Sweep Action To PJ, Then PJ Handoff On A Reverse..

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
to a flanker would have caught the mutts with their drawers down when we threw that INT at the end of the game. They were really keying on PJ at the end. Before the mugging of Calvin on the goaline they had just thrown PJ for a loss so I think they were overpursuing, of course, I guess the coaches would have seen it. You think????????????
South Georgia Jacket

Or,

they would have been penetrating upfield quickly to disrupt the expected pass, and would dropped the reverse for a 12 yard loss.

Anything might have worked, including the play that was called. We didn't run a good route or throw a good pass or read the defense before the snap.

If They Were Penetrating That Deep Than....

a middle screen would have worked wonderfully. I'm not trashing the play we ran, usually that is a high percentage pass in the middle of the field because the DB has to worry about getting beat deep. But the DB does not have to worry about deep routes on the 11, the goaline serves as an extra defender, that's why I question the call. To be honest with you, I was hollering for the sweep to PJ on that play since we had gotten good yardage on that play for most of the night. Another play that I think may have worked well is option action with Reggie faking it to the FB then basically following him right into the hole. The reason I think that goes is because the one time I remember us running the option, UGA really strung it out for a loss. In fact, just givin it to the FB would have shocked the pants off of them since he has about two carries this season.
South Georgia Jacket

Re: If They Were Penetrating That Deep Than....

I don't disagree with ya, SouthGa, but run the same play again, and it will likely work....

Reggie's accuracy has just got to improve....

is it accuracy or 'touch'? Are they the same thing? With a little more 'touch', his fades to CJ down the sideline or in the corner of the endzone wouldn't sail out of bounds 10 feet above the receivers heads.

JJ, he does need more "touch" no question, but his accuracy is erratic as well.

[ QUOTE ]
With a little more 'touch', his fades to CJ down the sideline or in the corner of the endzone wouldn't sail out of bounds 10 feet above the receivers heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Reggie hasn't show he can't hit the high pass with any kind of accuracy (at least for my taste), as far as the 10 yard hook that yielded the int is concerned I didn't like that playcall in the redzone, we had used it on 3rd down at least twice in the game before but a hook route is very dangerous in the redzone when the DB knows he can afford to jump the route and not get beaten 50+ yards downfield if the QB pumps and goes long. DB's can afford to be more aggresive in the redzone since there isn't much real estate for receivers to exploit should the db get beat, which also brings me to the old debate of Finesse/Gimmick vs Pounding/Ball pocession offense, the finesse team fades in the redzone since there is less space to get open for the receivers while the pounder team just keeps running the ball until they break the endzone, not saying we are physical enought in the O-Line to be a running team, just suggesting it for next year when the hogs get some pounds.

Let it go. We could have thrown a touchdown and missed the extra point. Or we could have gone into overtime and stopped the Dawgs cold, making them kick a field goal. Then on our turn, we would have missed the tying field goal anyway! Or we could have....

Back