surreal

law_bee

Dodd-Like
everything seems so odd. Another walkon set to start.

Recruiting "appears" to be taking off. Is it possible that CG is going to UPGRADE our talent?

I HAVE A GOOD FEELING after one of the worst losses in GT history.

I still think we hired the right man for the job. I just hope next season is MUCH better.

The ACC is a better conference and it will be difficult to get wins against NCST, MD, FSU, and UVA.

law_bee

I really want to see it the same way as you stated, I REALLY do

But I keep coming back to

The lack of motivation for the biggest game of the year...

The lack of dicipline

Lack of execution (dumb penalities, inability to snap to the QB in shotgun

Questionable play calling

The whole Bilbo thing (whatever it is)

I WISH I could find some good reasons to be optimistic, but what will change the above ?

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
law_bee

The lack of dicipline

I WISH I could find some good reasons to be optimistic, but what will change the above ?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gold Rush,

I personally have been going back and forth between how lawbee feels and how you do. What I think would help to salve some wounds for the offseason would be a bowl win and a good recruiting class. Further, the team during the bowl game can play discplined and have a good game plan similar to the UVA/NCSU/FSU games and play hard and play to win.

This would not change everything, nor would it solve some of the issues that need to be addressed (a few of which you outlined), but it would at least make for a better offseason heading into the spring. Also, as fans we can hope that Coach Gailey has learned that he can not be as easy on the kids all the time--I think the biggest part of his "learning curve" has been realizing the difference between 18 to 22 yr. olds and paid pros in the NFL. I am hopeful that the lessons have been learned and the appropiate changes will be made.

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
law_bee

The lack of dicipline

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gold Rush .. we were motivated for our final game. before the ball was kicked off, do you think our players lacked motivation? they lost the motivation after it became clear that we did not stand a chance against UGA that day.

there was a lack of effort to play the whole 60 minutes of that game. coaches are to blame for letting the game get out of hand like that, but UGA played a great game, their talent level this year exceeded ours in all positions more or less, and yeah, they were a well coached team too.

the UGA game sucked but i am glad for one thing, if at all gailey did not understand the meaning of this game, he does now .. the result of this game and it's fallout has ensured that.

lack of discipline, lack of execution .. yeah we were inconsistent in this regard. we had some good games and some bad games. forget about the patsies, but do you think there was a lack of execution or discipline against UVA? or NC St?

there was a definite lack of discipline against Clemson, lack of execution in all the games we lost yeah ..

however, discipline and execution were a matter of consistency. there was discipline and execution at times and then there wasn't.

questionable play calling. every coach in every level in every sport (which requires play calling) will get this rap if their team does not meet the expectations of their fans. hindsight is great, however when you don't have hindsight, you have to rely on your game plan, which Gailey sticks to.

lack of in-game adjustments .. i still do not quite understand this aspect of the coaching game. the WFU loss lacked defensive adjustments and tenuta had lost to WFU a year ago in a close game at UNC ... don't have any idea about the philosophy of in-game adjustments or its lack thereof. a point of concern

the whole bilbo thing. i cannot figure it out either. but i do not know the whole story. a point of concern certainly.

i've been rambling on .. the above probably doesn't change your outlook towards your concerns gold rush .. but i've tried to point out that our team has been inconsistent this year.

well .. let me highlight some of the good points of the year.

tough loss at clemson .. swallowed it to come back and take on a decent BYU team.

tough loss at maryland, went into the NC state game and pulled out a huge V. many of us thought that we won't even have a winning season after that game was over.

played a very tough wahoo team down .. point of concern here was to completely go conservative on offense and almost let UVA come back into the game

came out against FSU with the perfect gameplan to beat them. credit the coaching staff for that. AJ let us down, let himself down. gailey probably learnt a lot about his players because of that game.

i'm sure you're following recruiting Gold Rush, i'm sure you think that recruiting is going better than we all expected.

Gailey didn't know these players, he didn't know the coaching staff ..

we had key injuries, injuries to individuals that would affect entire gameplans. hollings, gathers and don't forget manget got injured at a very critical junction of our season and that too had an astounding impact on gameday.

well, it was a stormy season however, in the very least, gailey has shown to have weathered quite a few storms and on the other hand, he has succumbed to a few storms too.

gailey is not the second coming of christ but he for sure is not the second coming of satan (B*** L****) either.

our regular season is over, the recruiting is going well, huge recruiting weekend coming up, our team is banged up but gearing for another bowl (albeit a "who cares except for loyal fans" bowl)

some fonts are talking about cutting losses, if Tech were to get rid of gailey after this season, why would any coach want to come to Tech.

for a first year coach, replacing a coach that quit, then leading a team into a post season bowl after losing plenty of talent to graduation and plenty more to injuries .. if such a coach were to be fired, why would any coach want to coach at Tech?

here's the MOST compelling reason to get behind Gailey. all of us rue the fact that the Head Coaching job at Tech has become a stepping stone. Bill Curry leaves for Bama, Bobby Ross leaves for the pros, O'Leary leaves for ND.

Gailey has been there and done that, he was the head coach of the Dallas cowboys for crying out loud! he's back in his home state and loves it. if he is successful (which i hope and pray and even believe he will be) he ain't going anywhere folks.

damn i have so much time on my hands, have a good day!

You make some great points, many of which I fully agree with.

Obviously, the very best thing that could happen is that next year all these questions disappear and we look sharp, well-coached, and with dicipline, good solid execution....I REALLY hope that happens.

I think recruiting is going VERY well, and thats encouraging....Gives me hope.

The things I listed are just things that nag at me, mainly because even if we have the #1 recruiting class in the land, the questions I have posed won't just go away, and these things reflect day-day coaching....

One more point....I've been a Tech fan for ~ 40 years...Have been going to BDS for the same period...As I was growing to love Tech, it was towards the end of the Dodd era and the subsequent coaches...That was also a time when college footbal fundamentally changed, by the intense recruitment of athletes with speed etc etc....Tech was on the low end of that curve, and in the early 70's, particularly under Carson, and the next couple of coaches and even somewhat under Pepper, it was apparent that Tech simply didn't have the athletes to match up (recall too that this was a time w/o scholly restrictions like we have now. (remember that Notre Dame gme when we tied w/o a QB ? One case in point)

One thing that REALLY made me love Tech, was that even though we were outgunned physically many many times, the grit and determination that Tech showed was literally awe-inspiring....Even in losses, that will and determination is really what made me come to love Tech.

When I saw the last 1/2 of the UMD game and the entire UGA game, I didn't see ANY of those traits at all..Quite the opposite...In my honest opinion there is NEVER an excuse to tank - NEVER EVER..

And for this old Tech fan, thats the hardest thing to swallow.....

It will be interesting to see if CG rallies the troops for the bowl game.If we win it will be a BIG statement that the Ga game was just a mere "divergence"on the season trip and CG's career efforts.
Not having Clinkscale or possibly Collins hurts but that's why you have backups.
Hope he sees the importance of the game.

ylojk8,

I hope you are right and Gailey is successful and here for a long time; what Tech fan wouldn't be happy about that.

I'm not as confident as you that he will stay if successful. If I recall correctly, he signed on for only one year. Braine made it sound at the time as a mutual agreement but the press made it sound like Gailey didn't want more than that.

Also, if your profession is coaching why wouldn't you leave for a bigger opportunity? Not saying it can't happen in todays market but it goes against the trend.

I really am not sure how, unless you're on the sidelines or in the game, to tell "quitting" from "having your John Brown hind parts handed to you". I didn't see the 2nd half of the Md game, and I'm tired of thinking about the Ga game.

Some very good posts in this thread.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
ylojk8,

I hope you are right and Gailey is successful and here for a long time; what Tech fan wouldn't be happy about that.

I'm not as confident as you that he will stay if successful. If I recall correctly, he signed on for only one year . Braine made it sound at the time as a mutual agreement but the press made it sound like Gailey didn't want more than that.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The contract was for 5 years. Most contracts are structured for at least 4 to 5 years--recruits committ to a coach moreso than a school, gotta at least have the appearance that the coach will be here for the duration of the kid's college career. Gailey did not want a "buyout" clause in his contract; this is probably what you were referring to.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
... but UGA played a great game... and yeah, they were a well coached team too.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">too ?????

Originally posted by ylojk8:
...the UGA game sucked....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Understatement of the year.

Beeware:

I think he meant IN ADDITION to playing a great game, UGA was ALSO well-coached.

I'm like you, Beeware: embarassed.

Seeing our boys dance on the G like a bunch of thugs...we were poseurs. Pretenders. Preening prima donnas. Suggs=our QC.

GT98,

Thanks for the update. That makes more sense to me. It lessens my concerns a tad, but coaches are jumping like frog legs in the frying pan right in the middle of those five year contracts...

wink.gif
wink.gif

beeware .. thanks for pointing out that i made understatements in my post.

what an honor you have bestowed upon me for reading that entire post.

ah i am blessed

2002 season boiled down to one thing: QB. Could it be that Chan Gailey is a good coach who made one HUGE blunder? OT: I wish y'all would lay off Bill Lewis. Things happened in'92-94 that people don't know about, and to Lewis' credit, he kept his mouth shut after he left Tech.

ram, I know this is the most unpopular statement I could ever make on this or any Tech board, and I may raise the ire of many, but I am going to anyway. If any must burn my bones, at least remember my name. Ram, I am with you, buddy.
The more I think I know about the goings on at Tech football land, the more I know that I know but very little about what goes on at Tech football land. Thank God for people who know a lot but also for those who know a lot but have wisdom enough, and class enough to know when not to say a lot; also for those who are willing to suffer in silence if need be for the good of the whole.
God bless.......

Originally posted by rammsting:
2002 season boiled down to one thing: QB. Could it be that Chan Gailey is a good coach who made one HUGE blunder? OT: I wish y'all would lay off Bill Lewis. Things happened in'92-94 that people don't know about, and to Lewis' credit, he kept his mouth shut after he left Tech.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Or, could he be a good coach who had one average QB and one not-ready QB, and a team that kept running into the injury buzzsaw?

Say more about BL, ramm. One "intangible" about him impressed me when he was hired, and still does: he paid his own buyout from E. Carolina in order to come to GT. He really wanted to be here.

Belly

I actually think its pretty easy to tell

I just erased a bunch of specific examples
because I don't want to go there, but believe me, I watch closely in these situations what players are doing, near and around the play (how active they are etc..)

Back