it is much better that what we served up in the past... (During the 80's you couldnt get ANYONE out of their seats in the West Stands.. and they seemed to be embarrassed of the Student East for cheering)

But in my opinion we have become much more hypocritical fans... we want to laugh at UGA or other SEC programs... but not look at our own behavior sometimes...

I chose to go to Tech not so much because I wanted to be an Engineer... heck, I have never earned a penny in my life while titled as an Engineer.. although I have an Engineering Degree. I wanted to go to Tech because Tech was different... the type of people who went there were different... you had to work to get there, you had to work to get out of there... it seemed to offer a classier solution as opposed to other alternatives at the time.... but I dont see us as being that much different anymore... and that saddens me... we can talk about free speech, etc all we want... and while that is true... I wonder if many have thought about what it is that REALLY makes us different by being associated with GT...

This should get Ahso's ire up again (come on Ahso).. but in my opinion... negative behavior towards student athletes is classless, unless it is deserved (beating up girls in a bar !!), and poor play on a field of play does not justify leaving voice mails, emails, booing etc... but as I have said in the past... that is just my opinion.

Jacketguy and Buzzin, there you go again!

Where do you get such nonsense! You will not find one post I have ever made supporting booing of athletes. You seem to just pull items out of the air and assign them to a poster without any regard as to whether the poster has ever made the statement.

In fact, I have stated repeatedly, "I have never booed, and never will boo a student athlete, nor make derogatory remarks against them". I have further stated that an athlete is doing the best he can on the field. If there is a deficiency with the athlete's game, it is because of the coaching he is receiving.

I have consistently stressed, "a team's performance is a mirror image of its coaching". I have stated a player should not be attacked, but it is always open season on the coach. He is getting big bucks to take the heat.

You can search every post from the beginning of Stingtalk, and you will not find one post where I have assailed an athlete on the board or said I would boo an athlete. It is amazing what posters state on the board as excerpts from another when there is not a shred of truth to it.

I did say and will state again, "I think it is every fan's right to boo the coaches and referees". They buy the ticket that gives them the right. There is nothing you can do to stop them from booing short of getting your own self removed from the stadium.

It is not morally wrong and is another way for a fan to show his displeasure with repeatedly bad calls by the coach or referee.

Now, if you want to go even further, find one post by me that has ever critized an athlete on this board. You will find in every post of criticism, I have kept it strictly to the coaches.

Now, go search and see the errors of your ways.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

The only thing that should be frowned upon on the field is poor sportsmanship. True student athletes have a to manage and as such should be commended by merely completing their degrees. I say that anyone who really works to get their degree should be commended. I wish all people who truly put effort forth the best in their career and in life. Those willing to go the extra mile are those who are going to lead us into the future.

I'm not going to boo A.J., but maybe Gailey should be booed for continuing to run him out there. Then again, maybe Bilbo is just that bad. In fact, maybe we should call up O'Leary and boo him for making Suggs the best option.

Back